It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User
Neurontin for migraines? What works?

I been on 900mg of the generic (gabapentin) for a few months to prevent migraines. I guess they are less severe and frequent but then I started getting them often again a couple weeks ago. AND I put on 8 lbs from 1 weekend to the next. I think I may have gained a few more pounds since I last weighed myself. This is the most I have ever weighed (I'm petite). I'm totally bloated like I'm 6 months pregnant, which I am not! I read up on gaba and it seems that indeed weight gain and bloatedness are side effects. Also I read it's horrible to wean off of. I thought it wasn't addictive?

Anyone have experience with this med?

Ive tried many other meds for migraines, none seem to work or I get horrible side effects. Is there anything that does work? Maybe someone is on something I haven't taken?

Old 04-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Neurontin for migraines? What works?

I think I tried everything in the book, nothing worked, not even epidurals for my headaches, now I am on topamax and I have not had one headache, amazing, and no aide affects.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

Hi Sunny,

I tried Topamax, it made me so tired the next day I couldn't stay awake. Maybe I should retry now that I am on different meds.

Thanks for your reply

Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
(female)

gadgetgirl13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayDone View Post
I been on 900mg of the generic (gabapentin) for a few months to prevent migraines. I guess they are less severe and frequent but then I started getting them often again a couple weeks ago. AND I put on 8 lbs from 1 weekend to the next. I think I may have gained a few more pounds since I last weighed myself. This is the most I have ever weighed (I'm petite). I'm totally bloated like I'm 6 months pregnant, which I am not! I read up on gaba and it seems that indeed weight gain and bloatedness are side effects. Also I read it's horrible to wean off of. I thought it wasn't addictive?

Anyone have experience with this med?

Ive tried many other meds for migraines, none seem to work or I get horrible side effects. Is there anything that does work? Maybe someone is on something I haven't taken?
I have tried many, many preventatives for migraines as well. Neurontin (Gabapentin) is one of the few that work for me - but like you - I pack on the weight and I HATE it!! I have been on Neurontin for 2 years, and have gained 50 pounds!! I went to a new neurologist last week and he is putting me on Lamictal XR and weaning me off Neurontin. I can't wait until I am off of it. I am so hopeful that Lamictal XR will work for me.

If the anti-seizure meds work for you, like they do for me - there are a ton of them out there. I have been on Depakote ER, but that also causes weight gain, and caused a rash. I also tried Zonegran, Topomax, and a few others.

Good luck - I hope you find something that works for you.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Ladies: Migraines are related to epileptic seizures. It's all neurologicial and the best advice I can give all of you is to get your hormones checked - no matter your age. See if you're Estrogen Dominant and in need of some progesterone. Look up Estrogen Dominance on the web. There are around 40 symptoms of it and headaches are on it. Look at the site that's posted above on these boards - women/women - it tells you in an article on there about the relationship between the seizures and migraines. It's more common in women than men. You already know that they're giving you seizure meds for migraines. If you've got too much estrogen in you it's causing your brain cells to go nuts.

Last edited by 92261; 07-06-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: change

Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
(male)

airpainter80 HB User

Gabapentin should not be used for migraine treatment. Pfizer was found guilty in a federal RICO case for pushing off label use of drugs, including gabapentin. This included "cherry picking" studies, selective use of facts from studies, and refusal to publish other studies that were not favorable to thier drugs.
At least one study cited in court showed that patients on gabapentin for migraines actually faired worse than the placebo group.
All of this info has been published in multiple medical journals, so there really is no excuse for a dr to not be aware. So, long story short, if your Dr is prescibing gabapentin, get a new Dr.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
(female)

gadgetgirl13 HB User

I have been on Lamictal XR for only 2 days - and so far - so good. I am starting on a low dose initially and working my way up to a full dose of 100 mg a day. I am very hopeful that it works as I have tried many different ways to get rid of my migraines. Not only have I taken medication, I have tried Chriropractic Adjustments, wore a full set of braces for the second time, and massages. I am now considering acupuncture. Has anyone tried it and what effect does it have with migraines? Please let me know.

<edited: inappropriate>

Last edited by Administrator; 07-07-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment

Closed Thread