It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
(female)

has31 HB User
Constant Migraines

I have a friend that was hit by a car several years ago. He suffered a bad concussion and has a constant headache which lasts all 24/7. Sometimes the headaches turn into migraines which can last for 3-7 days. He has tried massage, was an inpatient at a headache clinic, prescribed headache meds, tried taking vitamins, ect. Nothing has helped him and some things made his headaches worse. He has yet to try acupuncture or some herbal remedies. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what should be done to rid him of constant pain?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
(female)

monkeymom HB Usermonkeymom HB User
Re: Constant Migraines

I too have constant head pain. I am under the care of a nurologist. Is your friend too? I am taking 200mg of Topamax and 200 mg of lamotrgine. I expect to be upped several more times. I am basically still non functioning due to this pain I am in. I can't eat most days, don't sleep, can't go outside without pain, can't do my household work, working with the kids is hard for homework (I have 4) dinnner at my house is sometimes gone to simple very simple dishes (used to cook very nice dishes) this stuff has sidelined me to nothing. I have tried midrin, maxalt, replax, and am currently trying prodrin - the doctor gave me a shot of demrol in the office, it put a ding in it, but didn't take the pain away. I had hydromorphone once in the er, that took it away except one little spot. (but it had gotten really bad at that point!)

If your friend I not under the care of a nurologist he should find one. The will be able to narrow down the cause of the pain. It will take sometime for them. It seems he may have had a bad concussion to have pain this bad still - they will have to work up to the med level he needs to be on, do more MRI tests and such, nerve tests - just to see what it is. Before, the one he had maynot have taken him serious. Told him it was something it wasn't... he needs to find one that cares. They are out there. Maybe a small local one to him who knows, call around... I like to talk to the front office a bit... if they are nice, chances are the dr is nice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
(male)

John18 HB User

Ive had Aura Migraines ever ince I was 7ish, and now im 29. My girl friend recently started heping me research cures and such. And she came across a topic that was about a lady whos daughter started having Migraines that lasted for days. She heard something about Apple Cidar Vineagar and she tryed it. It ended up working. Anyhow we bought braggs brand in a gallon and when one came I tryed it and sure enough after 30 minutes of blurred vision it worked, I thought it could be a fluke and waited for the next one to hit. Well it took that one away also. But on this last one it didnt take away all symptoms but I had no headache just blurred vision with hand numbness. I would tr that it could help infact I hope it does help..

Old 04-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
(female)

Have they recently gotten worse? If they have, I would still see a nurologist just to rule out anything else going on. (or at least a primary care dr) Do you have any other symptoms that you haven't had before with the migraines?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
(female)

has31 HB User

Thank you John. I will have my friend try Apple Cider Vinegar. It works great for other things too. I have done lots of research on headaches and everything I have found do not work, but I have not suggested ac vinegar.

Monkeymom:
He lives with a constant headache which sometimes turns into migraines lasting for days. After he was hit by a car he has never lived headache free. He has been under the care of MANY different kind of doctors. Nobody has helped. He was an inpatient at a headache clinic for two weeks and it did nothing for him. He said the stuff made him worse.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
(female)

Maybe then he doesn't have headaches or migranes actually then. He may have some other problem. If he was at a headache clinic, they were probably only treating for a headache type problem. Is there anything he does that does bring him some sort of relief,,, even just a little?? Avoiding light? Anything? Has he ever had an MRI done of his head or even a CT scan to determine how bad the damage was when he was hit by the car? All of that will determine of course how much long term damage he may have got from this. Hopefully he would be willing to go to another nurologist and be evaluated again. Does he see well? His eyes may have been affected also during the incident. That can cause head pain - I have optic nerve damage that is there forever and causes a great amount of pain. Also ongoing nerve damage in other parts of my body... don't know the extent of it yet... but we are getting there (me and the nurologist) - finally found one that will listen to me... at least seems that way. Hopefully I won't have to dump this one. Being in constant pain is not a fun place to be in. I know your friend is not excited about going to talk to another doctor who is going to drag the cat and mouse game out yet another time. But being in pain forever isn't a good place either... I know that. It feels really darn helpless and frustrating. There are a lot of things a nurologist can do to help manage the overall sensation of head pain - that a regular doctor will not. It takes a while for some of the medications to build up in the system. I am in month 5 of my therapy. I still have a while to build up. I have been in pain a REALLY long time. I still do not have daily relief. But it is not as bad as it was day one. I have to tell myself that. It still throbbs. It still pulsates. It still hurts to breathe, to blink to see... but it is slowly getting better. 400 mg of anti sezuire drugs later, it is getting better. I expect to at least double that before its over. (judging by the pain level i am still in) It hurt soo bad when i first started I could not hold my eyes open. At least now, I can for short periods of time... I can blink. My kids can talk to me again. Things are looking up a bit better. Tell your friend that a nurologist that is willing to help him is the one he needs to find. He will have to go thru a few... but it will be worth it. It will take a while to build up the meds in his system. It is not an overnight process, sadley enough - But I wish it was!

Here's too wishing I get some sleep tonight and wake up without pain in the morning!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
(male)

John18 HB User

If your around can you update us I am very curious to see if this has helped his headaches.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

jkruck HB User

I understand the pain your friend is going through I had a fall 28 years ago and ever since then have had headaches, I have been through MRI's, CT, Visual test, eye examines you name it just this last Monday I went through a MRA which showed a very small aneurysm of the left internal carotid artery in my brain I have yet to learn more about it but am due to have more doctors check into is up to this point the doctors were saying it was migraines and just recently I had a doctor tell me to stop taking the pain meds and deal with the pain. I think your friend should see a doctor and have a MRA done and not to give up I have not given up and it has been 28 years for me. Your friend should have a MRA if there is a problem that would show it. My MRI did not. I wish you luck and do not give up the fight remember that Doctors are not Gods and to also check with their insurance company to see where and how much the test would be covered under insurance because it could run anywhere from 600 to a couple of thousand if they do a MRI with or without contrast. Good luck to you

Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
(female)

tycopa HB User

Does the apple cider vinegar work? If so how much do you take? And when do you take it, in the morning, or during your migraine? Can it work to prevent?

Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
(female)

k2ms HB User
I have tell to and increased white blood cell count

I also have headaches constantly, this has developed over the last 2 months. Before they were frequent but not all the time.

Has your friend been for an MRI? I am having one next weekend to make sure it is nothing more serious.

Has anyone else had an increased white blood cell count??

Closed Thread