It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

Ferdy63 HB User
13 year old with constant migraines - advice please

My 13 year old daughter starting having headaches over the summer and they got progressively worse. She was diagnosed a couple of months ago by her pediatrician as having migraines. He didn't seem too concerned and gave her Imitrex nasal spray to use only for the most severe headaches and said just to use Tylenol for any others. She has used the Imitrex a couple of times and it helps but she is having headaches daily. It's gotten to the point that she doesn't want to participate in activities anymore because even if she doesn't have a headache, she knows she will get one. She doesn't like for lights to be turned on and she always has to keep the ceiling fans going to keep her room cool. They did basic neurological tests and she had no problems. I'm just wondering what other options we have. I don't like her taking 2-4 Tylenol every day and they really don't seem to help much.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Ferdy63
soulizfree (11-25-2010), vwalker36 (10-28-2010)
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: 13 year old with constant migraines - advice please

Ferdy63: Look into giving her Melatonin and Magnesium. Get her tested for allergies and see what her vitamin levels are at. She might also benefit from B6 and B12. I bet some of it is puberty and hormones. Watch out for foods with MSG and soy. Soy is a phytoestrogen and increases estrogen in the body. Too much estrogen can lead to headaches. Even though she's young she could still have too much of it.

Fluorescent lights are bad for her and she might even be sensitive to smells. Does she play video games and get on the computer alot. The EMF's could be causing headaches. See if you can get her to an endocrinologist and have her endocrine system checked to see if they can pinpoint any problems in her system. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
(male)

John18 HB User

Alright I have been researching Migraines for a long time now. I have been suffering from aura migraines for about 22 years now. I started having them when I was 7 and now im 29. Through out the years they went from severe to ones I could deal with back to severe. When I was young I would have one about every 4 to 6 months and maybe even longer. Then I would get them every 3 months to every month when I gotten older. But recently through the help of my GF I happened to stumble upon two things that have help tremendously. 1. Apple Cidar Vinegar 2. Magnesium Tablets... First I stumbled upon Magnesium learning that people with a Magnesium deficiency would have Headaches/Migraines. So this woman was talking about how she started taking Magnesium supplements which you can buy over the counter and how they stopped. Well I started to take them and noticed nothing at first, and this is how my girlfriend found out how Apple Cidar helped people with Migraines. Well then we had gotten the Liquid form one day and waited. To make a long story short one day one hit me and I drank some Cidar and bam half hour later no Migraines. Today I take 3 Apple Cidar Vinegar Tablets and 1 Magnesium tablet everyday and I havnt had a Migraine in over 4 months which is so kick butt. Please try this and let me know how this has help with your daughter. I would appreciate it. God Bless you and your family, and I hope this will help.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-19-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

Does your daughter still have her wisdom teeth? My sister and I suffered for years only to find that our wisdom teeth were the problem. As soon as we had them removed the migraines stopped. My sister missed countless days of work, tried many different medications like imitrex, spent lots of money. You may want to look into it...Sincerely, searchin

Old 10-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
(female)

Erinp2005 HB User

I have been having headaches since i was around 8 years old. I still do not know the causes. they are always different! I tried apple cider vinegar, b2 vitamins, and magnesium.. it only made matters worse. I am perscribed zomig now. I understand what you mean about taking medicine all the time. It was one of my concerns for myself growing up. doctors couldn't diagnosis me and just kept trying to get me to take pills!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
(female)

Emmalyse HB User

I agree whole heartedly with the magnesium. It can sometimes cause intestinal problems, i.e. diahrea (sp). There is a magnesium that you spray on your skin called Dermamag. It is absorbed through the skin and bypasses the intestines; therefore no intestinal problems.

Also try giving her Iron tablets. At 13 she could have already started her cycle or will soon. Many women suffer from menstral migraines often brought on by low iron levels due to mensis. If you opt to give her the Iron, it's best to use for a few days prior to menstration until a couple of days into it.

Also, her hormones at that age are on constant high, so let her know that once her body adjusts to the new hormones it is very likely that the migraines will level out and become less often.

Good luck, and please give her a hug. I feel for her.

Emmalyse

Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
(female)

vwalker36 HB User

I suffer from migraines myself, and take Zonegran every day as a preventative. Seems to work very well. My daughter started having migraines (total of 3) a few months ago. the first one lasted for 3 days and we ended up in the ER to get her a shot. I believe it was due to hormones and puberty - they have since stopped for the moment but we have meds on hand. I had her drinking LOTS of water, and had her take ibuprofen "as soon as" she started feeling a headache. This seems to help. She was also not eating very well at the time - we stay pretty busy - and her system just seemed to be run down. With her intake of water increased by ALOT, taking ibuprofen when needed, and eating better, the migraines are gone.

Closed Thread