It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

Tempted HB User
Right sided headache with pain in the right eye

Hi there,

I've been experiencing a very specific type of headache for a long while now. The most prominent part is pain across the right eye (which is also my bad eye), but frequently it extends to different parts of the right side of my head. The pain is not pulsing, more of a pressing kind. It appears and moves from the (right) back of my head, to the top, to the front, to the side, rather randomly. The pain in my eye seems to be either right in the eye, or above, sometimes the whole socket. It doesn't effect my vision.

Usually it starts off bearable, and remain so for many hours. If I catch it early I can make it stop with a regular pain killer. But if I stupidly try to tough it out, it turns very unbearable to the point I can't function, and very rarely it makes me sort of nauseous. At that point pain killers rarely work and usually they just make it bearable and dull the pain, but it's still there.

I'm not sure how frequently I get it, it seems to be rather random. I don't think it correlates with my period (even though my period isn't perfectly regular either), but I can't say I'm sure of it. Sometimes I would get it very often, and sometimes I can go for a long time not experiencing anything of a kind. I have consistently low blood pressure, and I feel tired a lot (just throwing in things that might be related?). Nobody in my family have a serious history of migraines, and I was never diagnosed. I don't light or sound sensitivities when I have it, I'm just feeling as if anything just makes it worse.

I just want some second opinions on this. This last recent time I had it was really bad, and honestly I'm worried. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User
Re: Right sided headache with pain in the right eye

Have you had an eye exam?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
(female)

Tempted HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurlbert3 View Post
Have you had an eye exam?
Yes, my right eye has a slight number (left eye is completely fine). I was told that is wasn't big enough to cause headaches. When I had constant headaches at some point I resorted to wearing glasses 24/7, it didn't help much.

Last edited by Tempted; 09-25-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

What do you mean a slight number? And what do you mean that it is your bad eye?

Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
(female)

Tempted HB User

Quote:
What do you mean a slight number? And what do you mean that it is your bad eye?
Sorry, I'm not a native speaker. I meant a diopter number. My left eye is completely normal, and my right eye is slightly blurry unless I wear glasses.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Being a diopter shouldn't cause you to have headaches unless your eyes are really straining to see things. When you had your eye exam did they dilate you?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
(female)

Tempted HB User

Quote:
Being a diopter shouldn't cause you to have headaches unless your eyes are really straining to see things. When you had your eye exam did they dilate you?
I don't think they did. The doctor checked my pupils though. I don't feel the headaches have a strong connection to my eye sight though. Usually what hurts is the top part of my right eye socket, along with the headache I described in the original post. At some point I was having these headaches very frequently (day after day), and I wore my glasses all the time - it didn't help to stop them from happening.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

My concern is that a certain type of glaucoma can cause the symptoms you are describing. I'm more concerned that they didn't dilate you. The condition is called narrow angle glaucoma. You should call them and asked if they dilated you and if not ask them to check your angles to make sure they are open. I know it sounds strange but if let untreated could cause problems. Let me know what you find out.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
(female)

Tempted HB User

Quote:
My concern is that a certain type of glaucoma can cause the symptoms you are describing. I'm more concerned that they didn't dilate you. The condition is called narrow angle glaucoma. You should call them and asked if they dilated you and if not ask them to check your angles to make sure they are open. I know it sounds strange but if let untreated could cause problems. Let me know what you find out.
Will do.

I talked to my mother about it since I read it could be genetic, and she says she did experience re-occurring headaches as well. She said it was exclusively on her left side on the head, but yet her right eye and the eye socket hurt when it happen. She said the headaches stopped after she was involved in a car accident and suffered a light head trauma. Apparently her sister had/has constant headaches too (and also, like all of us, had bad right eye). Nobody in the family lost their eye sight though.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
(female)

Tempted HB User

Apparently they didn't dilate me when I had my eye exam. It is a serious possibility? Of all the symptoms, I only got the headaches with the eye pains, I'm 22 years old, and there doesn't seem to be a history in the family.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Well there doens't necessarily have to be family hx but you are young and it typically runs in young people who are nearsighted. When you go back to the eye dr find out what your eye pressure was and what size your optic nerves are to, that can also be a telling sign. I wouldn't let this go on without investigating it further. Keep me posted.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #12
(female)

Tempted HB User

Quote:
Well there doens't necessarily have to be family hx but you are young and it typically runs in young people who are nearsighted. When you go back to the eye dr find out what your eye pressure was and what size your optic nerves are to, that can also be a telling sign. I wouldn't let this go on without investigating it further. Keep me posted.
Actually I'm farsighted (in one eye), but I'll check it anyway. Better be safe than sorry. Yesterday I had that sort of headache/eye-ache again, but I think it was more due to slight dehydration. I'll try to get to the eye doctor soon, and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for everything!

Closed Thread