It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

sspayd05 HB User
Charley Horse in the Head???

OK, I am here hoping someone can help me, b/c the doctors can't seem to figure out what is going on.... Long story, made short....

In August I had my L5-S1 fusion with cage and screws. Did great and then had some inflammation in joints. Prescribed Prednisone Dosepack. Finished it. Woke up the next day very sore in neck and shoulders. Following day felt "sunburned" in neck, shoulders and upper back, had a headache and felt dizzy. Called nurse, said wasn't symptom of the Prednisone.

Sick feeling all the next day, and ended up vomitting late that evening. In the process of throwing up, I got this severe pain in the back of my head that I can only descibe as feeling like a charley horse. I have never felt anything so painful. Went to the ER, they did a CT scan that came back ok, so they treated me for a migraine (never have had any before).Once the medicine set in and pain eased off they Sent me home and told me to follow up with dr.

Have had pressure in back of head and very stiff neck since then (5 days now). Had bloodwork taken, mono levels raised, but negative for MOno. Negative also for RA and LUpus, and negative for infection around cages and screws in lower back. Being referred to a NEuro, but they can't see me until the middle of November.

I am told to not take NSAIDs b/c they reduce the healing process of my surgery. BUT, my IBU 800 is the only thing that relieves any pressure or pain in the back of my head and neck, but only for about 2 hrs and then its back.

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of pain? ANd if so, PLEASE PLEASE help me and explain to me what to do until NOVEMBER. Thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User
Re: Charley Horse in the Head???

Oh my gosh. I got on here hoping to post a question about this very same thing. I couldn't belive you described exactly what I'm dealing with right now. The charly horse thing, not the surgery. I too got this extreme pain following a bout of vomiting. I think that we both have pulled a muscle in our head, as weird as that sounds. I looked it up on Google. The "Sternocleidomastoid Muscle" is where minie starts. Right behind my left hear and radiates upward in a curve over the top of my left head and sometimes causes severe pain on my left forehead. I have dealt with this for about 4 days straight. I'm losing sleep. About the only thing that helps is Fiorcet that I've had on hand for migraines. That's a Tylenol/caffeine/muscle relaxer combination medicine. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, or since it's 1:30 a.m., I guess today. I just woke up in severe pain. But, On Goodle, it said to ice and heat the "injury". Ice to reduce the blood flow and swelling...which I don't feel any swelling, but I guess it can be minimal. And heat to relax the muscles. It also suggested slow excersizes such as rotating the neck left and right, ear to ear, chin to chest and a half rotate from side to side. And it suggest massaging it. After I see the doctor, I will repost and tell you what he says. I'm sorry you can't take the NSAIDS due to your surgery. But I hope you find some releif. Oh, I forgot, one suggestion on Google was to where a neck brace to keep the neck stationary. It did state to rest it as much as possible.

If anyone has any advice other than what I've mentioned, please help us. I'm in agony also. I was gonna post my own thread for this, but no need now.

Good Luck to you!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
(female)

sspayd05 HB User

How did your dr appt go today? I called the Neuro today and they just happened to have a cancellation tomorrow and so I took it. I had another episode of it this morning when I had a bowel movement. NOt that I was straining but I was kind of "pushing" b/c my stomach hurt and when I did, it happened, but not as severe as Tues night when I threw up. I don't know if I held my breathe or if when I pushed I cut off the oxygen flow or really what happened. All I know is it hurt again. My neck is still stiff. My pain is more in the lower back part of my head, not to the left. I also hurt in the forehead now too. I am hoping the neurosurgeon can give me some sort of idea what is causing this, b/c it is starting to scare me.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User

I just got back from the doctor and he said that the inflammation from the pulled muscle, which may or may not have happened when I vomited, is pinching on a nerve. He said it wasn't permanent and that when the inflammation goes down, it'll go away, but in the mean time, he injected the area that was the most sore, which the pain was radiating from, he injected it with some sort of Lidocaine or something to numb it temporarily to give me some relief. The problem is, I didn't get instant relief because I also have fibromyalgia, so anytime something is poked or prodded at, it is sore for a while. So the area is sore as well as the rest of my head where I've been massaging it. He told me to go home and put heat on it. So, I hope that this will be a temporary thing for you too. Maybe he can give you some immediate relief. Don't worry too much about it, I'm sure it's just a pulled muscle. I did have the spasms when I had a bowel movement also, and when I leaned forward. It would hurt so bad that I got nauseated and broke out in a sweat. I can't remember if I mentioned in my earlier post also that it can trigger nausea, due to a certain nerve that's being affected. But yeah, it's also mostly at the back of my head, just the back left side. I hope you get answers and feel better soon. Let me know how it goes.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrocrafter View Post
Oh my gosh. I got on here hoping to post a question about this very same thing. I couldn't belive you described exactly what I'm dealing with right now. The charly horse thing, not the surgery. I too got this extreme pain following a bout of vomiting. I think that we both have pulled a muscle in our head, as weird as that sounds. I looked it up on Google. The "Sternocleidomastoid Muscle" is where minie starts. Right behind my left hear and radiates upward in a curve over the top of my left head and sometimes causes severe pain on my left forehead. I have dealt with this for about 4 days straight. I'm losing sleep. About the only thing that helps is Fiorcet that I've had on hand for migraines. That's a Tylenol/caffeine/muscle relaxer combination medicine. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, or since it's 1:30 a.m., I guess today. I just woke up in severe pain. But, On Goodle, it said to ice and heat the "injury". Ice to reduce the blood flow and swelling...which I don't feel any swelling, but I guess it can be minimal. And heat to relax the muscles. It also suggested slow excersizes such as rotating the neck left and right, ear to ear, chin to chest and a half rotate from side to side. And it suggest massaging it.

One of my relatives had a headache and I helped massage hers by using a technique a physical therapist showed me. Both hands are spread out over the head and very gently using tiny circles with the fingers going around. It was also helpful to bring the fingers through the hair around the whole scalp. Of course a person could also use long strokes down the back of the neck.

After I see the doctor, I will repost and tell you what he says. I'm sorry you can't take the NSAIDS due to your surgery. But I hope you find some releif. Oh, I forgot, one suggestion on Google was to where a neck brace to keep the neck stationary. It did state to rest it as much as possible.

If anyone has any advice other than what I've mentioned, please help us. I'm in agony also. I was gonna post my own thread for this, but no need now.

Good Luck to you!

Last edited by sjb; 10-18-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
(female)

sspayd05 HB User

Thanks for following up. I hope that the injection helps you and that you start to get some relief as well. My left side of my neck hurts right now that I have an ice pack on it and just took 2 of my Tramadol. My vision gets blurred from time to time as well, especially like now looking at the computer. Mu focus is also off, and I have a test tomorrow for one of my classes. I will follow up tomorrow after my doctor appt.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User

Hey, how are you? The injection didn't help me much. I think I've got two muscles that are pulled. The side one next to my ear and then the top one on the left side of my head. It seemed to help the side muscle, but I'm having a lot of pain still at night from the base of my skull up over my head and left forhead. The problem eases off in the daytime, but is terrible at night. I wake up in extreme pain every couple of hours. I don't know what's wrong. I'm hoping it's still what the doctor says, and not something else.

Closed Thread