It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
(male)

Jaybird4368 HB User
Need suggestion-long term med for chronic migraines

I've had chronic migraines for about 12 years now..Long story short, had had several MRI's over the past decade and even surgery to weaken my inferior oblique muscle right eye as I believe the migraines are vision strain related..

Recently, I've been to several neurologists and a neuro/ophthamologist I've tried over a dozen preventative migraine meds including neurotin, depakote, topamax and lyrica...I've some limited success with neurtion but everything else was a strike out..

For abortive meds, I've tried several triptans including Imitrex, Frova and Maxalt with negative results as well..

Recently my neuro put me on Ryzolt (Tramadol) 200 mg on top of the Lyrica and the Tramadol actually gave me a severe headache as well as hangover/flu type symptoms and did nothing to treat pain..the Tramadol was a total disappointment...

The only major success I've had in the past was with Vicodin ES, Fioricet w/ Codeine and Nucynta (a new Schedule II synthetic opiate similar to a narco) but none of these of prescribed for long term use in treating chronic migraines (some of my severe migraines last several days)...

Can anyone recommend a non narcotic that will completely abort my migraines or recommend a narco that is suitable for everyday use...i guess i'm looking for something to Vicodin that is safe for daily use..my migraines have had a major negative impact on my work and social life...

Any fellow migraine sufferers with advise??

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Jaybird4368
bostonmama (01-01-2011), thundercats (08-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
(female)

Emmalyse HB User
Re: Need suggestion-long term med for chronic migraines

I'm so sorry for your suffering!! I am sort of in the same boat. I've had a migraine that has ranged from a 6 to a 10 for over 6 1/2 years now. I am completely disabled by this.

I have recently found a couple of things that help.

1) Magnesium - I actually prefer the one that you spray onto your skin (MagDerma) as it bypasses my liver, which gets enough of a workout from morphine, maxalt, etc., etc. However even a simple supplement can help. What it does is relax the smooth muscles, such as those of the blood vessels and surrounding nerves.

2) Is a device recently approved by the FDA called "De-Ka Titan". It's great as it sits on the wrist kind of like a watch and controls the positive negative fluxuations of the neurons, which is how pain is sent along the nerve. The only problem with this can be the price. $400 just to try it to see if it helps. For me it decreases my pain about 20%.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you find something that helps. I'm still searching for the magic combo that takes my pain away completely, but am not giving up.

Emmalyse

Last edited by moderator2; 10-27-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: please do not post your email address

Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
(female)

bostonmama HB User

I just hugged you b/c I'm dealing with the same thing - only my migraines are relatively new (2 years). I can't imagine suffering for 12 years without some consistently effective treatment. You must be so frustrated. I have been thru the Imitrex failure, the misery of Tramadol, and am now on Vicodin (and rather unhappy about it, though it tends to work when I take a full dose. Alas, I'm useless in just about every way when I take said full dose.).

I'll be watching your query for answers - there has to be a non-narcotic intervention!

Be well, and Happy New Year!
bostonmama

Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Have you tried propanolol as a preventative? It is generaly regarded as the gold standard, dose 40-80mg twice a day

For accute migraines, compazine plus 800mg ibuprofen is generaly quite effective, a compazine suppository and a voltaren suppository is even more effective than oral meds.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
(female)

bostonmama HB User

jonnstar-
I was taking propanalol - 40 mg - when I was first diagnosed in August of '08. It was prescribed by an NP for anxiety - specifically "stage-fright." I was suddenly required to do a fair share of public speaking (near daily), which, at the time, I found particularly disagreeable. I took propanalol for about 8 weeks - it actually increased and intensified my headaches. So that's off the table.

I wonder about the value of perhaps an alternative, low-dose anti-anxiety tab. Xanax was ineffective for me, and MD's are loathe to prescribe Valium over here. Have you had any experience to this end?

Reading up on compazine & voltaren. Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
(male)

jay97 HB User

I've been taking Zoloft for most of 14 years, as a preventative. It does reduce the frequency of migraines for me, quite a bit. I know this because I was off it for a while and I did get them more often. But for me, it doesn't stop them entirely.

I also take propanolol as a preventative, which lessens them even more, though I see that didn't work for you.

When I do get them, Maxalt MLT works pretty good for me. I love ice packs when I can use them. If my migraine doesn't taper off even a little from the first Maxalt, I'll take a Vicodin with the next one. It's almost like the pain is so bad, the Maxalt can't work, and the Vicodin helps break the pain.

I've had migraines for 40 years, my mother, brother and 2 of my kids get them.

Good luck to you. They are miserable.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
(female)

bostonmama HB User

thank you, jay97, for your thoughtful and helpful reply.

You mention some psychopharmacology (Zoloft). I actually began taking a low dose of BuSpar last week - it's an antianxiety med that I think my doc is more comfortable prescribing than one of the benzodiazapines. I am hopeful about it. I have never taken Maxalt - it's something I'll explore with my MD.

Again, I am grateful that you shared. Happy 2011!

Closed Thread