It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

bartonse HB Userbartonse HB User
Question Migraines with sensitivity to sound and slurred speech

Hi all,

I started suffering from really bad headaches when I was about 16, my doctor put it down to stress as I was studying for my GCSE's. Ever since then I have suffered from regular headaches and migraines. My mother and aunts all suffer from migraines too.

My migraines started getting worse about 5 years ago and I had to keep taking time off work as I couldn't get out of bed. I had classic symptoms (nausea etc) so my doc prescribed me Migraleve. These tablets worked wonders at the time but the doc thought my contraceptive pill was the cause so that was changed every few months! I was also made to try other methods but nothing made the migraines stop. I am now on the depo injection.

Last December was extremely stressful at work and I ended up getting migraines every saturday morning which would last all weekend. After a month of this I'd had enough and went back to my docs . . he signed me off with stress for 4 weeks. I felt like a let down as I felt fine (apart from the migraines!) In the month I had off work I didn't have any migraines or headaches, it was wonderful.

That was February and it's now November. I still get migraines and they have been more frequent again but nothing like they were before. The pain is worse when I get them though . . I end up crying because all I want to do is rip the top of my head off to relieve the pressure! I've also become really sensitive to sound and slur my speech like i've lost the use of my mouth, this is quite new and am not sure if it's normal??

Does anyone else get migraines like these?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User
Re: Migraines with sensitivity to sound and slurred speech

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have inherited the susceptibility to migraines, but at least you've found that stress is a contributing factor. Because of the stress factor, you might want to ask your doctor to give you information on stress reduction techniques. They may not prevent your headaches, but everything you can do to minimize the suffering is one more thing to add to your "toolbox" for dealing with the pain.

Another thing to consider is the use of prophylactic (preventative) meds like amitriptyline. In low doses, amitriptyline has been shown to reduce the frequency and severity of migraine attacks for many people. Ask your doctor about this (if your doctor wants to try it, you might want to ask about nortriptyline instead of amitriptyline, since it has fewer undesirable side effects.)

If you haven't already done so, read up on migraines and their prevention. Most migraine sufferers know that certain foods are definite triggers, but may not realize how other foods (even certain smells) can trigger or predispose you to migraine attacks. Finally, consider headache clincs like the Diamond clinics. They specialize in treating migraines and other headaches, and are usually on the leading edge of migraine treatments.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
(female)

Frenzied HB User

look up "hemiplegic migraines." I only mention it because of your slurred speech. My brother and sister get the hemiplegic migraines - they are genetic for sure.

I get migraines, but not the the hemiplegic, that mimic a stroke.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
(female)

Thanks Frenzied, I've looked up the migraines you mentioned and although the slurred speech is a symptom I suffer from, there are many others that I don't. I'm still not sure what the trigger is for my migraines, it's not food or smell but I can get migraines if I skip a meal or if I'm stressed.

My doc prescribed me Naramig (?) but I didn't get on with it at all so just use Migraleve on a regular basis.

Thankfully I've not had an attack for a few weeks and hopefully won't get one for a while.

Hope you're well.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I definitely get those kinds of migraines! My heart goes out to anyone suffering with migraines. I could rather get my double hernia surgery done over again than have a severe migraine! I am fortunate that I have greatly been able to cut down on my severe migraines, but my heart still hurts a lot and I have to be VERY cautious to not get them again.

Amitriptyline was mentioned.... I took something similar, nortryptiline. Unfortunately I was very sensitive to it and had the opposite reaction of what normally would happen. It's supposed to help you sleep and may make you a bit sleepy, which is why you usually take it at night. It made my heart race and pound and kept me awake! Since I'm tired a lot, I kind of liked that it woke me up, but lack of sleep is one of my migraine triggers. Eventually I started getting more migraines because I had much trouble sleeping! My doctor had me take half of my dosage in the morning and half at night, so I could sleep better. This worked much better with the side effects, but I didn't really get any improvement my doctor originally wanted me to be at a higher dosage, so maybe if I made my way up to it, it would have worked. Who knows!

My cervical spine is involved with my migraines and headaches and physical therapy has done wonders! My head hurts often, but it's a much more manageable kind of pain. I feel like I hit the back of my head hard and feel sore and very tired and need to lay down a lot and do neck exercises. The good thing is that the pain stays mostly in that area and doesn't turn into a migraine! I get severe menstrual migraines and actually use my birth control pill to my advantage. I have no signs of the pill causing the migraines since they developed years after taking the pill... but I now use the pill to skip every other period! Soon I will try having my period only every three months. It's wonderful to have half as many severe migraines. I was worried I'd get in trouble by missing so many work days.

Stress plays a huuuuge part in migraines & headaches! I like doing Pilates or some kind of moderate exercise for my stress, as well as massages or just doing a hobby I enjoy. I don't recommend very vigorous exercise right now if you are sensitive to getting migraines! I also try to eat regular meals and even little snacks here and there. I also get a migraine if I go too long without food.

I hope things get better for you! I am considering acupuncture or seeing a chiropractor if I still have trouble down the road. I would have never considered alternative medicine in the past... but I guess after a while, you will try ANYTHING to feel good!

Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks for your reply tUrRrRa! It sounds like you've had a pretty rough time so I hope that you can find something that works long term.

I'm taking part in a "Fatboy" challenge with some friends so I've increased my exercise and have changed my eating habits. I seem to be grazing on fruit, nuts and cereal all day so I never feel hungry and it seems to have helped with my head. . . haven't had a migraine in ages!

I used to get menstrual migraines so came off the pill a few years ago in favour of the injection . . . However, that's caused more problems than it was worth so i'm being ordered back onto the pill by my doc. Fingers crossed that I get on better with the pill this time.

My neck hurts a lot but I put that down to having an office job staring at a computer all day so I need to make sure I remember to take regular breaks and stretch my muscles.

It's weird how SO many things can contribute to a migraine/headache. Just wish there was a simple answer.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Good luck with everything you mentioned! I need to start keeping small, healthy snacks at my desk to avoid getting headaches/migraines or just feeling bad in general. I also have a desk job and my doctor told me to really start paying attention to my posture and also to be sure that your computer is raised at eye level. Having to look a bit downwards can actually contribute to migraines. Birth control can really play a big part, so I hope you get that figured out. I know people who did better without any kind of hormonal birth control and then some people that did better with it. I've also heard that some pills with lower estrogen levels might be better for those who get menstrual migraines. Some people also do well with pills that are the same throughout the month (with the exception of the placebo/reminder pills) rather than those with varying amounts of hormones. I wish there were an easy answer on how to cure or at least help migraines, but it's definitely complicated. I hear so many people who get tests done all with normal results, so you really have to look at EVERYTHING. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

Yep, slurred speech can be caused by migraine. I sometimes appear to be drunk when suffering a migraine. Losing your vision can also occur. Stress caused or not you need preventative medication if they are causing that much lost time at work.

Good Luck.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
(female)

It's been a while since I started this post but things haven't improved much at all.

I'm still getting regular migraines (at least 1 a week) but they are changing . . I don't get slurred speech anymore but am still very sensitive to sound. I also feel really sick and have actually thrown up a couple of times. I don't understand it at all!

My 'new' migraines tend to last longer and I've had to take time off work because I've been unable to move from my bed.

I know that my migraines are not hormonal because I have an estrogen deficiency. The docs considered putting me back on the birth control pill but decided that it was too dangerous because of my migraines. I also can't pick out any food types that might trigger an attack. I'm still eating well, drinking lots of water and exercising regularly.

I don't know what else to do??

When I feel a migraine coming on I take Migraleve (pink) tablets and if I'm at home I'll use a cool strip across my forehead as the coolness seems to help. Migraleve rarely kills the pain though so I top up with Ibruprofen every few hours until I can go to sleep.

Closed Thread