It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
(female)

mizznikki88 HB User
Migraine lasting a week

Iv had a very severe migraine going on 6 days now. Iv suffered from migraines since i was 2 years old. This one is especially painful, feeling like someone is taking a hammer to my temples. I feel very nausiated and light and sound sensitive. I have tried taking OTC migraine medications, including Excedrin. I have also tried Imitrex, with no avail. It will go away for a few hours after the Imitrex, but comes back within 3 or so hours, or I will wake up with it almost as bad before the imitrex. I currently do not have a doctor, i lost my insurance a few years ago. Im terrified of going to the ER, as Im afraid of being called a hypochondriac(the emergency rooms here seem more worried about giving medication to an addict than they are worried about people who are actually sick and in pain)
any advice? please?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Migraine lasting a week

See somebody - there are non addictive drugs that could abort your long standing migraing (DHE + meteclopramide, chlorpromazine, prochlorperazine.... these arnt what drug seekers go after, so you wouldnt have any worries there)

You could also go to a walk in clinic and ask for a script for a few Thorazine suppositories - one of these will make you sleep for 8-10 hours, and will also kill the migraine.

Whatever happens, after six days of migraine, you need medical help to make sure there isnt anything more serious going on.

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-15-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
(male)

Jaybird4368 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
See somebody - there are non addictive drugs that could abort your long standing migraing (DHE + meteclopramide, chlorpromazine, prochlorperazine.... these arnt what drug seekers go after, so you wouldnt have any worries there)

You could also go to a walk in clinic and ask for a script for a few Thorazine suppositories - one of these will make you sleep for 8-10 hours, and will also kill the migraine.

Whatever happens, after six days of migraine, you need medical help to make sure there isnt anything more serious going on.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
(male)

Jaybird4368 HB User

Yea your only option may to be to go to a walk-in clinic or a primary that takes walk ins and let them know your pain level and the reality is you may need narcos to knock out a stubborn migraine cycle on a headache that lasts that long..if you ask for Tylenol 3 (with Codeine) or Fioricet w/ Codeine or something like Ulram (Trammadol) you will get a better reception that if you ask for vicodin or percocet etc. but if you need a narco then don't let yourself suffer in pain, especially if you've exhausted your other options, you need to function and not be in constant pain...

Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

First of all let me just say I hate migraines that last that long. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just going to have a headache for the rest of my life by that point! I am so sorry about the never-ending-migraine. I totally understand.

I agree with everyone else. You need to go into a walk-in clinic. You should not have to deal with that amount of pain for that long! I've had to go the ER with bad migraines and they thought I was some joker/junkie who just needed a fix, but I fought with them till they finally gave me the drugs I needed. Don't let any medical people treat you like an idiot or like they don't believe you! You know what's going on inside you because you are the one feeling it. Stand up for yourself and get the pain management you need.

Sorry, I was giving myself that speech as much as I was giving it to you. I finally found a doctor that takes my pain seriously and gives me the pain meds that I honestly need. I hope by this point your headache is gone! If not I think it's time for a trip to a walk in clinic or emergency care facility. A friend of mine the other day went to her doctor with a migraine that she'd had for nine days. They gave her a shot of something, when that didn't kick it they gave her a prescription of vicodin, when that didn't kick it they told her to come back in so she could have some morphine. After fighting the pain for a long time they finally won and that's what you need to do too.

Also! If the pain is different and stronger than usual I suggest getting a CT scan. It may be more serious than you realize.

Well I have to get to class (fortunately I can because the migraine I woke up with this morning is GONE GONE GONE! YAY!). Hope you feel better now or soon!

Resa

Closed Thread