It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

Momof3OH HB User
No insurance what can I do?

Hi, I am a 27 year old mom of 3 from OHIO. 3 years ago I was hit by a drunk-driver. Both of our cars were totaled. When he hit me my right temple smashed into the rear view mirror hard enough to break it completely as well as knock it off the windshield. I lost consciousness for a few moments(Not sure how long). The day it happened I had a rather large "goose-egg". The very next day when I woke up the swelling on my temple was gone and there was an indent left in the area which I still have to this day. When this happened I did have insurance because I was 6 months pregnant. But due to being pregnant they weren't able to do any tests. Everything with the baby was ok and at that point that was all I was worried about. She was good and I have since had her and she's great, she has no problems from all that. THANK GOD!! After I had her of course they took the insurance off of me. So at this point I am still not able to get this checked out by a DR. SO the problems I'm having is severe migraines. I have headaches on a daily basis. Some days are better than others but none the less every day. Sometimes it is to the point of interfering with my everyday life. At some points I need to go to the emergency room to get some relief. They just give me shots of narcotic pain medications and an anti-nausea medication. Which I appreciate but being that I have no insurance they will not run any tests to see what is causing this I do not want to have to just take pain pills for this(Prescription or any other). I have a hiatal hernia and medications, the majority of the time cause my stomach to become very upset. I would like to be able to know what is causing these migraines and if there is anything to do to "fix" it so that I don't have them at all or at least diminish them a great deal. I don't know if these symptoms are related to the migraines or not: I see like red laser like flashes in my vision or black spots, my hands and ankles go numb on me, and I have some back pain along with neck pain. I also feel pressure in the right side of my head, like my head is heavy on that side. I was just wondering if anyone would have any idea what's going on and what options are available for me to get this taken care of without any insurance? I do not like having to take any medications OTC or Prescription because of my hernia, so any natural ways to relieve headaches would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: No insurance what can I do?

The other drivers insurance should pay for any of your medical bills- check into it.

Pup

The Following User Says Thank You to pupcake For This Useful Post:
Momof3OH (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

Momof3OH HB User

Thank you but I royally screwed myself with his insurance company. On my way out from the ER a representative from Progressive insurance was there looking for me. He offered me a check from them for $10,000. It may not seem like a lot to some people but it was a lot to me. I took it but of course signed papers for them. So I can't put in a claim even if I wanted to. So I'm just kind of stuck

Old 03-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I would call around to different doctors and see if they are willing to work with you and not having insurance. I have heard of some places that are willing to offer lower rates in this situation. Insurance companies negotiate the rates down like crazy, and I see that often times, the doctor's office gets a small fraction of what was charged. I would think some places would be willing to negotiate something in the middle, or at least a payment plan for some tests.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

maysmom HB Usermaysmom HB User

If it were me I would try to find a lawyer because it sounds like you may have been under duress or still feeling the effects of the head injury when you accepted payment. Then I would try to find a doctor with a sliding scale or something like that.

Move quickly before statutes of limitations runs out, but certainly consult with a personal injury lawyer. Usually the first consult is free. You might be surprised what they can do.

Closed Thread