It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

judy84 HB Userjudy84 HB User
Headaches and thirst symptoms

For the last 5 days, I have had a headache that seems to randomly come and go and this weird excessive thirst, even though my body doesn't really need hydrating. I thought it was dehydration at first because it started on Saturday afternoon after some particularly warmer weather, and I was out all day in the sun. But I'm peeing all the time (excessively) so not sure if it can be put down to dehydration or not?

I had a urine test today, which apparently ruled out diabetes. I also had a blood glucose test done about 2 months ago which was normal.

Finding it hard not to feel freaked. Anyone any idea what it could be? I saw a GP today (a locum) who didn't seem to have any ideas. May have to go back in a week or so if still no better :/

Will appreciate any advice/ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Headaches and thirst symptoms

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I notice that I tend to get very thirsty as well. I do drink a lot of water, but I find that I need to chew gum often, especially if doing a lot of talking. I recently went on a migraine preventive medication and it makes me even thirstier (common side effect), so I literally HAVE to chew gum during work meetings or my mouth will be too dry. I worry that it will look unprofessional, so I just try to not chew it and let it sit there. Even if you aren't dehydrated, has there been any change in the foods you eat? I find that certain foods do make me more thirsty. I typically feel a little less thirsty if I'm eating a lot of fresh produce. If I'm eating more protein and carbs, I get thirstier, so I really have to make sure I'm getting good, balanced meals.

As for your headache, I wonder if it's actually related to your thirst or just an odd coincidence. Is it more of a dull, tension-like headache, or more of a sharp pain? I have noticed that I am sensitive to being out in the heat, even if well hydrated, and it's one of my migraine triggers, or at least a regular headache. I love being out in the sun, but I need to cool off every now and then by getting into a swimming pool/lake/ocean, or just getting inside for breaks. I also must wear sunglasses or my head will hurt.

Although I don't always hear about thirst being a symptom with it, I'd ask if you can get your thyroid checked whenever you do go back in. I've been hearing how common hypothyroid is and how many people miss it and don't get treatment, so they just deal with symptoms! I've heard of thirst being a possible symptom, although not for everyone. Headaches can definitely happen too. Maybe look into that and see if you have any of the other symptoms. I want to get checked myself actually... I had regular blood work done and everything looked normal (I would get that first!), and now I want to get the full thyroid panel done.

Keep us updated on what you find out!

The Following User Says Thank You to tUrRrRa For This Useful Post:
judy84 (04-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

judy84 HB Userjudy84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I notice that I tend to get very thirsty as well. I do drink a lot of water, but I find that I need to chew gum often, especially if doing a lot of talking. I recently went on a migraine preventive medication and it makes me even thirstier (common side effect), so I literally HAVE to chew gum during work meetings or my mouth will be too dry. I worry that it will look unprofessional, so I just try to not chew it and let it sit there. Even if you aren't dehydrated, has there been any change in the foods you eat? I find that certain foods do make me more thirsty. I typically feel a little less thirsty if I'm eating a lot of fresh produce. If I'm eating more protein and carbs, I get thirstier, so I really have to make sure I'm getting good, balanced meals.

As for your headache, I wonder if it's actually related to your thirst or just an odd coincidence. Is it more of a dull, tension-like headache, or more of a sharp pain? I have noticed that I am sensitive to being out in the heat, even if well hydrated, and it's one of my migraine triggers, or at least a regular headache. I love being out in the sun, but I need to cool off every now and then by getting into a swimming pool/lake/ocean, or just getting inside for breaks. I also must wear sunglasses or my head will hurt.

Although I don't always hear about thirst being a symptom with it, I'd ask if you can get your thyroid checked whenever you do go back in. I've been hearing how common hypothyroid is and how many people miss it and don't get treatment, so they just deal with symptoms! I've heard of thirst being a possible symptom, although not for everyone. Headaches can definitely happen too. Maybe look into that and see if you have any of the other symptoms. I want to get checked myself actually... I had regular blood work done and everything looked normal (I would get that first!), and now I want to get the full thyroid panel done.

Keep us updated on what you find out!
Thanks for your reply

To be honest, it's a very weird kind of headache. Not really one I feel I've ever had before. It's not actually a severe pain, it sort of comes and goes slightly on one side of my head. The headache itself isn't my main distressing symptom, it's a few things at once, it's the headache, the thirst and the dizzy/faint feeling. I don't get headaches very often at all anymore, which I suppose is one reason why this is worrying me. I'm fortunate to not get them very often. I used to when I was a student and didn't deal with stress very well, but not so much now.

It's been 6 days now I've been like this. I have had my thyroid checked very recently (about 2 months ago) and it was normal. Thanks for mentionning that though, I know thyroid problems can be the cause of many random mysterious symptoms :P I'm really hoping this turns out to be nothing. I could put it down to being a cold, but I don't have the sniffles yet so thinking maybe not?

I hope it's nothing and I'm just worrying unnecessarily. Probably will go back to the doctor though if still like this next week.

And oh yeah, there's been no change to my diet.

Last edited by judy84; 04-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am sure it is nothing serious, but the doctor can definitely look for anything else that might just be a little "off" and making you feel this way. Some people do get a little sick and don't necessarily feel terrible but have similar symptoms, so something like a cold can still be a possibility. When I had the flu the last time, I just had a headache and felt like I could burn up, then get the chills, and was just a little bit stuffy. If it weren't for me having a fever of at least 103 and my entire family having the flu, I wouldn't have known it! It could even be some kind of allergy without the sneezing and other common symptoms. Hope you get this mystery solved soon

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 04-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Closed Thread