It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
(male)

Illmanme HB User
Triggers for a Migraine Attack

When I start to dig the garden after 45 mins I get a severe headache (front and sides of the head), I can't talk with anyone or concentrate on any task and need to stop working immediately to go and lie down. This first happened when I was 21, I am now 52, I don't suffer from headaches in general other than the usual hangover type etc. I don't think the constant jarring movement of the spade being thrust into the ground is the sole cause, because as a keen DIY enthusiast I was once fitting a subfloor and needed to drill & plug the floor, this constant up and down movement also triggered the severe headaches.

I have no warning signs "aura" that an headache is about to start, however completely unrelated to the physical issues as above, I often get what has been described to me as aura migraine, which comes to me as a flashing zigzag line in one or both eyes, I never get headaches with these attacks and they usually last about 10 minute.

My question is do I suffer from Migraine or something more sinister, noting my father died of a brain hemorrhage at the age of 64. I have never consulted a doctor regarding the headaches and take my Back pain tablets (co-codamol & diclofenac) to ease the pain.

Many Thanks William

Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: Triggers for a Migraine Attack

First I would suggest seeing a Neurologist if you are concerned. Second everyone's triggers are personal and there are exercise related migraines. Check on the web for a headache diary and try to keep it up to find your personal triggers. This would also be helpful to the neurologist.

There are also painless headaches. Do you get nauseas during these auras? Do you have any autonomic type disorders with the auras?

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Certain movements/activity can definitely trigger a migraine. Do you find that certain movements with your neck/head downwards results in a migraine or headache? The gardening would definitely be an example of looking downwards. I found that this was a major trigger for me and now have what seems to be 2 bulging discs in my cervical spine. I am seeing a doctor to get it under control and doing physical therapy to gradually get them back to normal, but had no idea that looking down and even sleeping on my stomach was contributing to my problems! Staying home and not working isn't an option for me, and work was getting very challenging with head symptoms, so I had them order me an easel to put papers on and raised my computer monitor. I also have to take a break from high impact exercise and can't ride rollercoasters or anything like that for a while.

It doesn't sound like it's something life threatening going on since it's triggered by these activities and not something that just happened out of nowhere without any activity, but definitely see a doctor just to make sure and also to get advice on how to prevent this from happening. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
(male)

Illmanme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingles View Post
First I would suggest seeing a Neurologist if you are concerned. Second everyone's triggers are personal and there are exercise related migraines. Check on the web for a headache diary and try to keep it up to find your personal triggers. This would also be helpful to the neurologist.

There are also painless headaches. Do you get nauseas during these auras? Do you have any autonomic type disorders with the auras?

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Many thanks for you advice I will start a diary along with the other advice offered.

Will

Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
(male)

Illmanme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Certain movements/activity can definitely trigger a migraine. Do you find that certain movements with your neck/head downwards results in a migraine or headache? The gardening would definitely be an example of looking downwards. I found that this was a major trigger for me and now have what seems to be 2 bulging discs in my cervical spine. I am seeing a doctor to get it under control and doing physical therapy to gradually get them back to normal, but had no idea that looking down and even sleeping on my stomach was contributing to my problems! Staying home and not working isn't an option for me, and work was getting very challenging with head symptoms, so I had them order me an easel to put papers on and raised my computer monitor. I also have to take a break from high impact exercise and can't ride rollercoasters or anything like that for a while.

It doesn't sound like it's something life threatening going on since it's triggered by these activities and not something that just happened out of nowhere without any activity, but definitely see a doctor just to make sure and also to get advice on how to prevent this from happening. Good luck!

You sound as if your issues are worse than mine but many thanks for the advice anyway.

Will

Closed Thread