It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
(male)

golferguy1 HB User
Unhappy What to eat when you have a migraine?

I have had a migraine for 2 days, was home today. I didn't have much of an appetite, but I just went to the store and bought some turkey...it was the only thing that sounded good @ 11pm. I also drank lots of water. What do you guys eat when you have a migraine?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: What to eat when you have a migraine?

I usually am not able to eat with a migraine because of my vomiting and not being able to stand/walk. What I typically do is attempt to take medicine (although it might come back up) and once I feel like I can keep liquids down, I have some caffeine. Then I usually start to gradually improve. With a severe migraine, I struggle with being able to get up to take medicine, so I try to keep some on my nightstand. With a moderate migraine where you can still function, you probably mainly want to avoid anything that commonly causes migraines (wine, chocolate, and certain foods with preservatives). Some people recommend not having most lunch meats because of the nitrates, but not all lunch meats have them (and it only bothers SOME people, not all). It's definitely good to stay well hydrated with plenty of water. Overall, you may have to do what feels right for YOUR body. I know I can't have a lot of sweets all at once or my head will not feel so great. I feel pretty good with a higher protein diet, so I try to eat healthy sources of protein. You might want to avoid anything too crunchy when your head is bothering you too. Some people get bothered by artificial sweeteners, so also watch out for that.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

turkey was a great choice. Just be sure not to eat anything with nitrates, like ham,
because that could exacerbate a migraine.
Hope you're feeling all better!!

Sue

Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
turkey was a great choice. Just be sure not to eat anything with nitrates, like ham,
because that could exacerbate a migraine.
Hope you're feeling all better!!

Sue
I saw that some organic lunch meats are nitrate free unfortunately I saw that you really have to eat the lunch meat pretty quickly or it won't last as long (even 3 days seemed to be too long!).

Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
(male)

golferguy1 HB User

Well I ate the whole package almost last night. I'm just trying to sleep I can't take imitrex too late..this one just hit me..I'm just laying in bed. Finally got to sleep around 2. Thanks that helps. Nothing has sounded good. Don't want mcdonalds or bk @11 pm

Last edited by golferguy1; 06-30-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Add more

Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you can sleep, that is definitely good! Just try to stay hydrated as well and if you do not feel like eating, just wait until you are feeling up to it. Same goes for the medicine - you will know what works best for you and when you need to take it. I would always save my prescription pills for my worst migraines because I would only get 12 pills per month, and use over the counter for anything not too severe. Hope you feel completely back to normal soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to tUrRrRa For This Useful Post:
golferguy1 (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
If you can sleep, that is definitely good! Just try to stay hydrated as well and if you do not feel like eating, just wait until you are feeling up to it. Same goes for the medicine - you will know what works best for you and when you need to take it. I would always save my prescription pills for my worst migraines because I would only get 12 pills per month, and use over the counter for anything not too severe. Hope you feel completely back to normal soon!
TuRrRra, you must be taking AMERGE. I used to take those everyday since my medication wasn't working well enough. I USED to get those headaches four to five times a week. Now I found a more holistic method although it may not be an option for others I'm just saying this works for me and rather quickly I may add! The herb I use is banned by the Federal Gvt. but not the State.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
I saw that some organic lunch meats are nitrate free unfortunately I saw that you really have to eat the lunch meat pretty quickly or it won't last as long (even 3 days seemed to be too long!).
All Boar's Head products are free of nitrates and preservatives.
Boar's Head meats are available in the deli section of most grocery stores.
It is a premium brand, slightly more expensive than other brands, but worth it.
My husband loves their sliced chicken breast. it comes in a variety of flavors.

Last edited by Kali333; 06-30-2011 at 03:17 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
golferguy1 (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

There are kosher meats out in some store cold cases. With kosher products you dont have to worry about any preservatives or byproducts.

The Following User Says Thank You to lilredsmom For This Useful Post:
golferguy1 (06-30-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

I was just diagnosed with migraines today. I'm just starting to read about them, what helps, what hurts. This info about the food is a big help. Thank you one and all.

Closed Thread