It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

Mandy92984 HB User
What to take when a full blown migraine occurs?

Can anyone please tell me if there is any good pain pill out there for when a full blown migraine hits? I do have the Imitrex shots (the pill did not work for me) but I do not want to have to shoot myself with a needle everytime I have a migraine. Lately I have been getting them everyday. At this point my body is pretty much immune to advil, tylenol, script ibuprofin, exedrine migraine etc. I am going to the Dr in 2 days and would like to ask about any pain pills that may help. TIA!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: What to take when a full blown migraine occurs?

Relpax is expensive but it is what I use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: What to take when a full blown migraine occurs?

You might want to ask for some different migraine prescription samples, but be sure to ask your doctor about when you can take them, because most can not be taken together on the same day. There are pros and cons about each, but unfortunately it seems like most work best right as the migraine is starting. I take Maxalt MLT (10 mg), but once the migraine is full blown, I vomit a lot and can't take the medicine. I've had a few people recommend the Zomig in nasal spray, which might be good for the vomiting. The injectible Imitrex you mentioned would also be good, but I think a needle would be very difficult to handle when you have a migraine, especially since I hardly feel conscious when one happens and just getting a pill is hard enough! I like the Maxalt MLT because they are dissolvable and you don't have to take water with them. Supposedly they work faster than the pill form, but it still isn't perfect for me. I've heard people who like each migraine pill out there and then people who said they did not work at all for them. I keep using Maxalt MLT because I do notice some relief, even if not 100%. I also have caffeine when I have the migraine and that helps me too.

I heard of a new medication that is being developed that is a needle-free injection. I'm not sure who makes it or when it will be released, or even how that works with it being an injection yet not needle, but it sounds like it might be something good once it comes out... easier to handle than a needle, but still fast acting.

Some people get medicine through an IV at somewhere like a hospital, but I once had that (I was already there to get surgery) and it did NOT work for me at all. It also isn't a good option for everyone because if it's severe enough, you aren't going to want to be in a car or in a bright, noisy hospital environment and that's to only MAYBE feel better from the treatment. I also think this would be difficult with how often you are getting them!

It's a good thing you aren't looking into taking the ibuproften, excedrin migraine, etc... because I used to take those every day and was giving myself rebound migraines where they kept hitting every day for a period of time. At that point, my neurologist gave me preventive medication, which might be a very good option for you! Unfortunately those are trial and error as well since there are lots of options.

I looked online to read reviews on ALL medications and basically asked about those with the most people who were satisfied with them. There are bad reviews on all pills out there, but I figured I'd try what slightly more people liked! Good luck and I really hope you find something that helps soon. Keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to tUrRrRa For This Useful Post:
Cherpatra (11-06-2011)
Closed Thread