It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

stellasue HB User
Unhappy Diagnosed with hemicrania continua and I'm pregnant. Please help.

Finally an answer to why I've had this constant headache for 2 months. I'll give my symptoms because when I searched for what my symptoms might be I never once saw hemicrania continua and I was convinced I had an aneurysm or something. So for all the searchers here are my symptoms:
  • constant headache at about a 5 on the pain scale which fluctuates depending on how long ago I took ibuprofen.
  • pain is only on one side of my head, mainly in the temple, but the pain radiates in a way that at times I thought I maybe had something wrong with my ear, my jaw, some tooth problem that I couldn't pinpoint, sinus issues, or maybe eye strain. Unfortunately it wasn't any of those problems.
  • the eye on my right side (the affected side) becomes watery when the headache is really bad

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way, onto my problem. And this one is a doozy. I'm pregnant. What am I going to do? The doctor tells me I have to stop taking ibuprofen by 28 weeks. I'm currently 24 weeks along. I know it is not the best thing in the world but this pain has been so constant and intense that I've been taking 16 200 milligram advil a day.

The neurologist says that I'm having rebound headaches and that my taking so many advil is just making the headache worse when it comes back. But he didn't really have an answer for me as to what to do about it. I can't take the indomethacin or prednisone because of the pregnancy. Opiates are totally ineffective. He prescribed phernergan for the nausea and to help me sleep but that just isn't going to cut it. When I think of going 12 weeks with no advil or pain relief of any sort I get very anxious.

This morning I tried to abstain from the ibuprofen and I sat here and cried for two hours because the pain was so intense. Tylenol has never really had any effect for me but I guess I will learn to love it. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else had HC or migraines in late pregnancy? What did you do to find relief? Do you think massages or something like that might help? I'm really at a loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread