It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
(male)

Seiya HB User
Pressure at back of head that gets worse looking at lcd screen.

For the past week I've had a constant pressure at ther back of my head, no pain but I can feel as if somethings pushing so to speak.
Occasionally when looking at a LCD screen whether monitor or TV it can turn into a dull ache, that sometimes last for an hour or disappear when I stop looking.
I have no other symptoms to speak of and will be seeing my doctor in a few days but of course I'm always worried that it's something serious and maybe I should call up for an earlier check up since I don't want to wait even a few days if it's something I should be concerned about.

The headaches and pressure is in no way debilitating and it feels better after sleeping and waking up but the pressure is still there.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Pressure at back of head that gets worse looking at lcd screen.

I have a very similar feeling to what you describe, and unfortunately it's been there for about 6-7 months. On a bad day, it may radiate up through the side of my head too. I went to a headache institute, who suggested some kind of neck trauma and I went through physical therapy. Unfortunately I don't think that was the complete answer, because I still have that feeling (although I did have days where it seemed to improve). At a new doctor I'm seeing for a second opinion, they are having me get x-rays tomorrow morning to start, to look for any kind of issues in my jaw or neck. Basically, if there is any kind of joint, ligament, or other issue, the muscles in the back of the head will try to compensate for that weakness and will ache as they support your head more than usual.

I pop my neck very often and learned how it's possible to sprain your own neck or at least weaken the ligaments enough to cause these kinds of symptoms. I have been giving it up and feel a lot of muscle spasms and more tightness, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cracking was just prolonging my healing. Of course you don't have to be a neck popper to get something like this. Slouching while looking at a screen (it caught my attention when you mentioned the screen), sleeping in a bad position, and other things can cause it as well.

I feel quite similar to how you described... it's like a lot of pressure and more of a dull ache, but it can certainly still wear me out and be somewhat disabling since it feels like a deep pain, if it gets bad enough. I feel best when laying down since the weight of my head doesn't have to be supported!

I hope with yours, it goes away on its own. You can keep an eye on it and give it some time, but if it continues, see a doctor about it. I took muscle relaxers and had no relief from them (Flexeril) and now I'm taking an anti-inflammatory used for arthritis (Mobic) but it's only been a couple of days and I don't notice relief from it yet. Have you tried any over the counter medication?

PS - I know it sounds so basic, but try to sit up very straight and keep screens at eye level and see if that helps over time. I bought computer stands to raise all screens at eye level and make sure to keep my back straight and my neck straight... often times my back would be a little bit hunched and my chin slightly forward... this can cause those muscles to get pretty tight.

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 09-02-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
For the past week I've had a constant pressure at ther back of my head, no pain but I can feel as if somethings pushing so to speak.
Occasionally when looking at a LCD screen whether monitor or TV it can turn into a dull ache, that sometimes last for an hour or disappear when I stop looking.
I have no other symptoms to speak of and will be seeing my doctor in a few days but of course I'm always worried that it's something serious and maybe I should call up for an earlier check up since I don't want to wait even a few days if it's something I should be concerned about.

The headaches and pressure is in no way debilitating and it feels better after sleeping and waking up but the pressure is still there.
Have you had an eye exam recently?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressless37 View Post
Have you had an eye exam recently?
It can definitely be related to the eyes too. Sometimes it's the simple things that end up doing it!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
(male)

Seiya HB User

Saw the doctor just a few days ago and they say there doesn't seem anything to worry about and just keep an eye on it so to speak.
At the very least because the symptoms are just a dull ache and nothing else he doesn't believe it to be something as serious as a tumor.
It kind of disappeared around then but has kind of reappeared except it doesn't get worse when looking at a screen and the entire sensation has weakened to just a little niggle at the back.

I'll probably see a doctor about it again if it continues but at the moment it's more of an "annoyance" than a hinderance.

Closed Thread