It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
(female)

cougargal8 HB User
Question Sleep Headache??

I'm hoping someone on here can help me with some ideas on what these headaches might be. For the last 6 or 8 months, several times a month, a horrible headache will wake me out of a sound sleep. The pain is always on the left side of my neck/throat, and just above and behind my left eye. The pain is more of a massive "pressure" feel than a throbbing. I'm not nauseated, or see auras or lights. Once I sit on the side of the bed the pain goes away within 15 minutes and I'm usually able to go back to sleep.

I do not have a history of headaches. I do take meds for high blood pressure and they keep it under control. I drink too much coffee, finishing my last cup right before bed. I know I snore some, but don't grind my teeth. There isn't a certain sleep position that brings it on.

I asked my doctor a couple of weeks ago what these could be, and he said that your blood pressure goes up when you lay down, and that was the easiest thing/place to start. He added another BP med to see if that would help. Since then, I've had several of these episodes and have checked my BP immediately upon waking and it was within normal ranges.

These are very scary to me because of the severity of pain, the isolated location, and that they only happen during sleep. I sure hope someone who reads this can offer some insight as I don't have insurance and trips to the doctor are almost an impossibility. Thank you SO much, and I will answer any questions ya'll might have.

Last edited by cougargal8; 10-01-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
(female)

pammie58 HB User
Re: Sleep Headache??

my headaches occur when I am asleep and I wake up with an awful pain. I would then get myself a hot cup of coffee, sometimes put the hot mug next to my forehead or temple where its hurting which helps a bit, then take a hot shower. The pain slowly ebbs away thankfully cos I have to get to work. By chance I had a medical and they discovered I was anemic and I was put on iron tablets. Miraculously the headaches that woke me at night disappeared. I took the iron tablets for over a month and stopped after getting another blood test which showed my blood level to be normal. A year later and I am waking up with these headaches again. A couple of days ago I went and got another blood test and found I am anemic again and am back on the iron tablets. This time however I am going to a gynacologist to get further checks to see what's causing my anemia and if this is the reason why I'm getting these headaches. I will also monitor and see if my sleep headaches disappear after taking the iron pills. Keep you posted.

Closed Thread