It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

Jessee03 HB User
Is it side effects from propranolol (for migraine) or something else?

Sorry that this is long, I hope itís not too difficult to read.

Iím 21 (in UK) and for the last few months Iíve had a lot of trouble sleeping. It can be as late (or early) as 7 am before Iím able to fall asleep, some days Iíve been lucky to get 4 hours. Once I do finally fall asleep Iím often restless and only lightly asleep. Iím also not sure if Iím dreaming or just half asleep but Iím having Ďdreamsí of figures/shapes/people standing by the bed or the door. (Ŗ sorry that bits hard to explain)

I know insomnia, nightmares and vivid dreams can be a side effect of the propranolol, but Iíve been on it nearly a year now and have only had this problem for the last few months.

My friend however suggested that it could be depression rather than side effects, but I also know depression can be a side effect.

Iíve always had a low mood but itís been worse this last few months. I looked up other side effects of depression and realised I had quite a few.

∑ Bad memory.
∑ Lack of concentration (canít do the same thing for too long in one)
∑ Quickly lose interest in what Iím doing or when someone is talking to me
∑ I have no desire to socialize or go out and enjoy my hobbies
∑ Iíve lost my appetite. I only eat when I am really hungry and because I have to.
∑ My words sometimes are jumbled when I talk. E.g. It started to come out as ďI bought a bin of tiscÖ.Ē Instead of Ďa tin of biscuitsí. (Seems to happen more often when Iím about to start my period)
∑ Ií donít have any motivation or energy for things.
∑ Low self esteem
∑ Iím always indecisive

Some of these symptoms Iíve had or felt like for many years, and looking on the Internet suggests it might be dysthymia.

The propranolol hasnít got rid of my migraines but it has reduced the amount and the severity of them. I think Iíve had 5 in a year but Iíve had 2 migraines within a week and a half of each other this month. Could it be I need a higher dose (Iím on 40mg, twice a day)? Or does everything Iíve said indicate I need to try something else?

Iíve got an appointment to see my GP in a few days but has anyone had a similar experience? Or any ideas as to whatís going on? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User
Re: Is it side effects from propranolol (for migraine) or something else?

Hi jesse....just wondering how your appointment went?
i was considering starting propranolol but have been reading alot of bad side effects...it sure is frustrating.

i hope your feeling better.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
(female)

Eilinel HB User
Re: Is it side effects from propranolol (for migraine) or something else?

Hi,

I took propranolol for migraines a couple of years ago. I had a couple of very noticeable side effects: night sweating and very vivid dreams. The night sweating was annoying enough to make me stop taking the medication. The vivid dreams weren't really a problem. It was fun :-)

But anyways my side effects were also sleep related.

-Elina

Closed Thread