It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Employment and Migraines

Thank you from me as well! All of this has been very helpful. Wow, that is great Sachimi that you have had such a difference in migraine frequency. Hopefully any tweaks you make will help even more. Do you find any bothersome side effects from the Lamictal? I suppose most side effects are better than migraines if so. I think my doctors would be willing to give it a try if my migraines are getting more frequent again (crossing my fingers that this doesn't happen). As far as the Xanax, I have to wonder if during a migraine, I get very tense and flinch from the pain, and if this is why it sometimes helps (with relaxing the body). I'm not sure why muscle relaxers didn't seem to work so well for this, as I would expect a similar result.

I hope all of you find a good medication match that is helpful for migraines! Too bad so much of it ends up being trial and error.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User

At first, I had some pretty bad side effects, but they stopped or I didn't notice them after a month at most. I personally had some trouble sleeping and coordination issues at the start. I would sleep a few hours, then be totally awake, then fall asleep again 6 hours later and be out for 6-8. I'm a pretty clumsy person already, so I found myself just bumping into things more and found it difficult to do anything requiring precision. I got totally used to this, though now I'm having that again since I doubled my dosage ( although some of that is due to my birth control and not the Lamictal itself ).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
(female)

CaringWmn HB UserCaringWmn HB User

I woke up with the start of a migraine this morning. Right away, I took a compounded Midrin (Iso/Chlor/Acet65/100/325). It seemed to take the edge off. I took another one at 1:00 p.m. The headache is lurking again (almost 4:00). I can take another at 7:00.

Darn headaches.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
(female)

maiyen HB Usermaiyen HB User

Was it the start of an actual migraine or an aura? When I took Midrin, I had to take it at the onset of the aura in order for it to abort the migraine. When I took it in this manner it aborted the migraine almost every time, however if I took it when the migraine had already formed, then Midrin really didn't help all that much and I had to go to plan B which is a heavy duty pain killer (prescription). I'm not sure how the experience is for everyone, but this was how it worked for me.

I'm sorry that it's not working well for you. I hope that you feel some relief soon

Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
(female)

No, I never have an aura. I wake up with my migraines. I still have some of the migraine now, after 4:00 p.m. the following day. It isn't the constant headache, but I'm getting "zingers" that are occasionally shooting out at different points of my head.

These are new in the past several months. I have many points to talk about with my neurologist next month.

My coworker told me that the Midrin works great for her. I was feeling really sick in my stomach yesterday and most of the morning today. This is also new for me. I have been hoping the headaches would improve over the years and not get worse or develop new and different symptoms.

Thank you for the suggestions and nice thoughts.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
(female)

I have begun taking one of my 2 100- mg topamax tablets in the morning and the other in the evening. My headaches had begun again starting up in the mornings when I wake up. I take one topamax upon rising.

The compounded Midrin had not been working very well. In fact, if I had taken an Advil, it would have worked better. So, I will tell my neuro at my February appointment.

Also, I refilled my Topamax with the generic last week. I still have Topamax left, so I won't actually begin the generic right away.

I must say that the last migraine headache I had that lasted 4 days was the worst one I ever experienced. I must take all my notes and discuss with my neuro and get his feedback. I don't think I can look forward to another one like that again. We must do all we can to prevent another one like that last one.

Thanks to you who offered your suggestions and advice so I can try something different to try to find something else that will work for me. I am going into my 6th year of migraines. They had been under control until just a few months ago.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
(female)

I am replying with an update. I have been feeling really good lately. The 2 changes I've made were that I refilled my Topamax with the generic Topiramate, and that I had recently begun taking one in the morning and one at bedtime. For years, I was taking them both and bedtime.

I hope I continue feeling so well. I an anxious to see my neurologist on Feb. 17 to discuss the other medications and options that were mentioned on this thread.

Thanks everyone for your responses and input!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
(female)

Thank you, MamaMary. I have been doing so much better lately. You are very fortunate to have gotten approved your first application. I'm sorry to hear that your migraines are so severe that you actually have enough of a disability to have had to collect.

Thank you for your response. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

The following user gives a hug of support to CaringWmn:
MamaMary (02-11-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
(female)

I have a great update for you! My headaches have been relieved since I began taking my Topamax generic Topirimate, one in the morning and one in the evening at bedtime. I have no fullness in my head, or lingering hint of a headache trying to develop.

I am so grateful for the advice that was offered regarding the generic brand, as well as the suggestion about splitting up my 2 pills during the day. There has been no difference between the name brand and the generic as far as effectiveness. Instead of paying $60, I pay $15, so that makes a big difference to me each month.

Thank you, and I just wanted to give this significant update.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
(female)

maiyen HB Usermaiyen HB User

Hi Caring,

Thank you for providing us with an update...and with such great news! I'm happy to hear that you're finally starting to feel some relief now (and at a lower cost). I hope that it continues!

Take care

Last edited by maiyen; 04-01-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #26
(female)

studey2 HB User

I just wanted to add that the generic is just as good as the brand name of topamax..I waited forever for the generic.. I was paying a small fortune every month until the generic came because I had insurance that would not pay for brand names but I had to have my topamax,,It was the only thing that helped my head pain (along with methadone ) I took 400 mgs a day of topamx and 90 mgs of methadone and it would get my head pain in half..which is livable with out I am in a fetal position , in bed, rocking back in forth in agony..One does not work without the other..I found this out with trial in error with many many drugs in 2 years..I have a nice size inoperable brain aneurysm , and with every heart beat it pulsates amd hits my nerve (occipital nerve ) which it has been doing now for 11 years ,,I have constant 24/ 7 , 365 horrible head pain..I did get SSDI, Not for the brain aneurysm but for the pain,,So I really think, you can get ssdi for pain from migrains,,But it has to be prooven from your docters..Good luck in what you, Studey

The following user gives a hug of support to studey2:
CaringWmn (05-03-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

I have taken topamax but had to stop due to kidney stones, I now take keppra in combination with cymbalta and amitriptlyne.

Yes I went on disability due to migraines. I have a mixed disability though in that I also have neuropathy.

It is possible to get disability due to migraines but it is difficult. You need a good history from your doctor in how your migraines are affecting your work, especially how much time is missed from work. Keep a headache diary and document if stress is adding to your migraines. This helps your doctor and you in that documentation is important when applying for disability. If you have a documented history it works better because the SSI doctor examination is usually negative in migraines. The judge can overrule a negative examination if there is a positive history of your migraines affecting your employment. In my case I had gone on FMLA and after my time ran out my employment was in jeopardy due to lost time.

I do not know what else to say other than to keep trying to work as long as you can.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to tingles For This Useful Post:
CaringWmn (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #28
(female)

studey, I'm so sorry to read about your experience with such painful migraines. That's so much medication to have to take for relief.

My insurance company offered for me to get the Topiramate instead of Topamax, and not pay any copay at all. I have been taking the generic instead of the name brand, and have not noticed any difference, except in my bank account. I got a refill this week, and paid nothing.\

Thank you for your reply to my thread. I wish you more relief for your migraines in the future.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #29
(female)

tingles, thank you for the informative post in response to my questions about disability due to work related migraines. I actually have missed probably only two days of work due to a migraine headache, and have not documented it with my doctor. Although I take the Topiramate and have Treximet as a rescue medication, I've taken the Treximet only once. I take only 200 mg. of Topiramate.

I think I'm fortunate that my migraines are basically controlled my the medication, as compared to others who have responded, who take much more medication and have had to go on SSI with more documentation.

Your information has been extremely helpful. Thank you. I'm sorry you had to leave your job, but I wish you good health in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaringWmn For This Useful Post:
tingles (05-03-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #30
(female)

helengail HB User

It is indeed possible to get ssdi for migraines. I would suggest using a lawyer with experience in this area. I took topamax when it first came out and it was so controversial that many neuros would not prescribe it for migraines. I found it effective but I had cognitive problems. There are a number of different types of preventatives including beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, Anti-seizure meds , some antidepressant, etc. And of course. lets not forget botox. I think the best abortives are the triptans or migranal.

Closed Thread