It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

jlrosas HB User
Question Child has Severe Headaches

Hello. I am new here and am looking for some help. My daughter is 6 and has been complaining (off and on) of severe pain in her right eye and bridge of her nose. Migraines run in my family (I get them, always behind my right eye and radiates through my head, my other 2 kids get them and all of my sisters get them), so I've assumed they are migraines. When she gets them, they come on fast and furious. Tonight, for example, we were at a family dinner and she was playing with some kids and came over and said her eye hurt. Within minutes she was screaming in pain, going into the bathroom every 5 or 10 minutes to throw up (which she didn't) and we had to take her home right away. She has a hard time holding anything down (nauseous) and writhes in pain. She starts to fall asleep, but the pain abruptly wakes her up and she starts screaming again. I have assumed they are migraines, but I am getting worried it might be more serious. I wanted to take her to the ER tonight, but my husband thought we should wait because when we mentioned the hospital she got more upset. I am calling her doctor first thing tomorrow morning to have this checked out. I ask her if her head hurts too, but she said only her eye and nose (she points to the bridge of her nose). Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could it be more than migraines? She's only 6 and I am so worried. I appreciate any information. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: Child has Severe Headaches

Once my doctor told me that once I start throwing up it is no longer a headache but a medical emergency. It sounds like she is going through a lot of pain. Nowadays in the ER they have an IV they can use instead of pain killers, and it works.

Still I personally believe she should be checked out like any migrainer and have a full slate of testing by a neurologist. Then you can know for sure.

I am familiar with the pain in the right eye. Does she suffer any blindness? I never thought of this symptom until my doctor told me it was a symptom.

Good luck to you and your little one.

Closed Thread