It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

rayon HB User
Insomnia and migraines

Hi.
I'm reposting this and hopefully it will make more sense than my last attempt - i can only blame that on my post migraine hungover fug.

I had the most severe migraine I have experienced in a very long time yesterday evening through to the small hours of this morning. In fact I still have a dull ache that resurfaces every so often behind one of my eyes.

It all started last night at Church when I suddenly realised that half the minister's face had disappeared, i couldn't read out of my Bible because the first couple of letters were missing from each word and similarly so when i went to read of the screen. This was followed up with quite a severe and longlasting 'light show'. (The usual zigzagy, whirring formation that eventually blots out my vision in one eye.) I also had a weird drilling pain in the back of my head before the aura started as well as sensitivity to the lights in the Church.

Anyway, I thought nothing more of it once it was over and was able to drive home. Normally this is all I get although the doctor has given me some Triptan to use in the event of a headache. It wasn't until a couple of hours later that I started to get an ache behind one of my eyes that I chose to ignore at first, putting it down to tiredness.

The pain became more severe when I went to bed. At first I didn't want to take the triptan because they make me really drowsy and I didn't want to have to take a day off work. In the end I decided that one way or another I would not be able to go into work - I'd either lose a night's sleep due to the migraine or I'd be groggy from the drugs.

Anyway, the point of this rather long posting is to ask whether insomnia is a feature of migraine or was it the severe pain that was keeping me awake? I was also really nervey and jumpy. Is this in any way related to the migraine? Also, how do I know whether or not to take the Triptan? It was really good when I did take it. The severity of the pain was greatly reduced and I managed to sleep once I had taken it. I now think if I had taken it earlier I could have gone into work and i would have spared myself a few hours of excrutiating pain - like a pick axe to the back of an eye and a severe pain in my temple. I was even considering phoning the eye clinic if the pain did not go away. (I have Graves eye disease.)

Sorry to be such a moan. I'm just wondering if anyone with more experience of migraine would be able to answer my questions.

Many thanks!

Last edited by rayon; 03-19-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: Insomnia and migraines

I would believe that migraines do not give you insomnia but it is the pain keeping you awake. My migraines make me groggy and misty but I cannot sleep until the pain subsides. My doctor tells me it is not the abortive that makes me groggy the next day but the migraine itself.

I would believe the nervey and jumpy feelings are an emotional reaction to the migraines. They can cause mood swings.

As for your eyesight issues my migraines can make me blind temporarily.

A short answer to a longer post but I hope it helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to tingles For This Useful Post:
rayon (04-18-2012)
Closed Thread