It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
(female)

RhysMom HB User
Migraine sufferer starting Topomax

Hi, I am new here, I wanted to get on a site like this where I can compare notes and track with other how I am doing with this drug. I have been experiencing Migraines since 2005, a first only one now and then (I wasnt even sure what they were at first! I thought I was just really sick) and now get them about 1-2 times a week if I'm not medicated. They generally last a whole day, and include halos, loss of my central field of vision, headache, nausea, etc.

I had been on Inderal for them and it helped pretty well, but we had to lower my dose as my already low-ish BP was too affected by the med and then I started to just get smaller migraines, plus I got horrible fatigue on Inderal, even at a minimal dose.

My GP has decided to try me on Topomax for my preventative. A common side effect is drowsiness etc but we are hoping that it might not be too bad. I know a lot of people seem to be reporting mental problems and it seems to be a love it or hate it drug. she currently has me titrating up from 25mg at night to eventually get to 50mg twice a day. I noticed after the second dose my sodas didnt taste right and after looking that up found its a common side effect. Hoping it will give me the strength to perhaps quit drinking them though! We are also hoping that it might help me drop a few pounds, I'd really like to shed about 20 pounds this year. Noticeable appetite decrease already.

So far mental/physical problems not bad, but I'm already coming out of quite a fog from the Inderal, I actually feel more energized.

Would love to hear others thoughts on the drug or your experiences as you built your dose up.

Sorry for the novel!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
(female)

Speedbunny70 HB User
Re: Migraine sufferer starting Topomax

Hi!!
I've suffered from migraines since I was about 14 and have tried dozens of meds,
I'm on topamax now and have been for about 2 1/2 yrs. I'm at 120mg and I also
noticed the change in the taste of soft drinks, mostly Pepsi. You get used to it I found.
I take my whole dose at night before I go to bed. I'm not familiar with the mental side effects of this drug but I am also on cirpralex for depression.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

Speedbunny70 HB User

Hi!!
I've suffered from migraines since I was about 14 and have tried dozens of meds,
I'm on topamax now and have been for about 2 1/2 yrs. I'm at 120mg and I also
noticed the change in the taste of soft drinks, mostly Pepsi. You get used to it I found.
I take my whole dose at night before I go to bed. I'm not familiar with the mental side effects of this drug but I am also on cirpralex for depression.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
(female)

Speedbunny70 HB User

Sorry I'm taking 150mg

Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
(female)

RhysMom HB User

Speedbunny70- Thank you for the reply, good to see more people with good experiences. As of now, I'm much happier with Topomax than Inderal, I feel like I can actually move my muscles! lol.

Have you had to raise your dose over the years or have you been able to stay at about the same dose?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
(female)

Speedbunny70 HB User

No it's been raised, some people go all the way up to 1200mg.
You can also try Relpax when you get a bad attack. I take either Relpax, Stematyl or
DHE Injections

Old 05-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
(male)

greg1x HB User

I am pretty sure you mean 200mg. The max dose for is 800mg , I have never heard of anyone at that dose for migraines though. Usually for migraines 200mg is the max. I also am on 150 mg daily . Greg

Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
(female)

Speedbunny70 HB User

No, I read on hear that someone knew of someone taking that dose.
I just had an appointment with my Neuro of Thursday and spoke to her about it,
she said it wouldn't be common practice but not unheard of.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

I took topamax for about three years for migraine preventative. I was having about 4 to 15 migraines a month prior to topamax and it cut them by half approximately. I use relpax when I have a breakthrough headache and it helps if I go to bed after taking it. I had to move to keppra from topamax due to kidney stones, sometimes a side effect of topamax.

I hope that it will give you the same relief it did for me.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
(female)

Mecagirlsee HB User

I used to be on Topomax. It made me feel drowsy and my taste buds changed a lot. It seemed to work just fine I felt better. But a week after starting it I fould out I was allergic to it. But, I know it works so wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
(male)

cmt61 HB User

Hi,

Been on it since 2004, 100 mg nightly. The pro side no headaches, still get the aura, but I can live with it.

The down side is the nickname dopamax, it has made me "slower' as far as memory and writing, things like that. Some tingling in my fingers. Blurry vision. Restlessness. I guess it is a trade off.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
(female)

RhysMom HB User

Thought I'd update my thread. I am now off of Topomax. It worked well initially but after a bit the tingling in my hands and feet became constant and extremely hard to deal with, and I started to notice the slowness too. I also started getting "normal" headaches instead of migraines. I was living on Tylenol.

I started taking different vitamins and approaching holistically at a suggestion of a friend and have been (with great success) controlling it that way for 3 months now.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

I took Topamax 200 Mg for about 3 years and it greatly helped relieve my migraines. I was instructed not to drink soda while taking it. Sometimes I felt sluggish and not as hungry. I stopped because the migraines stopped. Actually I weaned my self off of Topamax at the rate of one half pill per month ( was told that I could have a seizure if I didn't).

Reply Reply