It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

Linda J HB User
New with migraine aura questions

Hello, am new here. Have had migraines with and without aura for 40 years. Recently had a root canal where jaw was propped open for 2 hours. A few days later experienced a migraine aura...the scotoma blind spot, lasted about 20 minutes. This occurred after heavy ipad usage and i beleive was triggered by glaring screen light. Long story short. This happened 3 more times in the last 17 days. Always triggered by light...once bright sunlight and the other times, again computer. Twice the auras were followed by the classic headache. The frequency of this freaked me out, so i saw my optamologist who dilated my eyes. Said all looked good and called these ocular migraines. He did not seem very concerned. Told me to cut out caffeine, wear sunglasses, avoid prolonged computer glare. Has anyone else had computer glare and or dental work,be a trigger for migraine or migraine aura?
I am 56 years old, in good health. No high blood pressure. Am hypothyroid, and on synthroid.

Last edited by Linda J; 06-17-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: New with migraine aura questions

Yes I have had a problem with bright lights and computer screens bringing on headaches. As for the frequency of the headaches, migraines can change, increase or decrease over time. I was relatively free of headaches for a good spell before they came back with a vengeance. I would suggest you start a headache diary and keep track of them. Then you can decide if you see any triggers or if you wish to pursue seeking out a neurologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
(female)

MNgirl77 HB User

As a person who has never suffered from migraines, I now know exactly what that is. Although, I dont think this is a full blown migraine but I definitely had an aura exactly how you described and then within about 30 minutes I started to get a headache. I finally just took Aleve. I think it was triggered by doing my homework in bad lighting. I was really straining my eyes while reading my book and it was in very dim lighting(led christmas lights), i got up to turn on a better light after about 20 minutes of reading like that and then had the blind spot that led to a complete aura.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

deljo HB User

I have always had migraines with aura but after have dental work, two teeth ground down and crowns put on I have had 8 migraines with aura in 3 weeks. Never this frenquency before. Maybe 1 in 4 or 5 months. I thought it was due to dental work and then read youe post and now I'm sure. But what do we do about this? The dentist will never believe this.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
(female)

teenyone HB User

Had a dental cleaning yesterday and aural migraine today.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
(female)

glitz HB User

Hi Everyone: I have also had my symptoms start following a long period of extensive dental work. Linda J., I was struck by similarities in your post. I'm also hypothyroid, which recently has been adjusted and helped somewhat; and feel that a sensitivity to changes in light triggers my symptoms. I have recently been diagnosed with migraine by a neurologist, but feel it is a diagnosis of exclusion. I'm looking for controllable triggers, hence my earlier question about tinted glasses as a possible approach. This is all new to me, and I have come here to see what is helping others. For what it's worth, besides the list of doctors and tests most of us have experienced, I have tried chiropractic, acupuncture, vestibular rehab. and something called Bowen Therapy, and believe the rehab. helped the most. Hoping everyone is feeling better and finding helpful answers.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
(female)

teenyone HB User

I'm also hypothyroid with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroiditis.

Reply Reply