It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

grad1000 HB Usergrad1000 HB User
For those with constant chronic headaches/pressure please read

I’m posting this in the hope that I can help at least one other person. I’d suffered for years from a constant headache which was never properly diagnosed or treated. A pressure in the head that was distracting, leading me to be lethargic, have poor concentration levels and generally living life in a haze.

Since then I have done several things, I cannot be sure which has helped the most, maybe a combination but here’s the order I started them in:

1. Acupuncture. I was so lucky to find the acupuncturist that I did. Besides the actual treatment with the needles came her years of knowledge of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) which looks at healing the body as a whole, compared to the western way of covering up the symptoms with medication (as in my previous post I knew that all any medication was doing was masking the symptoms, you may feel better but the underlying cause is still there, going untreated). The initial consultation lasted several hours as she asked all kinds of questions, some related to childhood illnesses and growing up in general. It was such a refreshing change to have someone take so much interest in my condition and be genuinely wanting to help. One of the first things she got me to do was to stop taking any medication, at that time I was on dosulepin. I had 12 acupuncture sessions in total, usually once a week.

2. Exercise. Not your usual kind, but one recommended by my acupuncturist, qigong. Qigong is similar to tai-chi and works on getting your Qi (energy) moving. Mine, according to my acupuncturist was stagnant, not moving at all. I found qigong very relaxing and after a while you can actually feel your Qi building and moving around your body. Those blockages in my head, the ones stopping the Qi energy reaching my brain, started to diminish.

3. Diet. A lot of the TCM revolves around your diet and eating correctly for your specific type and deficiency. Around 3 months ago I decide to go gluten free, I can’t remember who or where this was suggested to me, possibly in one of the TCM books I’d been reading. Since then I have read some more on gluten and I’m not surprised at how many people this is affecting. Basically the wheat we eat today is quite far removed from the wheat our ancestors ate and the human body is just not able to digest it properly, leading to all types of symptoms. I see there are so many posts on this board lately related to chronic headaches and I wonder how much it’s connected to the rise we’re seeing in gluten intolerance and gluten sensitivity.

That’s basically what I’ve done for the past 3 or 4 months along with a few supplements recommended to me by my acupuncturist. I no longer see my acupuncturist as we both believe I am at a level that I can maintain myself. I can only say the change has been remarkable. From suffering everyday for so many years to now feeling so alert, alive and positive. My symptoms have not completely disappeared but are at such a low levels, and still reducing, that they no longer distract me from living life.

I am not suggesting this will help everyone and I know some people have very serious migraines and other illnesses that cause a lot of pain. But if you have a constant pressure in your head, that seems to have no triggers, something that the doctors can’t help you with or can only cover up for you then I really hope some of this information will be of use to you.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grad1000 For This Useful Post:
fblvr (10-12-2012), FloridaGirl3102 (09-21-2012), Meri38 (09-30-2012), tUrRrRa (09-30-2012), xSky (09-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
(male)

not4sakn HB User
Re: For those with constant chronic headaches/pressure please read

Interesting. Thanks for the post.

How long after beginning these different treatments did you begin to feel relief from the headaches/pressure?

Last edited by not4sakn; 09-18-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thank you for sharing! I've actually been interested in acupuncture to see if it might help me with my neck and/or head pains. Even if it doesn't work for everyone, it's worth a try! You are very right about diet playing a bit part. I've played around with my diet a bit and didn't feel any different for a while of not eating gluten, but I still try to eat a very clean diet anyway. It definitely helps with energy too. I usually have a tough time with ending up in situations where the ONLY food option isn't a good one and it's that or nothing at all, so I carry Larabars with me in my purse.

I know many of my migraine triggers and seem to do pretty well with preventing most of them, but my neck pains have a LOT of unknowns. Acupuncture may be worth a try since my PT and chiropractic care didn't seem to do it. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by not4sakn View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the post.

How long after beginning these different treatments did you begin to feel relief from the headaches/pressure?
Hi, it was a very gradual process, at first I wasn't sure if I was seeing an improvement or imagining it, but over time the headache lessened and my energy returned. I'd say 3 months before I could definitely say there had been a marked improvement - which isn't bad for a headache that lasted many years..

Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Thank you for sharing! I've actually been interested in acupuncture to see if it might help me with my neck and/or head pains. Even if it doesn't work for everyone, it's worth a try! You are very right about diet playing a bit part. I've played around with my diet a bit and didn't feel any different for a while of not eating gluten, but I still try to eat a very clean diet anyway. It definitely helps with energy too.
I think both need time to work and as you say, you have nothing to lose trying either. Since I posted the above I've read 'Wheat Belly - by William Davis' and as suspected there is a link between modern illnesses and the changes in wheat over the last 50 years, scarily wheat hasn't been tested after going through so many changes. It's a real eye opener of a book.

Reply Reply