It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

Billiegirl HB User
Sumatriptan (Imitrex)

My 14 year old son was recently diagnosed with migraine with aura and his doctor prescribed him Sumatriptan (Imitrex) 50 mg tablets. I have never been one to want to take medicines other than Tylenol or Ibuprofen. I have the same migraines with aura, but have never been diagnosed because I don't have health insurance on myself and have never been to a doctor about them. When I get migraines, I just go to bed with a cold pack on my head and take an Ibuprofen and hope it doesn't get too bad. But, my son gets them at school so he needs something more than just Ibuprofen lol.
Medicines have sooo many side effects so I've always tried to stay clear of prescription meds. However, my son gets frequent migraines and I think this could be really good for him. I just can't get over some of the reactions he could possible have from taking them. (He hasn't taken one yet.) I was wondering if you all could tell me how your body reacted while taking Imitrex or it's generic form Sumatriptan. Did anyone have any really bad reactions from it?

Some of the rare side effects are heart attack, seizures, stroke and abnormal heart beats. These are really serious so I was curious as to whether or not anyone had suffered any of these as well? Wondering how rare these are.

The following user gives a hug of support to Billiegirl:
Rdbomb94 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

Rdbomb94 HB UserRdbomb94 HB User
Re: Sumatriptan (Imitrex)

Hi-I take Imitrex as well. For me it normally works as long as I catch it in time. I've also had to start using the injections too. It has made me a little anxious,however that's me. I've never had any other serious reaction. Hopefully he won't either. Migranes can be so tricky that either the meds don't work or you have reactions. Sometimes it just takes time to sort out but it my opinion Imitrix is one of the best meds out there. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Christina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
(female)

Billiegirl HB User

Thanks Christina!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
(female)

patchmeup HB User

Hi, I used Imitrex for years for migraine. Eventually it started causing my blood pressure to get really high and I had to stop using it. I have (finally) aged out of migraine, which I once thought would never happen. Best of luck.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

I took Imitrex (pill and injection) and generic for about 5 years without a problem. I stopped because I haven't had a migraine for 15 months! My son also uses Imitrex with no problems. The trick with Imitrex is to take it a the first sign of a migraine, to stop it.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
(female)

AppleJelly HB User

I take 50mg sumatriptan tabs. I agree with the others that it is best that you take them as soon as you can. Sometimes I put it off for a while because I am not sure if the headache that I am experiencing is for sure a migraine. Even so, when I take it later during the attack the medicine still works. When I first started to take this medicine it would make me feel sort of tired and I would just want to lay down and just do nothing. When I took it at work and I was laying on the sofa my co-worker noted that my face was flushed (my vitals were okay, coworker was a nurse!). Good luck with the new migraine med.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
(female)

Billiegirl HB User

Thanks for all the replies. My son is yet to take sumatriptan. He has had one migraine since my last posting and that was while he was home alone and we had told him that we wanted to monitor his first reaction from the medicine before he took them with no one around, so he only took an Excedrin for Migraine that seemed to help a little bit.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
(female)

mom32 HB User

I have been taking Imitrex for about a year up until about a week or so ago my migraines have just gotten worse...it is a wonderful product to start out with and it really does work as everyone else says but you have to take it when you first start feeling it come on...good luck...

Reply Reply