It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
(female)

finkykun HB User
migraine = Topamax!?? Anyone on It/Been On It!????

Hi..
I have been put onto topamax for tensions headaches / migrains that I've had for the last 5 years or so... I have them 4/6 days a week and at lease 2 of those days I can barely function :s
Alittle worried because people's side effects are similar (the common ones that is) I.e - forgetfullness and appetite supressant...
I don't mind the appetite supressant (I could lose some weight,bit on the heavy side) but I work out 3 x a week and I go to university for 20 hours a week plus being a mum so I'm worries if I don't eat I'll just burn out???
Forgetfullness is ok as I can barely function when I have a migrain so a few lost words are ok..
I've tried other tablets but no help,just after some advice or info if anyones been on it before?? Tar xx

Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User
Re: migraine = Topamax!?? Anyone on It/Been On It!????

I took Topamax 200 Mg daily for about 3-4 years to help control migraines. Yes it is a appetite suppresent, but I still had to watch my weight. The reason I stopped? No more migraines!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
(female)

finkykun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmisty View Post
I took Topamax 200 Mg daily for about 3-4 years to help control migraines. Yes it is a appetite suppresent, but I still had to watch my weight. The reason I stopped? No more migraines!!
So you stopped taking it? My migraines are awful.... Only been on it a week.. Did u lose weight?
X

Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

I stopped Topamex because I had gone several months without a migraine. I tapered off at 1/2 pill per month. I lost about 15 lbs. while on Topamex. Which was good for me!!! When I needed Topamex, it really helped. My son is taking it now. I recommend that you try it. It made a huge difference in my life.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

finkykun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmisty View Post
I stopped Topamex because I had gone several months without a migraine. I tapered off at 1/2 pill per month. I lost about 15 lbs. while on Topamex. Which was good for me!!! When I needed Topamex, it really helped. My son is taking it now. I recommend that you try it. It made a huge difference in my life.
Thanks for that I'm hoping it makes a difference too tbh... My headaches have made a big problem in my life it sounds silly but they really get in the way... I've been taking it a week and just made the step from one at night to one at night and one in the morning... So we'll see.. I wouldn't mind abit of weight loss - (I'm a size 14 at the moment) did u lose weight because it supressed ur appetite and u didn't eat enough and lost weight,cuz that's what most people keep saying? Or was it just a weight loss thing with the tablets.. tar xxx

Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

It is never silly when someone with migraines say they get in the way of normal life. Those who have never experienced a true migraine cannot really understand that it is not just a headache.

As far as topamax, I took this for five years. It did help. I had to switch to keppra after having kidney stones though. It can be a side effect of topamax after you have been on it for a while.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
(female)

sierraskigirl HB User

delete post

Last edited by sierraskigirl; 11-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
(female)

AnnaMontana HB User

I was on Topamax for 3 months. Unfortunately, the side effects were too much for me and I had to stop. However, I've heard that Topamax works well for some people. My side effects were: headaches, neck pain, difficulty thinking, speaking, and spelling, increased thirst, numbness in my feet, ringing in my ears, and loss of appetite. Its important to note that you need to be on Topamax (or any prophylactic med) for 4-6 weeks before it will start working for migraine prevention. Also, the side effects of Topamax go away for some people but not all.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
(female)

AppleJelly HB User

I take this medication, only after trying countless other ones. I have been on it for a couple years (give or take).

Weight loss could be contributed to many factors when taking this medication. For me it totally changed the way everything tasted. I stopped eating certain foods, which turned out to be high sugar, highly processed foods. This resulted in me losing about 15 kg. I also seemed to not want to eat as much, which could be a contributing factor.

For forgetfulness. Yes you will forget some stuff. it's totally normal. Get a book and write stuff down. It will help a lot. I forgot peoples names, names of vegetables and even what I was cooking (names of).

I find that when I get a bad migraine I can't remember much past the day before the migraine happened. I can remember emotion, but I can't remember facts about what happened during the day previous to when my migraine occurred. I had memory problems not long before I even started Topamax, with large blocks of memory disappearing. My Topamax memory deficiencies are different in that they are instant and in mid-sentence. I know what I want to say, but a wrong word will come out or I will draw a blank. My other memory problems were that time would just disappear and it was like I had not even lived the moment. The memory was just not there.

Reply Reply