It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
(male)

mike580 HB User
Severe headache, ear infection or something else?? Help!!!

Hello,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. My name is Jay, I'm 38. I'm hoping someone here has experienced something similair (I'm sorry if so) and may be able to help. I wasnt sure exactly which section to post this because of the confusing symptoms so I began here. Bear with me and I'll try to be as brief but as detailed as possible.

It is Monday, November 5th. 11 days ago, over the course of 24-36 hours I began to develop what I would describe as a severe headache. Out of the blue. It was/is localized, in the left lower backside of my head beneath my left ear area. My head/skull is not painfull to touch, but the muscle/tissue below the skull in that area is. I hardly ever get headaches, and I would describe this as the worst I've ever had. I waited about 4 days with no change before going to see my doctor. Described the same to him. He examined me, after touching the area and me indicating it was sore he mentioned "well this isnt your head" and said that my left ear canal looked red and inflamed as well as the back of my throat slightly. He thought that I had a ear infction and put me on a course of antibiotics, 825 mg 2x/day for 10 days. I had asked at the time what if after the 10 days i had no relief and his response was then he would send me to a neurologist.

It is now day 6 of my antibiotic treatment. I have had no relief at all. Still same level of consistant pain. The only thing that seems to help just a little is Excedrin Migraine, which I try to only take when in absolute need. Tylenol does nothing. In addition I should mention I do have allergies, which I have been dealing with for the past 2 months or so, and am taking Allegra daily, as well as albuterol for my asthma.

Many ppl who take the time (thank you) are going to read this and think "you havent even finished your full course of antibiotics yet, get through that first before being concerned". But I've done A LOT of reading, and have read a vast majority of ppl getting relief in 1-2 days. I understand its different for different ppl. But the thing is, right from the begining I have not thought this was an ear infection. I have not had nor did this begin with any pain in my ear, again rather my lower head as I would describe it, below the ear. I'm still receiving no relief, and have tried to treat my body and immune system as well as possible through all of this.

I guess my ultimate question is has anyone out there had these same or similair symptoms? If so, what was your duration, diagnosis, healing time, medication (prescibed or over the counter), any other pertanant details? Massive headache, ear ache, anything similair AT ALL? This has me extremely concerned from the day it began and even immediatelly after seeing my doctor, I walked out of his office thinking "this isnt an ear infection, I know it, but I'll go through with the antibiotics and see". Sure enough almost a week later no help. I also know if this is viral that antibiotics wouldnt help, again wondering if anyone out there who has EXPERIENCED similair situation (not just people who have general opinions about doctors, listening to advice, etc.) has any information or guidance that may help??

I should also mention I dont have insurance, am paying out of pocket, so thats an additional concern.

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this, and am praying someone will be willing to chime in with something. Thank you again.

Jay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

KSHUF HB User
Re: Severe headache, ear infection or something else?? Help!!!

Hi there. I had a similar problem, major earache on the right side. My dr. Said not established infection though. It lasted several weeks and then cleared up on its own. Now I have what appears to be a migraine type headache on the left side!!

Reply Reply

Tags
allergies, brain and nervous system, ear ache, ear infection, heachache