It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

headachejane HB User
Question Elavil/Amitriptyline Question

Hello all,

I've had migraines and tension headaches for as long as I can remember (my mom said I complained about them at age 5). I've tried many different medications over the years.

Topamax worked great for me for about 3 years. I got over all the side effects (even feeling stupid). I really thought it was a wonder drug! Then I started having horrible itching whenever I got hot. It was so awful. I tried to put up with it for several months, but I did have to go off the Topamax. By the way, I now have a 4mm sized kidney stone in my kidney due (probably) to Topamax. I'm praying it stays in my kidney!!

Then I was on Zonegran, which helped just a little. It didn't work as well as Topamax, but it did work some. I had no side effects with this drug, but I was very concered with my kidney stone getting bigger (as was my doctor), because Zonegran can cause kidney stones too. So, I went off it. This past summer and fall, I have been having horrible migraines that last days, and tons of tension headaches. I basically woke up with a headache every day. I was taking my emergency drug (Relpax) almost every day! And it had stopped working. I knew I had to do something.

So, I am trying Amitriptyline (25 mg at night). I just can't believe how it stops my headaches. I've been on it for about 2 weeks now and I've only had one small headache that Advil took away! It's really working well for me. Yes, I'm a little tired in the morning, but not too bad. And it certainly beats having a headache/migraine!

My question is...for those of you who have tried Amitriptyline (Elavil), did you gain weight? I can't really tell if it's increasing my appetite or not. It really doesn't feel like it. I have PMS right now, so I'm a little hungrier than usual. I really don't want to gain weight, and I'm hoping that some of you took this drug and didn't gain any.

Thanks in advance,
Jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply