It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

Lacowgurl9 HB User
Unhappy Prisoner of Migraines

I have had Migraines since I was 10 years old. They have gotten worse over the years. I have had 2 days In a row of home injections. I can't go any where or do anything. I don't know what to do any more. I told My Husband this morning that its a good thing we don't own a gun!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
(female)

Amery1 HB User
Re: Prisoner of Migraines

First and foremost, don't ever feel like what you expressed in your last sentence. I, too, have chronic migraines and have suffered from them for 30+ years. I have tried everything from hypnosis to botox (years before it was even available as a treatment in the U.S.) to all the medications out there and everything in between. I was hospitalized last year for five days with what they called a "status migrainosus", a really debilitating migraine that would not go away even with all the hospital treatment, which finally subsided two days after I left the hospital (7 days total). That one was the worst ever. I have been on all different home medications, from narcotics to Imitrex and by far the one that works best for me is Zomig. Within an hour to an hour and a half the migraine is gone for the day and I can go on with my day. You stated you had an injection, what are you taking and I assume from your post you are not getting any relief? And are you on any type of prophylactic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

Lacowgurl9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amery1 View Post
First and foremost, don't ever feel like what you expressed in your last sentence. I, too, have chronic migraines and have suffered from them for 30+ years. I have tried everything from hypnosis to botox (years before it was even available as a treatment in the U.S.) to all the medications out there and everything in between. I was hospitalized last year for five days with what they called a "status migrainosus", a really debilitating migraine that would not go away even with all the hospital treatment, which finally subsided two days after I left the hospital (7 days total). That one was the worst ever. I have been on all different home medications, from narcotics to Imitrex and by far the one that works best for me is Zomig. Within an hour to an hour and a half the migraine is gone for the day and I can go on with my day. You stated you had an injection, what are you taking and I assume from your post you are not getting any relief? And are you on any type of prophylactic?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

Lacowgurl9 HB User

I take Imitrex self injections. I took one Friday night and Saturday morning. I usually wake up with one, on occasion I get one in the day. I have tried everything but Botox, but My Doc. Said that I am not a candidate for that. This is not the life I signed up for. Very sad and depressed!!!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
(male)

CrusaderDriver HB User

In the absence of any comorbid conditions, most migraineurs and cluster headache sufferers respond to vitamin D3 therapy. See your PCP for a lab test for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, a.k.a. 25(OH)D and about starting vitamin D3 therapy if tests indicate a deficiency or insufficiency.

The normal reference range for this lab test is 30 to 100 ng/mL, (75 to 250 nmol/L). Migraineurs and clusterheads are typically vitamin D3 deficient.

Treating this deficiency with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3, 2000 mg/day Omega 3 Fish Oil, and the vitamin D3 cofactors: (500 to 1000 mg/day magnesium, 10 mg/day zinc, 1 mg/day boron and vitamin A and vitamin K2 (MK-7) at RDA) is safe and well tolerated.

I know 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 sounds like a lot... it isn't. Vitamin D3 is the only "free" vitamin. Our skin can generate up to 15,000 IU vitamin D3 in as little as 15 to 20 minutes exposure to mid-day summer sun, clad in a bathing suit without any sun block... and there's the problem... Most of us don't do that... The skin cancer mafia has us all spooked... and as a result... most of us are vitamin D3 deficient... Supplementing with vitamin D3 is the only logical solution.

Can you take too much vitamin D3? Yes. That said too much of anything including water can be a health hazard. Remitting Recurring MS sufferers take 50,000 to 100,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for two to three weeks then drop back to a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day without any problems with vitamin D3 intoxication. Several studies have shown dosing on vitamin D3 up to 40,000 IU/day is safe with no fear of vitamin D3 intoxication.

The best rule of thumb is to see your PCP for the 25(OH)D lab test after a month at 10,000 IU/day. The average 25(OH)D time course response to a dose of 10,000 IU/day results in an stable 25(OH)D equilibrium of 85 ng/mL around the 5th to 6th month.

Response times to this vitamin D3 regimen vary, but most migraineurs will experience symptomatic relief in less than 48 hours depending on the starting serum concentration of 25(OH)D.

The important thing to remember is vitamin D3 therapy is not a cure for migraines or cluster headaches... You'll need to stay on this regimen... At 20 to 30 cents a day USD, that's an inexpensive and very healthy alternative to all the imitrex (sumatriptan succinate) and verapamil most neurologists prescribe.

Take care,

The CrusaderDriver

Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

praybelieving HB User

Unfortunately, I know how you feel....I have had migraines since college 1994, but recently (last 3 months) get either a migraine or tension headache every day and imitrex isn't working for me anymore. In Feb, I had a 16 day migraine and had an accidental overdose b/c my mind was not there...I was so far past a 10/10 pain scale, I was spaced out and did something stupid where I wasn't thinking. I thank God He woke my husband that 10 minutes earlier on that Saturday morning and heard me gasping for my last breaths about once a minute...he called 911 and the firemen revived me with an O2 sat of 50%...they told him 10 minutes or less I would have been gone. What a wake up call and now its on my permanent record...so shameful...I truly did not mean to...I just wanted to sleep for two days thinking it may break the migraine, but once again, I got a bandaid injection at the ER and got two hours of 5/10 relief and it came right back. When you are in that much pain, no one can understand the magnitude of the situation. I don't wish ill on anyone and since migraines are not deadly, I wish all ER personal could have one so they would be more compassionate. I have always heard that #1 they think we are drug seekers (although I always ask for non narcotic Toradol), and #2 they put us at the bottom of the list in line...sort of blowing us off (Now if someone is there in chest pain, of coarse we should be put behind that patient)....but I heard that they hate frequent migraine flyers....so I try so hard not to go...but now I have that on my file forever.

No matter how bad it gets, remember all the people who love you, know there is a light at the end of that dark tunnel and if you have kids, they NEED you and your hubby needs you too!!

My doctor put me on magnesium 1000mg daily, Vit B2 400mg daily and my hubby researched and found another suppliment that alot of neuros recommend called "feverfew"...we got it at GNC. I just started it...it had rave reviews! Worth a try....none are prescriptions. Research it. Take care and know you are not alone.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
(female)

Nutritarian HB User

I am so sorry that you are having terrible migraines!! I feel your pain and mine are related to fluctuating estrogen levels in peri. I know that you have gotten them all your life, so maybe in addition to the other poster and Vitamin D having a hormone work-up to see if your estrogen or other sex hormones are fluctuating. I would of never thought of it until my neuro suggested it and keeping my estrogen levels stable are a prevention for the migraines. If I did not take estrogen, I would have them 24/7 every day of the week, which is unthinkable.
Good luck and feel better

Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
(female)

danab58 HB User

I too am very frustrated! How often is it safe to take imitrex? I've tried to research it but haven't found much, and I'm taking it 2-5 times a week. I need to ask for injectable for the days the pills aren't working or it gets bad too fast and i can't stop throwing up.
I have migraines and cluster head aches. I'm sick of being labeled a drug seeker. I don't ask for narcotics either, mainly because for a severe attack they aren't what works best, or worse cause a rebound headache.
I'm going back to my dr but it takes a week to get in, and there is only one neurologist in my little town. I'm afraid to find out how long it will take to get in. whatever it takes.
hang it there. I'm not sure what to do with myself at this point. I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I still wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Reply Reply