It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #1

stayouttamalibu HB User
need wisdom teeth removed, no dental insurance

hello all...im in a predicament right now where i need to have my wisdom teeth out soon, not URGENT but im starting to feel some pain and dont want any bigger problems down the road, but i have no dental insurance. i was thinking of signing up for a discounted fees plan like CAREington or something like that...im also worried about anesthetic, the dentist i just had my xrays at(paid for out of my pocket) said a lot of insurance plans dont cover full sedative, just local...im the type that would want to be knocked out and just have it done. any advice?

Old 11-18-2003, 04:31 AM   #2

rubindj HB User
Ask how much it will be and see if you can't afford it. About 3 years ago it was $800 for all 4 of mine. Given, that's not cheap, but its about what I would owe if I were admitted to the hospital on my health insurance. Your dentist will probably accept credit cards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: need wisdom teeth removed, no dental insurance

I had mine extracted 10 years ago when I didn't have health insurance -- cost me less than $100. My oral surgeon was able to pull them, so I didn't have to be put under. He just numbed me to the gills --- forehead to neck and yanked them out.

I had two done on one side and a few years later, when I was having problems with the remaining ones, I lived elsewhere and had a terrible time trying to find anyone who would do the same -- they all wanted to put me under, which involved an anesthetist, possible hospitalization.... So I contacted the dentist who did them before -- no problem. So, if you're able, maybe your dentist is willing to pull them or refer you to someone who will.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:27 AM   #4

stayouttamalibu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
I had mine extracted 10 years ago when I didn't have health insurance -- cost me less than $100. My oral surgeon was able to pull them, so I didn't have to be put under. He just numbed me to the gills --- forehead to neck and yanked them out.

I had two done on one side and a few years later, when I was having problems with the remaining ones, I lived elsewhere and had a terrible time trying to find anyone who would do the same -- they all wanted to put me under, which involved an anesthetist, possible hospitalization.... So I contacted the dentist who did them before -- no problem. So, if you're able, maybe your dentist is willing to pull them or refer you to someone who will.

im told theyre impacted though, so simply pulling them wouldnt be that easy.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:30 AM   #5

rubindj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayouttamalibu
im told theyre impacted though, so simply pulling them wouldnt be that easy.
I should have mentioned I was 24 when mine were done and they were severely impacted. I was put under anesthesia (more than Nitrous, less than General) by the oral surgeon in his office. Like I said it was 800 for all 4 at once.

You may want to call around to the oral surgeons in your area and ask the cost. Keep in mind that even if you got dental insurance tommorrow, most plan's will only cover 50% of oral surgery, to a maximum of $500 for their costs, and only after you've had the plan for 2 years. The only other option might be if you can get it convered by your medical insurance. Some will cover tooth extraction in certian cases.

Old 12-25-2003, 05:59 AM   #6

krtylerwisconsin HB User

Wisdom teeth extractions are generally considered medical, not dental procedures. Check with your health insurance company for coverage.

Last edited by krtylerwisconsin; 12-25-2003 at 06:00 AM.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayouttamalibu
hello all...im in a predicament right now where i need to have my wisdom teeth out soon, not URGENT but im starting to feel some pain and dont want any bigger problems down the road, but i have no dental insurance. i was thinking of signing up for a discounted fees plan like CAREington or something like that...im also worried about anesthetic, the dentist i just had my xrays at(paid for out of my pocket) said a lot of insurance plans dont cover full sedative, just local...im the type that would want to be knocked out and just have it done. any advice?
Some of these sugestions are good. My suggestion would is to see if there is a dental college in your area. They are always looking for people to work on. They are supervised by a licensed dr and are very close to graduating. In other words, they are already experienced. Good luck!

Closed Thread