It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #1

ShouldBeDancin HB User
Insurance coverage for IDET, nuecleoplasty, disc decompression etc

My doctor first recommended a nuecleaplasty for me over 2 years ago!
I was injured at work.....the WC doctor says that WC can not pay for the procedure (or and Idet, disc compression etc) because all these procedures are considered experimental. He went on to say that no private insurances cover any of these procedures either.

But I read someplace that more and more private insurances ARE paying for these types of treatments....I want to tell WC about this but I am going to need more details than "well lots of insurances are covering it"

I need to be able to provide names of these insurances that are approving payment.

Has anyone here had any procedure that I have mentioned?
Or any procedure with the same code..CPT 62287?

If you have can you please tell me the name of the insurance company?
I don't need any personal info about YOU.....I just need replies like
for example "Aetna paid for my IDET" or " BC/BS paid for my neucleoplasty"
or "WC paid for my IDET"(would appreciate your state if WC paid. I am in Illinois)

etc.
I am so desperate! WC has cut me off claiming that since procedures under CPT62287 are not covered by mainstream insurance it is not covered by WC and therefore nothing else can be done for me!! And so they cut me off.

I feel my only hope is to provide them with as many facts disputing their conclusion as i can find.
Please, Please, if you can; help me out.

I suffer from chronic pain for 4 YEARS and I see no end in sight. It is destroying my life. And I feel like no one is at all concerned about it.
Yes, I do have a lawyer. I am fed up with him too but don't know if it is wise to change attorneys after 4 years.

Anybody??? Can you tell me how you got one of these procedures paid for.
This is a nightmare.

maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #2

Sandson HB User
Re: Insurance coverage for IDET, nuecleoplasty, disc decompression etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeDancin
I was injured at work.....the WC doctor says that WC can not pay for the procedure (or and Idet, disc compression etc) because all these procedures are considered experimental. He went on to say that no private insurances cover any of these procedures either.

But I read someplace that more and more private insurances ARE paying for these types of treatments....I want to tell WC about this but I am going to need more details than "well lots of insurances are covering it"

I need to be able to provide names of these insurances that are approving payment.

or "WC paid for my IDET"(would appreciate your state if WC paid. I am in Illinois)

etc.
I am so desperate! WC has cut me off claiming that since procedures under CPT62287 are not covered by mainstream insurance it is not covered by WC and therefore nothing else can be done for me!! And so they cut me off.

I feel my only hope is to provide them with as many facts disputing their conclusion as i can find.

I suffer from chronic pain for 4 YEARS and I see no end in sight. It is destroying my life. And I feel like no one is at all concerned about it.
Yes, I do have a lawyer. I am fed up with him too but don't know if it is wise to change attorneys after 4 years.

This is a nightmare.

maggie
Maggie:

I can understand your delimma because I am going through some BS with Employer/WC. I am battling for recieving treatment of my work related RSD condition at pain management clinic. If your attorney has been effective in getting you the needed treatment and PPD judegements, I would say stick with him/her. However, if your attroney has gotten you no results at all, you might want to consider changing your attorney. But whatever you do, you musn't give up hope and try to stay strong. They try to put us through all this red tape in order to break us down. Stay Strong! I hope all works out for you.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:43 AM   #3

kvn60640 HB User

The comp docs are being straight with you. Theses procedures are all new and therefore no clinical studies have been done to show long term effects etc. I would be very wary of any of these procedures, especially the IDET. This procedure actually changes the structure of the disc material and I believe the doctors who are performing it are getting rewarded in some way by the manufacturer of the equiptment used in the procedure. I myself considered all of the procedures you mentioned. I have a 15mm herniated disc at L5/S1 which was crushing my nerve root causing what eventually became dibilitating pain. Walking more than 20 feet or so at a time was all I could do before dropping to my knees. What kind of medications have you tried so far? What exactly does the MRI report or other tests show? Have you considered microdiscectomy? This obviously would be an absolute last resort. I had the laminotomy/microdiscectomy on Jan 26 which provided little relief from my pain and now Im experiecing weakness in my right leg which I never had problems with. Before surgery the pain was strictly on the left side. Let me know about the different meds you have tried. Good luck with everything. By the way, I had my procedures done in Chicago at Illinois Masonic at the corner of Belmont and Wellington.
Kevin

Last edited by kvn60640; 04-09-2004 at 08:36 AM.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:22 PM   #4

mrzlady HB User

I was in a car accident while at work 1 1/2 years ago. I had several injuries one being my low back. It was recommended for me to have IDET. My workman's comp told me that if the doctor recommended this treatment then they had no choice but to pay it. I had the procedure done.( it was very painful) but was well worth it. I am 1 year out from the procedure and feel so much better. I do still have bad days, but not often. I live in AL. Good luck

Old 01-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

John_Doe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeDancin

etc.

This is a nightmare.

maggie

Old 01-20-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
(female)

John_Doe HB User

The IDET procedure is covered by some insurnce companies and not others. Healthcare Advocates, Inc. 215-735-7111 has experience with these issues and might be able to help you.

Closed Thread