It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

veree HB User
Need Surgery..no Insurance

Wondering if a doctor can turn me down for needed surgery if I don't have insurance

Old 06-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #2
(female)

spmgj HB User
Re: Need Surgery..no Insurance

He may offer a non-insurance discount if you don't have insurance coverage. But you still have to pay for it. Most doctors who went to schools for 10 years are not interested in working for free, at least not on individual basis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I don't have insurance and needed to have surgery to remove pre-cancerous cells from my cervix and my doctor gave me a discount on the surgery. I still had to pay for it - up front! Now, I have to have another surgery and I'm broke as hell & still have no insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmgj
He may offer a non-insurance discount if you don't have insurance coverage. But you still have to pay for it. Most doctors who went to schools for 10 years are not interested in working for free, at least not on individual basis.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
(female)

spmgj HB User

Then I am 100% sure that you will never ever be accepted to an individual plan with your health history. Your only chance may be with a group plan. Even that, that condition may be excluded. But at least other parts of your body is covered under a group plan. Are you poor enough to be eligible under Medicade (Medi-cal in California) or old enough to be on Medicare (federal)? Insurance is only for healthy people from the insurance company's viewpoint. You need a clean history to be accepted on individual plan. Group plan is easier because they have a larger base to spread the risk.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

veree HB User

I make 6.50. Work my butt off 40 hours a week and medicaid says I make too much for help.Is this ridculous or what??????????

Old 06-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Inactive

KimRick HB User

The only way I'd be eligible for Medicaid (Florida) is if I was unemployed or pregnant. Since I'm neither, I'm screwed! I can qualify for Medicaid with shared costs, meaning they pay for everything over $2,000.00 (the problem is, I don't have $2,000.00). I can qualify for an individual plan, but it won't cover me for anywhere between 1-3 years & that's pretty useless! The only way I can get any type of insurance, right away, is through a group plan, usually offered through employers. THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saar1234
I make 6.50. Work my butt off 40 hours a week and medicaid says I make too much for help.Is this ridculous or what??????????

Old 06-08-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

spmgj HB User

Well, in this country, you have to be either very rich or very poor to beat the system. Christopher Reed can afford 400k a month to rehab his fall off his horse. The government health care system is taking care of all the poor folks who donít pay taxes. If you are anywhere between these two points, sorry, you are on your own. Let me tell the world what my experience with insurance company, Blue Cross in particular:

I had insurance coverage with pacificare/healthnet/blue cross through work for over 15 years. I had asked a Blue Cross rep if I would have problem getting individual plan conversion when my COBRA expired in December if I had bunion surgery in August. He told me by year-end I would have recovered from the surgery and that would not be an issue. So I went ahead to have my double bunion surgery on 8/28/03 (the 14th months of my COBRA coverage period). When I applied for conversion to individual policy 4 months after my surgery, Blue Cross rejected me on that basis. They indicated that I needed to be symptoms free for 6 months. So I reapplied at 6 months after surgery, and now they rejected me again on a non-conclusive EKG done in pre-op prior to the surgery. I spent out of pocket money to see my doctor and got a new EKG done with good result. Now they want to get a liver function test result for reconsideration of my application. Where does this end? Do they have to check every single bone? The premium structure is already penalizing me based on age. I would be paying 3 times of what my 23-year-old daughter pays for the same coverage. I am a healthy 53 year old woman, I walk everyday (4 months after surgery I resumed my daily walk), eat fruits and vegetables, blood pressure in the range of 100/70, sleep well, eat sensibly, no menopausal problem, and I truly believe that I will live to 100 years old. Yet they are picking on every thing under the sun to deny me. I am still undecided what is my next step. I may go through the appeal process. All I can say at this point is: it is their loss of premium not to insure a healthy person like me. I figure the last 6 months I am uninsured, I saved over $1000 of premium. Does anyone out there who has any advice for me? Any insurance underwriter out there who knows the in/out of the gimmicks to pick and choose who to insure?

Old 07-05-2004, 05:22 PM   #8

nyjt1000 HB User

i agree i have no insurance eithier and am in need of testing i tried medicaid they laughed!! u have to have a kid to get that ! this does suck we are spending all this money feeding the middle east and giving them medical care but turning away people who really need help here!! one thing i finally did get was a program called occupation rehab its in florida they are acually helping a lil bit !!!! but somehow i did get alot of tests done i just got a surgey a biopsie done with no insurance lol u have to be persistent keep going to the er! fake some symptoms if u have 2 they cant turn you down !!!!o yea also the best way to get a surgery done if u need it is talk to the hospital social workers they can do a ton for you and set it up some doctors acually will work for free or maybe i was just lucky!!

Old 07-05-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
(female)

veree HB User

Went to the assistance office for help the other day and was treated like dirt so I just left the office went home and called my legislator who is going to try to get help. I won't be able to work for a month to month and a half (brain surgery) so I only want help for this short period of time. They told me to try to get unemployment. Yeh, I'm going in for brain surgery and I'm sure if I get called for a job I'll be able to work. How stupid can they be. Almost laughable.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #10

nyjt1000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saar1234
Went to the assistance office for help the other day and was treated like dirt so I just left the office went home and called my legislator who is going to try to get help. I won't be able to work for a month to month and a half (brain surgery) so I only want help for this short period of time. They told me to try to get unemployment. Yeh, I'm going in for brain surgery and I'm sure if I get called for a job I'll be able to work. How stupid can they be. Almost laughable.
iam telling your best bet is talking to the social workers at your nearest hospital!! they will help mine is so good! also try vocational rehap im sure your state has a program like it basicaly gets you back to work they pay for everything just get ahold of a social worker from the hospital they will get you all the info on what programs can help trust me ! just dont give up !!

Old 07-10-2004, 07:38 AM   #11

mckenzie84 HB User

When I was working, I'm not right now, I was making 5.15 an hour (sometimes I actually got paid 4.75, until I said something about it) and the state said that I made too much. Ever penny I had was going towards medical bills for a while. And I still owe a nearby hospital almost 3,000 because they are charging me triple for one doctor, so I refuse to pay until they get that sorted out. But I know how it is with the whole "pre-existing" conditions. Hardly any insurance will accept me just because I am diabetic

Old 07-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #12

wife in despire HB User

I had to have my gallbladder removed 3 years ago I have no insurance there are programs if it is manditory surgery ( life threatening) that will pay for them where I live in Ky there is a program called a spend down card that if the surgery cost is over what your income is then you can receive it like a medicaid card that will pay for the surgery and the followup visit

Old 08-13-2004, 04:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Can you get help from your county health department? You may be stuck with the rest of the bills but your doc bill could possibly be at a reduced price.
I don't have insurance either. I make $7.00/hr on a part time basis (raising a 15 y/o son) and I have a medical condition also so I know where you're coming from. It stinks, doesn't it?
Barb

Closed Thread