It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

Starfish9745 HB User
Cigna sucks

The one med that I love they don't cover right now because its a newer drug.. They will cover anything else but the one I need thanks again Cigna..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 05:23 AM   #2

Kaylbe HB User
Re: Cigna sucks

Ask your doctor to complete and submit a prior authorization form for the drug you need. It's possible to get approval for it if there's good enough justification. I've been able to obtain non-formulary drugs this way.

Good luck!

--Kaylbe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

I've had a similar experience. I had the Dr. do a prior authorization and they still would no approve it. But I wrote an appeal letter to MEDCO (the pharmacy end) and it was approved, so that may be another avenue.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dan_robinson HB User

I agree 1000% that Cigna sucks. You can be totally right that they should pay a claim (especially when they incorrectly pay in-network providers as out-of-network) -- even if their telephone customer support people agree with you and everyone you can talk to says you're right -- still you get an EOB 4 months later that denies the claim.

Cigna will do anything they can to avoid paying what they owe.

I have had over 100 disputes with Cigna, some of which have spanned over 3 years before they're finally paid. ALL of them have eventually been paid if I disputed for long enough and if I got my company's HR department involved (except for some claims which the providers just wrote off -- another favorite tactic of Cigna's).

If any corporate HR department people are reading these boards: don't choose Cigna for your company. Your employees deserve better.

Note: it is true, as one response here says, that sometimes the provider can have better luck with a preauth than you can. There are some providers that are especially good at this and have employees specifically dedicated to it - particularly home health care providers, medical device companies and wheelchair companies.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
(male)

Evev HB User

Speaking of Cigna, I have Cigna right now and had to file a claim myself because I got sick while I was on vacation out of the country and saw a doctor. I put the charge on my credit card so that when I got back I could send them my card statement along with the reciept. I sent my claim to Cigna in December and I have not heard back from them since. Luckily the bill was not a lot of money, of course since I was not in the USA! (the dr visit was about $50-60, and my copay alone is $30 with cigna, so I guess there wasn't much point to file a cliam anyways!) So I'm not too upset but shouldn't they at least send a rejection letter or something? My COBRA ends soon so luckily I don't have to have Cigna anymore, I guess thats good news.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

as an agent I chose not to sell it.

Mudhound

Closed Thread