It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
(male)

beegie HB User
Smile Has anybody won SSDI benefits on the reconsideration stage?

Hi,

It's beegie. I wanted to find out if any body won SSI/SSDI benefits at the reconsideration stage if so. Can anybody tell me how they got it. I am currently at the reconsideration stage I have gotten attorney I need some advice what to do next. i appreciated any information and suggestions that will be helpful. Also I would like to know how long does it take for Reconsideration decision.

Thanks.

Beegie

Last edited by beegie; 06-26-2005 at 06:22 PM.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User
Re: Has anybody won SSDI benefits on the reconsideration stage?

Hey Beegie, my husband was awarded ssdi at the reconsideration stage..We didn't retain an attorney.It can take as long as 6 months, I believe..Another adjucator will look at your case, not the same person as before, so it is like starting all over again..We reapplied in December and he was awarded in June...So yes it has taken awhile and it is stressful when u know u or your loved one is disabled and u r waiting on someone to make a decision about u..Just hang in there, it is probably going to be a few more months....I do wish u the best of luck and I hope they award u very soon....

Take care, Ralinda

The Following User Says Thank You to Ralinda30 For This Useful Post:
kruse (09-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The one thing I found out when i won the second time around was that I lost alot of time with regard to when they decided i was actually disabled.I had put down the date of my spinal cord surgery as I was also told by my neurosurgeon that my recovery would take at the very least, up to a year.and I truely was disabled the second they opened my spinal cord up and went inside.Well, I was denied the first time around April first and when they actually awarded benefits, since they had decided the i was not disabled the first time around, they only went back to the date of the first denial and screwed me out of like seven months of back pay.That sucked.My lawyer said that I could fight it but if I did and lost, the judge could possibly take away ALL of my new benefits and that would be much much worse so I just said, hey, at least I actually finally got approved and left it alone.Also make sure that you update ANY new medical issues.I also wrote a letter to who ever was going to look at my file and fully explained the reasons why I felt they were wrong.They had stated a load of BS reasons why I was denied the first time around in that letter they sent out when you got denied?like i could actually work as a part time cashier again,and actually use BOTH hands fully.Despite the fact that my L hand suffered extreme damage from the surgery and is actually starting to claw.(also had an EMG done that showed many lost nerves and dead muscles)Oh yeah, i can really do transactions and work a register with that??I could not believe some of the things they stated i could still do.Did they not actually read all of the documented damage in all of my medical files??i really was quite shocked and felt compelled to straighten them out by explaining reasons for every single thing they said i could still do.this really helps to justify why you feel you deserve to be awarded benefits.I wish you luck.Marcia

Old 06-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
(male)

beegie HB User
Smile Re: Has anybody won SSDI benefits on the reconsideration stage?

Hi ralinda,

Thanks for everything. I am praying and trying to keep the faith things will be better in time. I just keep getting depressed and my condition is getting worsen about how I am going to live and waited out without no medical insurance, financial support to take care myself . it is very hard. And the government keeps denied people who is totally disabled of everything it is so wrong and cruel. I will have to fight hard to win this time. I have good records and going to ongoing treatment and maybe when my attorney gets my file and see what they said that denied me I can added more conditions and details to this situation. this time.

I will keep faith and pray with god will blessed me with this eventually.

Thanks
Beegie

Old 06-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
(male)

beegie HB User
Thumbs up Re: Has anybody won SSDI benefits on the reconsideration stage?

Hi marcia,

They did me the same way like you. They didn't read or submitted all my medical records and information I send to my adjucator. they plan out denied me saying I could do my past work and that my condition wasn't sereve. That is bologna. I am suffering from major depressive disorder, mrigate headaches, back and hip pain, arithius, skin disorder(seriocious), anxiety disorder, weight gaining obesity, dizzness and anlke and trouble walking. They denied me both SSDI and SSI I think that is bull and now I am denied Medicaid. that is riduclous I haven't work full time in 2 years. If I haven't work in two you have to know my condition is very serious. they don't care.

I have an attorney now I am going to work extremely hard to make sure I get thoses benefits I deserved. I hope the best for everyone who going through what I am going through. We can really win our benefits.

thanks.
beegie

Old 06-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

I agree it is hard to get any public assistance from the government...I applied for foodstamps when we first got home from the Army..We had 0 income..I mean not a penny...There is our 4 children, myself and my disabled husband..We were denied because of our assists...We own an acre of land, so I hope u can get some kind of assistance, but I am very disappointed in the system. That is ashame if u own something with little value, but have no income than u cant get any help...

Old 06-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
(male)

beegie HB User

how are i am going to survived financially? I keep asking myself that. I can't buy me anything or pay any bills like i did before. I am fight for this SSI/SSDI right now I am so depressed and tired my condition is getting worst. I don't have much energy to do anything. Any suggestions what I can do next.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:57 AM   #8
(female)

Brenygirl HB User

Hi Beegie,
My hubby won on the 3rd time around I think. (Either 2nd or 3rd but pretty sure it was the 3rd) We had 3 young children & I made 200.00 per week. Our rent was 700.00. We had to get creative to live let me tell you! We used up his retirement fund to live and boy I sure dont know how we got thru it but we did. It is amazing to look back and say WOW we did it. One of the things that finally pushed thru his SSDI is that we contacted our state representatives, senators etc. They got it pushed through on hardship. It came at the right time too as we would have been evicted the next month if we did not have the rent.

He got the same BS too about being able to work his job. He was a machinist & had 2 failed back surgeries. They said he could go back to his old job (heavy lifting) or work in a gas station (I think that is their fav reply) He could not stand sit or lay for long periods of time and his left leg would give out & he would fall often.

We fought with SSDI for 2 years. They did back date it until the time his back problems began (way before the surgery when he began missing work). We had an attorney, but he didnt do crap. I think he wrote them one letter, everytime we called he just said we had to wait. We took it upon ourselves to write to the government officials. You need to talk talk talk to anyone there who will listen.

I have heard that it takes so long as they want to weed out the people who really dont need it, thinking they will give up and go back to work because it is taking so long. I can understand that, but what about the people who REALLY need it? My husband was in the Army ....he served for our country and then we get this crap?! Sorry I can really get going on this subject! He had a mental breakdown (cant think of the terminology I am so worked up) over all this! He felt like he was not a man because he could not work to support his family. I sure felt like I could have one, working full time and then coming home to take care of him at lunch and then the kids & housework after work. I had to take care of everything because he could not and they had to nerve to say he could work in a gas station!

Well the good news is that he is finally doing better & the doctor has let him work part time. He wants to be off SSDI so badly. Now I am the one with the medical problems and my doctor keeps telling me I should file. I tell him no that I want to work . Well my work told me I am unable to work & should look into it. I will post more on it later...

Hang in there Beegie! You will make it and I will say a prayer for you and everyone else here that is trying to get SSDI/SSI.

Breny

Old 07-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
(male)

beegie HB User

Hi,

Thanks for the kinds words and support I truly appreciated it. I believed I will have to go before a hearing to get approved like your hubby. I think SSA is so strict with their rules of disability it so hard to get approved on the first time and you have to go through denial of each stages before getting approved. You are absolute right they want people to give up and not fight for what they need. I am going to keep fighting to win. I am not going to let them win. I think the first denial was they didn't read of all my disability and also that I didn't have any good doctors to support i am disabled so I have drop them and looking for really good doctor.

I was treated to mental facility Winn Way Mental health for my depression and anxiety disorder they are not good they don't have anybody to support people SSDI and SSI case who don't have anything and unable work. So I am changing them go to medical phyisican who will support my case and medical condition.

It is very hard to live without financial resources and no support and unable to do things like you did before it is tradgey.

I am suffering from the following conditions:
Depression
Anxiety
Skin Disorder
Migrate headaches
artihius/ back and hip pain
obesity (weight gaining)

I am hope and pray I will get it the SSDI/SSI. I wish the same and hope everybody who was denial to get it. I hope my attorney will help with this process.

thanks
beegie

Old 07-04-2005, 02:43 AM   #10
(female)

Backspasms HB User

Hello All and Happy 4th of July!

All I can say is that my fiancee is on round 3 through Allsop and he just got denial 2. All I can say is that I pray that it gets over soon because I have watched him go through so much suffering. They tried to say he could sit and work but that is a big NO! He had a failed back surgery and on days like today he had to have his fentanyl patch, his atciq (sp?) sucker and muscle relaxer and was still in pain. So I hope it gets over with quickly! Hope everyone else hears good news soon too!
Backspasms

Old 07-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
(female)

follen HB User

Hi beegie. Well I am posting on here a little late but I hope you get to see this anyhow! I won my SSDI benefits at the reconsideration stage. I am a 33 yo female and suffer from the following - (by the way I'm not saying all this to say "look at me" just to let you know so we can kinda compare our cases)

bipolar (they keep fluctuating between I and II)
PTSD
panic attacks
sleep disorders
severe paranoia
(unfortunately the list goes on...)

..just to name a few...I know, I'm a horrible case, huh? Anyway, I was sent a letter after I was denied the first time saying I had to go see one of their psychologists to determine if I was disabled by their rules, but I was already seeing one of my own regularly, and a few weeks later I guess they received what they needed from that doctor in the mail from my records, because I got a letter in the mail from SSDI that said "we have canceled your appointment with our doctor. This appointment is no longer needed. You will be contacted shortly with more details" or something like that - I dont' have it right in front of me. I was confused and started bothering the heck out of my SSDI workers and so finally one slipped (which she really shouldn't have in all honesty) and told me I'd been approved because some records came in that gave them the proof they needed, and that was that.

I don't know if my stupid little story was even needed, so I'm sorry if I wasted your time.

I have heard from about 3 different attorneys and from my SSDI workers that physical conditions PLUS mental really UP the chances to win when they go together. Mine are no physical, only mental and emotional. Also age plays a huge factor is what I've been told. If you're younger, they judge more harshly. I've heard that. I don't think that is right but I have heard that. I have also heard it depends a lot on the ALJ you get which I also don't think is fair. I think it should all depend on a systematic law and that it should not depend on the dern MOOD of some ALJ that day. But that is what a lawyer told me. You see, my husband has filed also and he and I are at the 3rd stage for him. He is only 29 but suffering from sever obesity and mental problems, sleep apnea amongst many other things. This lawyer we have is not optomistic (sp?) at all for him and she says our judges here in our state are 60 and 70 years old and she knows every one of them... she says when a young person comes in and stands before them, no matter the problem, they all sneer and say, "humph... you can work." I don't think that is fair because that means they aren't looking at the full situation and I watch the way my husband suffers every single day and night.

But it sound like you have a good chance of winning. Heck you may have won by now and I am just ramblingggg on for nothing. You may never even see my post! Anyway I hope I helped but who knows with me!

Good luck with it all and if I can help any more you be sure and ask!

-Follen.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
(male)

beegie HB User
Smile Re: Has anybody won SSDI benefits on the reconsideration stage?

Hi Follen,

Thanks for the kinds words and support I truly appreciated it. It's never too late hear from anybody who knows the SSA process that can be very much helpful to others in the end. I am glad to hear from people going throught the samething it does make me feel better to have hope and support.

Since I have physical and mental all together my chances hopefully great to get approved. But you never know until after being denial an intital and possiblity reconsideration stage. I have an attorney now have already file the reconsideration appeal now we are waiting I guess if we are denial reconsideration stage the AJL hearing will be the next step. I just pray and hope it will turn out for the best.

I think SSA is so strict with their rules of disability it so hard to get approved on the first time and you have to go through denial of each stages before getting approved. You are absolute right they want people to give up and not fight for what they need. I am going to keep fighting to win. I am not going to let them win. I think the first denial was they didn't read of all my disability and also that I didn't have any good doctors to support i am disabled so I have drop them and looking for really good doctor.

I was treated to mental facility Winn Way Mental health for my depression and anxiety disorder they are not good they don't have anybody to support people SSDI and SSI case who don't have anything and unable work. So I am unable to afford treated there so I changing them go to medical clinic I know that is better than nothing and to a phyisican who will support my case and medical condition.

It is very hard to live without financial resources and no support and unable to do things like you did before it is tradgey.

I am suffering from the following conditions:
Depression
Anxiety
Skin Disorder
Migrate headaches
artihius/ back and hip pain
obesity (weight gaining)

I am hope and pray I will get it the SSDI/SSI. I wish the same and hope everybody who was denial to get it. I hope my attorney will help with this process.

thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
(female)

fresnoangel HB User

And I was told..Don't ever go without having legal representation,because they will call the unreped people first,andits always a denial for them. I had a paralegal and he represented me "wonderful". And I finally won..Being turned down is just part of their game,you always have to ask for an appeal. Good luck,and just be patient(I know its hard). It will eventually pay off for you. They HOPE that a person will just give up once denied.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
(female)

home sweet home HB User

hi beegie, yes I did. After being denied the first time got lawyer. From their it took 12 months. My problems started in2003.So sent every docs apps ,A medication list also since2003 and all the side effects. And as soon as I had any new doc app. or new meds I got the info to them as soon as possible. The only way I could of went to all those app's was my husband had good insurance, so I was very lucky that way. Otherwise I would just be suffering. My heart goes out to those that are in that situation. My attorney specialized in ss. But I still looked at it as thou I had none. I did as much of the work as I could. I got all the doctors files and sent them, was not going to take any chances. Even kept a diary, weather it help or not I dont know. I would look up my problem on web md and print it off and highlight anything that purtained to me and my situation. Good luck I hope this will help. home sweet home

Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Even though the odds are low at the reconsideration level, it is possible. My rep recently told me about one of her other clients who just won at the reconsideration level. He had heart problems, and she thinks it was a heartfelt letter from his doctor that won it for him.

My case is at the reconsideration level right now. Last week, I got a letter from the disability specialist at SSDI, asking me to call her. I got the ok from my rep first, then called. She wanted to clarify the work I did at my last job. She was polite, did not try to trick me - only wanted to go over my job duites in great detail. She ended the conversation with: I just wanted to make sure you really did all the things you listed. I hope this is a good sign.

Closed Thread