It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 66
Abakos49 HB User
Health insurance and HIV.....

does anyone know any health insurance providers that do and do not cover pre-existing conditions (in this case HIV)?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 599
CARAT414 HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

My brother had insurance through Mutual of Omaha, different subsidiaries and affliates handled his medical, house, life and vehicle insurance. Although they claim he was not discontinued because of his HIV+ status, they just so happen to cancel him and his company within a month of a clerical error notifying them of his status. Claiming his last payment was not received by the due date. My brother had paid cash for all his treatments and medications for several years before them finding out. My brother had insurance for him and all of his employees for over 15 years and had never missed a payment or was late. You can draw your own conclusion on that one. I believe it is against the law to refuse a person based on their HIV status but that doesn't mean that they don't.

Good Luck
Casey

Casey

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 518
SPECTACULAR HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARAT414
My brother had insurance through Mutual of Omaha, different subsidiaries and affliates handled his medical, house, life and vehicle insurance. Although they claim he was not discontinued because of his HIV+ status, they just so happen to cancel him and his company within a month of a clerical error notifying them of his status. Claiming his last payment was not received by the due date. My brother had paid cash for all his treatments and medications for several years before them finding out. My brother had insurance for him and all of his employees for over 15 years and had never missed a payment or was late. You can draw your own conclusion on that one. I believe it is against the law to refuse a person based on their HIV status but that doesn't mean that they don't.

Good Luck
Casey

Casey
Casey, that is disgusting. I'm very sorry to hear that.

 
Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 90
angel4u HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

Carat it sounds to me like your brother should be contacting a legal agency that deals with people who discriminate due to status.....Insurance companies are just as bad as lawyers, they take your money but don't ask them to pay out on the policies they sell..Good luck to your brother and I would definitely fight this thing.....Peace

 
Old 08-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 651
panaSONIQUE HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

That's crazy, but i've heard of people being denied in some way or another because of thier HIV+ status...it's not fair, we dump millions of dollars into healthcare to be denied???
__________________
There are two ways to shine, be the candle, or be the mirror that reflects it

 
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 599
CARAT414 HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

Angel, unfortunately my brother was very weak when this all occured. He passed away on the 22nd so its over.

Casey

 
Old 08-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 90
angel4u HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

I am so sorry for your loss carat.....May your brother watch over you always. Blessings

 
Old 08-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 189
its2late2dream HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

i did the same thing casey. i went without alot just to pay for my medication so work wouldn't know. when they did find out through an accident that wasn't my fault, they said my medication and mental state made it unsafe for me to work. 2 weeks later they offered me a lower paying job without benefits. prejudice is more evil than even HIV, because people who are prejudiced have no desire to get well. barb

 
Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 518
SPECTACULAR HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2late2dream
i they said my medication and mental state made it unsafe for me to work. 2 weeks later they offered me a lower paying job without benefits.
This is INFURIATING! This is the whole reason we have health insurance. It's mind boggeling to me.

 
Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 599
CARAT414 HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

SPECTACULAR with out me climbing on my soap box about this, there is no such thing as a non profit health insurance company. They all make a profit, it is the american way.

 
Old 08-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #11
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27
kell11 HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTACULAR
Casey, that is disgusting. I'm very sorry to hear that.
Im a buisnessowner.I could echo the story...sad.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
In between jobs, no health insurance for 2 weeks? Belly Kelly Health Insurance Issues 10 12-11-2009 03:41 PM
My Pre-Surgery Message/No Health Insurance Message xtattooX Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 2 04-21-2008 10:43 PM
Health Insurance Question jbagain97 Health Insurance Issues 3 01-04-2008 11:16 AM
Health insurance?? huh?? cantell Fibromyalgia 2 09-19-2007 06:52 AM
Health Insurance Vixen72 HIV Prevention 2 03-01-2007 06:18 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!