It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
(male)

Abakos49 HB User
Health insurance and HIV.....

does anyone know any health insurance providers that do and do not cover pre-existing conditions (in this case HIV)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User
Re: Health insurance and HIV.....

My brother had insurance through Mutual of Omaha, different subsidiaries and affliates handled his medical, house, life and vehicle insurance. Although they claim he was not discontinued because of his HIV+ status, they just so happen to cancel him and his company within a month of a clerical error notifying them of his status. Claiming his last payment was not received by the due date. My brother had paid cash for all his treatments and medications for several years before them finding out. My brother had insurance for him and all of his employees for over 15 years and had never missed a payment or was late. You can draw your own conclusion on that one. I believe it is against the law to refuse a person based on their HIV status but that doesn't mean that they don't.

Good Luck
Casey

Casey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SPECTACULAR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARAT414
My brother had insurance through Mutual of Omaha, different subsidiaries and affliates handled his medical, house, life and vehicle insurance. Although they claim he was not discontinued because of his HIV+ status, they just so happen to cancel him and his company within a month of a clerical error notifying them of his status. Claiming his last payment was not received by the due date. My brother had paid cash for all his treatments and medications for several years before them finding out. My brother had insurance for him and all of his employees for over 15 years and had never missed a payment or was late. You can draw your own conclusion on that one. I believe it is against the law to refuse a person based on their HIV status but that doesn't mean that they don't.

Good Luck
Casey

Casey
Casey, that is disgusting. I'm very sorry to hear that.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

angel4u HB User

Carat it sounds to me like your brother should be contacting a legal agency that deals with people who discriminate due to status.....Insurance companies are just as bad as lawyers, they take your money but don't ask them to pay out on the policies they sell..Good luck to your brother and I would definitely fight this thing.....Peace

Old 08-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User

That's crazy, but i've heard of people being denied in some way or another because of thier HIV+ status...it's not fair, we dump millions of dollars into healthcare to be denied???

Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Angel, unfortunately my brother was very weak when this all occured. He passed away on the 22nd so its over.

Casey

Old 08-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

angel4u HB User

I am so sorry for your loss carat.....May your brother watch over you always. Blessings

Old 08-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #8
(female)

its2late2dream HB User

i did the same thing casey. i went without alot just to pay for my medication so work wouldn't know. when they did find out through an accident that wasn't my fault, they said my medication and mental state made it unsafe for me to work. 2 weeks later they offered me a lower paying job without benefits. prejudice is more evil than even HIV, because people who are prejudiced have no desire to get well. barb

Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SPECTACULAR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2late2dream
i they said my medication and mental state made it unsafe for me to work. 2 weeks later they offered me a lower paying job without benefits.
This is INFURIATING! This is the whole reason we have health insurance. It's mind boggeling to me.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

SPECTACULAR with out me climbing on my soap box about this, there is no such thing as a non profit health insurance company. They all make a profit, it is the american way.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #11
(male)

kell11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTACULAR
Casey, that is disgusting. I'm very sorry to hear that.
Im a buisnessowner.I could echo the story...sad.

Closed Thread