It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

Sibe HB User
Suggestions for Health Insurance Coverage for Self Emplyed w/PreExisting Conditions?

I've had moderate asthma since i was 12. I am now 37. I am also self-employed and have been for the last 5 years. Until recently, every health plan I've ever been under has covered it. Until recently, I always had health insurance.

In the last 3 years, I have had to reapply for health insurance twice due to two moves across state lines (FL to NV and then back to FL). The first time (in NV), I was accepted by BCBS of Nevada, but my new plan would NOT cover any costs related to my asthma (which was mostly medications). I was able to cope, because my medications came to only about $50/month. However, to my surprise (and horror), after moving back to FL this summer, I have been DECLINED health insurance by 3 different FL companies (and counting) because of my "pre-existing" asthma condition. I am now sitting uninsured and frantic about finding a plan that doesn't cost $600+ a month.

I've had friends and other small business owners tell me they have had to lie to get indivudal health insurance plans in this state. These people are all healthy; their "pre-existing" conditions are things like allergies, acne, and other rather benign medical issues. When they reported these things to insurance companies they were applying to, they were denied coverage. They felt they were driven to lie in order to get themselves covered.

I am completely against lieing to procure my insurance. And yet, I'm at a loss about where to go to get a plan. I've done a bunch of research on plans I may qualify for, and I'm on my 4th reputable company right now. I have yet to hear if I have been accepted (*crosses fingers*). I have also researched procuring health insurance through my business, which would allow any employee to receive health insurance regardless of their pre-existing conditions, but it's horribly expensive for one person.

Are there any other small business or self-employed people out there who have minor health issues who have found a company willing to take on the "risk" of insuring them on an individual basis? I don't mind reasonable deductables (up to $2500 is ok with me), and I don't mind a higher prescripton copay ($40 or $50 is ok with me). But I'm not paying $600 a month for that plan either.

I'd love to hear what solutions other people have found. I have to believe they're out there somewhere. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: Suggestions for Health Insurance Coverage for Self Emplyed w/PreExisting Conditions?

Sibe,

As a self-employed person myself, how well I understand the need for decent coverage. You may wish to check in your State for GUARANTEED HEALTH INSURACE. I live in Ohio and I could not get my wife covered under any Underwritten policy due to Dabetes, HBP, and Thyroid condition. But was able to get her covered and ALL of the conditions mentioned through Anthem Blue Cross by applying for Group Insurance. In order to do this you must show your wife as an Employee of your business in some way, so many hours is required. That should not be a hard thing to do for a self employed individual. Anything she does can be construed as an employee. Yes, you can figure some way to include her, I am sure.
I pay $792.00 per month. Yeah, I know its high, but it covered all her meds immediately according to Ohio Law. Prescriptions $10/25/40 . It has $5,000/10,000 out of pocket Maximums. $1000/3000 deductible. $75.00 ER copay. $30.00 office copay. Not too bad when you consider I would pay cash price of $450.00 per month for meds and am now paying $85.00.
It is guarantedd, they HAVE to put you on in Ohio if you meet the requirements as being self employed with 1 employee (Your wife). BY LAW !

Now, Having said that there IS 2 other ways that are quite good if you attend a Christian Church regularily, if interested. Otherwise they may not be worth mentioning. But they can run between $215.00-$346.00 per month for family plans. But they do have some restrictions on preexisting conditions. They will cover them but only after 1 year of being free from them.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: Suggestions for Health Insurance Coverage for Self Emplyed w/PreExisting Conditions?

Sibe,

BTW, I forgot to mention. I am almost 50 years old now, wife will soon be 49. Your cost on my policy would surely be at least $200.00 or more less, I would think.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

OH!

And did I forget something new here in Ohio called "Health Savings Accounts"? These are really really cool. Basically a company like Anthem insures you but your premium goes into a savings account which you use for prescritions or whatever, but they cover you for major things for a much smaller premium. If you don't use your account? That money is yours, or what is left of it. Because of my wifes large medical cost I think I broke even, but for you it might be worth a looksy in your State.

But, I don't know all the details totally. Bring it up to your insurance agent.

Closed Thread