It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #1

Dawnoffawn HB User
Medicaid for single women?

I'm a divorced mom and my son's covered through the NJ Kidcare program with a small fee every month and this is paid through his father since we agreed to this in our divorce papers since I do not work.
Anyway, I still do not work. I applied to many jobs and I still haven't found any job that accepted me since hte job market is so bad in my area.
I really need health inasurance but I have no income to pay for it.
I've asked Medicaid and they told me I cannot get Medicaid since it is only for children and they sometimes accept parents, but it is not guaranteed.
I do not want to put my son under my name since he already has insurance through his father and I don't want to take the risk of putting him under my name since if I couldn't afford it or if they did not accept me, i would not be able to put it back with ihs father since his father will not be willing to put him back even though he's supposed to pay his medical expenses legally as our agreement.
However, poeple told me that I CAN get medicaid as a single woman. It doesn't only apply to mother who hadve children in the program. However, they do not know how.
Any sinlge woman here gets medicaid? does anyone know how I can get state insurance as a single woman?
Thanks for any help.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
Re: Medicaid for single women?

The eligability requirments for Medicaid differ in each county. Perhaps that is why you are hearing different things? I am on Medicaid myself and was only able to get it through my son. I went to my local 'job and family service center' where I sat down with a case worker who went over my options. My son was already covered under tricare and even though I didnt want a secondary insurance for him, my case worker explained to me that without covering him, I cannot cover myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

Jenner06 HB User

I know that here in Texas in order to qualify for Medicaid as a single woman you cannot have any income at all. For example they count your child support as income. So even if that $$$ is all you have coming in, Medicaid will deny you stating that your income is too high (which is so stupid). So basically you have to be either completely destitute or pregnant. If you're pregnant you just have to meet the low income guidelines to qualify. So it is possible to get the coverage as a single woman, but it's really difficult to actually qualify.

But that's just here in Tx, the guidelines, etc.may be different in your state. If you google your state name + medicaid it should take you to the state medicaid website, and all the eligibility requirements should be listed there. So that may give you a better idea of what you're chances are. If it were me I would'nt take the risk of trying to qualify through my son though. Because if they deny him, then not only are you uninsured,but so is he and that would be stressful I'm sure. Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

BarbJ HB User

I'm in Florida and living on alimony and child support, I'm on a share of cost medicade, they pay for so much, and I pay the rest. and I'm on the county. The county is better than the state, they have wonderful doctors and I get my meds free or pay $1 for them, I get mamograms, and pap smears and they check my blood for my cholesterol, if it wasn't for them I wouldnt of known about my health problems.The only thing that isnt fair is they don't cover eyeglasses for me nor dental, that is slidding scale, which is still expensive. I've been trying to find help with dental, my teeth are bad and I need dentures.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Medicaid for single women?

You need to get on your states "Dept. of human services" web and look over eligibility requirements.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: When replying to a post it's not always necessary to reply with a quote.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User

Go to your local health department. They can either provide th services, or refer you to MD's that do work pro bono.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Dawn,

New Jersey has a good plan called NJ Family Care. The requirements are a child and a family income below a certain amount.
Check to see if you qualify; if you do it's VERY cheap.
I'm not sure of the ramifications of divorce and child support.

http://www.njfamilycare.org/pages/who_njkc.html

Closed Thread