It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Workman's Comp. Injured on Job. experiences?

Hello everyone,

Well, to add to my list of problems...I injured my shoulder at work pretty bad from lifting some heavy stuff. I filed for Workman's Compensation, but I'm confused about how all of this is going to work. They are taking me to the doctor tomorrow, so hopefully we will see what I did to it. I'm really hoping I'll still be able to work. I can't afford to not work right now...I don't know what is going to happen. Anyone else had experiences with Workman's Comp.?

Thanks,
Vers

Old 03-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Workman's Comp. Injured on Job. experiences?

Best advice I can give is to get yourself an attorney to deal with all of the paperwork and legal mumbo jumbo that will be coming your way. They work on contingency so you don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Don't talk to the insurance company any more than you have to. It may come back to haunt you later.

I know I sound negative, but know this: WC is NOT set up to help employees. It's set up to protect employers and their insurance companies. Period. Plan on being treated like a criminal from now on. Plan on jumping through stupid hoops just to get basic treatment. Plan on being in pain and waiting for "approvals" and "authorizations" from the insurance company before anything can happen. Plan on talking to your lawyer's office alot.

I waited almost 6 months before I hired an atty. Before then, the company SEEMED really nice and accomodating... but they were just starting their crap. It's a good thing I have an atty because they changed their tune when they hired a jerk lawyer that has a bad reputation for stalling treatment (according to my lawyer). I've been given the run around for a while now, while the company keeps offering to settle. My doctors tell me to not even consider it yet, but I have to keep playing the game to get treatment. sigh.

Good luck with your injury! I hope you get the treatment and meds you need in a timely manner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

well said!!!!

ICC

Old 03-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hi all ----- WC is a very complex system even though it is a "no fault" system. if you're injured and the IC picks your claim up you don't need an attorney unless you really get a run around from them. I have had 5 claims including the one I am out on now. First one I was out of work for 18 months. The claim was accepted , all medical was paid, I received my check every 2 weeks. The 2nd and 3rd I never missed a days work. The 4th I was out for 2 months and same thing. ALl medical paid, I was paid. This time I have 5 permanently injured body parts. I was required to see an employer's Dr. which I did but I got such a run around from day one from emloyer, the IC, the Dr.s office that I hired an attorney 6 days after being injured because I refused to play thier games, put up with the crap and I think after being injured so many times that I knew in my heart some if not all of the injuries were not repairable and were permanent. I was right. They denied my case. Employer admitted that he denied it because he was mad at me the day before. That has to be breaking some sort of employment law. All has gone to court, all depos are done. It is in the hands of the Judge now to make a decision. All cases play out different and all states have different laws. I wish everyone the best who has to deal with this horrible at times corrupt WC system.

ICC

Old 03-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
(female)

aquatilly HB User

Worker's Comp is a red flag to providers. They generally will authorize treatment at first and deny as soon as the claim is filed. I would recommend hiring an attorney or free legal consult or using your own insurance and disregarding the workers comp. depending on the outcome you want.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

The problem with using your own insurance is that they will not pay for any medical bills without a letter of denial from the WC IC. I know this as my personal isurance is paying all of my medical since my claim was denied BUT not before billing the comp carrier and receiving a letter of denial. The only way to use your own insurance is to lie and not admit it is a work related injury. I would not play that game as you are leaving yourself wide open for an Insurance Fraud charge. If you really have doubts please at least have a consult (they are free) with an experienced WC attorney.

ICC

Old 03-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

The only reason I had no problems with WC is because my accident was caused at worked by a cleaning Co that would everyday clean the showroom.WC told me that they were going to sue the co and wanted me to join in the law suit. I did but with my lawyer. I got all my checks every two weeks for two years and they did send me to whatever doctor I wanted to go to but I am sure if it was the co I worked for fault I would have had to fight them tooth and nail.I did dislike the so called person that would in the beginning go to my doc visits with me.She would always question my doctors. I finally told her in a nice way that i was able to go by my self after she had lied to me and refered me to another doctor who before I went found out was the partner to the doctor I did not want to see anymore.She said she didn't know.LOL

Closed Thread