It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
(male)

slkjohn23 HB User
Got the doctor's bill....do I have to pay?

Went in for some bloodwork and when the results came back the doc said everything was fine but that I wasn't vaccinated for hep b. He asks if I want to get vaccinated. I say ok. 3 shots over a few months. Got the first two shots and now a few months later, a bill for $224 dollars.

Obviously this isn't covered by my health insurance (Blue Cross Classic HMO) but I thought the cost of the visit would cover it since nothing was mentioned about the cost. Also, I got a flu shot earlier and it said clearly that it was $25 and the office asked that I pay then and there (same with my copay). But I not a word was mentioned about the price of these shots and the fact that they weren't covered in my plan.

Of course my last shot is scheduled in August which will be another 112 bucks. So if I decide not to proceed, then the $224 is for nothing.

I feel like like a victim of bait and switch. I don't blame my HMO, but do you think they'll pay for it? Or is my issue solely with the doctor's office? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
(female)

PT6 HB User
Re: Got the doctor's bill....do I have to pay?

Just a clarification of the physicians' role in Kaiser. Surprise! Surprise! They are NOT employees of Kaiser (a nonprofit). They actually belong to the Permanente Physicians Group ( I think that I have the name wrong). The physicians group is a for-profit entity that contracts with Kaiser. Check it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
(female)

jsjek HB User
Re: Got the doctor's bill....do I have to pay?

I had a similar situation. I was receiving intra-muscular injections for pain, and found out a month later that they were considered "surgical" by BCBS. I did have to pay the $629 for those shots. You could call your local Health Department and see if they can do the last shot (usually costs $3 for vaccinations, regardless of insurace coverage). Most likely they will if your doctor updated your shot record to reflect the two you already got.

Closed Thread