It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

lola_ny HB User
uninsured in NY because i'm no longer a student

Hello all...

I graduated from college in May and have since been looking for a job with no luck. I assume that my insurance will end in September because I will no longer be a full time student (does anyone know if they will call me or send a letter in the mail or something?) Well, this past week I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the doctor asked me to come back to see her in two weeks. I'm not sure if I'll have insurance in two weeks.

So what are my options?

My mother said she will not pay for me anymore and told me to go get Medicaid on Monday.

Will I have problems getting insurance in the future because I have an illness?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User
Re: uninsured in NY because i'm no longer a student

Better check your policy, your insurance may have ended in May. If you get on a group plan with work, they have to include you. I imagine you would probably be refused for an individual plan, if you have CFS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
(female)

Mora HB User
Wink Re: uninsured in NY because i'm no longer a student

Sorry your is such a rut! Your mom knows the terms of her plan and most likely..she just didn't bother to read it and inform you that your coverage most likely ended the day you graduated in May. I see it happen all the time in my workplace (front office of dental practice). As far as medicaid. You will qualify. With no currant employment and knowing you are not living on the street they will ask for your parents information as they are supporting you and that will mean, you guessed it too much annual income to qualify. There is a HEALTHY NEW YORK state based plan that you can look into but there are premiums to pay. Be careful and aware of how much the doctors visits cost because you are of legal age and not covered on your moms plan you are financially resposible for your dr bills. Good luck...and remember if you find a job soon...you may have a 90 day wait period before you can become active anyway. Good luck

Old 08-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

lola_ny HB User
Re: uninsured in NY because i'm no longer a student

Thanks for the advice. I've been getting a prescription filled all summer and I just went to the doctor with no problem. I assumed the pharmacy would say something, or I would get a bill. That's why I thought I wasn't off the plan yet, but I'll look into both of your suggestions.

Closed Thread