It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

mountain14 HB User
Pre-existing condition?

Can anyone give me advice on this matter? I recently moved to a new city and changed jobs. The day after I finished moving I noticed a lump in my groin so I went to the doctor to get checked out. The doctor said that I might have a hernia and referred me to get an ultrasound. I called the doctor a couple of weeks later and he said that it LOOKS like I have a hernia and advised that I consult with a surgeon to see what my options were. He also said that I could wait months or even years to have surgery. With the current stress of living in a new city and being in a new job i put surgery in the back of my mind for the time being. My previous insurance has since expired and I became insured under a new policy with my new employer. A couple of months went by and my hernia got bigger and began to hurt so I went to another doctor on the new insurance and they said that I indeed have a hernia. I was referred to and consulted with a surgeon this time. I was advised that since I am very physically active it would be a good idea just to go ahead and have the surgery and not wait. So now I want to schedule surgery under the new insurance. I did not disclose to the new insurance company that I might have a hernia because I assumed that a pre-existing condition means that you had been treated for it. I was simply advised by my first doctor's visit that I probably have a hernia and should see a surgeon at my leisure. I am starting to regret making this decision. I work for a law firm with very good group insurance but I have heard the horror stories about insurance and pre-existing conditions and am starting to get worried. Can anyone give me any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

bootleg4now HB User
Re: Pre-existing condition?

You may be lucky. Some employer group policies do not have pre-existing requirements or wait periods. Check your insurance policy, their web site, or call your HR department. You may not have to be specific, just call with general questions.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread