It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
(male)

bear30 HB User
Ssd And Financial Aid/going To School

hello i am 30, and recieve socal security disability for almost 3 years now and i have decided that i want to go to college and try to find some kind of career that i can do. i am disabled due to bipolar disorder and chronic pain syndrome. does being on ssd automatically disqualify me for applying for financial aid, would i lose my benefits if i applied, lose my medicare? is it even possible? i do not get SSI. Thanks for your time.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deltaelise HB User
Re: Ssd And Financial Aid/going To School

As far as I know, if you are able to work, you lose any benefits paid to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to deltaelise For This Useful Post:
NElady (01-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

It is my understanding that collecting social security does not disqualify you from continuing your education and I would suggest you set up a meeting at the financial aid office of the school you would like to attend. They are expert in handling this and will give you the right answer.

The following user gives a hug of support to antiquemother2:
keli449 (01-05-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to antiquemother2 For This Useful Post:
keli449 (01-05-2012)
Old 12-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deltaelise HB User

Yes but disability is given to those who are disabled and unable to work. Sure one could continue their education, but the minute you are able to sustain employment, I am almost positive your benefits would stop. I think it wise to call your local SSA office and ask before you do anything and get your hopes of getting a career and working from now on if you are disabled. It takes years for people to get their disability in most cases too. If you got it when you were so young, I think that was lucky as I am old and crippled and still waiting for mine.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
(male)

bear30 HB User

I applied for SSD when i was 27 and was approved two months later. I work one day a week at a diner. I was wondering if I would still get my check while i go to school until i start working, or if being on ssd disqualifies me from recieveing any financial aid.

thanks for your time

Old 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

Sophia85 HB User

I am a full time student who receives SSDI and federal financial aid (pell grant, stafford loans, perkins loans). As far as I know I can keep receiving my SSDI while I am a student but if I were to start working they would take it away. Also I can not do work study because that counts as working.

In terms of going back to school you may want to contact your local Vocational Rehab office as they help to pay for people with disabilities to go back to school.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sophia85 For This Useful Post:
crazedredhead (09-07-2011)
Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

You can find direct answers to your question right from their own website. No one is penalized for going to school and students are actually allowed to keep a certain dollar amount of their earnings without losing their benefits. Check with social security or the website on this but I checked into it for my son if he ever wants to go back to school.

The Following User Says Thank You to antiquemother2 For This Useful Post:
crazedredhead (09-07-2011)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
(female)

keli449 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia85 View Post
I am a full time student who receives SSDI and federal financial aid (pell grant, stafford loans, perkins loans). As far as I know I can keep receiving my SSDI while I am a student but if I were to start working they would take it away. Also I can not do work study because that counts as working.

In terms of going back to school you may want to contact your local Vocational Rehab office as they help to pay for people with disabilities to go back to school.
hi iam moving back to nevada as ca is too expensive i want to attend college for my rn, i have crps and nerve damage, very depressed as i havent worked for 5 years going to have a spinal cord stim implant, what should i do call soc sec and see if i can attend school? get the pass plan? if i go for financial aid this will go through fed program and im scared they will take my benefits away, any ideas on what i should try first? ty

Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Is your goal to ultimately get off SSDI/SSI once you have completed school and find employment?

I have met others who simply want to go to school but not have their benefits touched. There are many reasons people want to go back to school and sometimes, the goal isn't to graduate and find a good paying job.

I met a girl in another forum some years ago on disability who was simply bored and wanted to attend school as a way to socialize with others.

My personal opinion is if your goal is to get off disability once school is completed and you find a job, the SSA should support you 100% because that is one less person they have to pay a lifetime of benefits to.

If OTOH one wants to go back to school and the goal is to remain on disability even after school completion, this person IMO is not truly totally disabled. Many people have mixed views about school. Some say if you are able to attend school fulltime, then you are able to attend a fulltime job and should not really be on disability. I hear some ppl argue that these ppl are simply looking for the SSA to fund their education so they don't have to work and go to school at the same time.

I went to college many years ago, commuted, stayed home with my parents and not on campus, and also worked a fulltime job to pay for my tuition for 3 years even though I did not graduate and eventually ended up in the military.

Working and going to school simultaneously is hard but it can be done plus I did not have to pay back any student loans because I funded my own education entirely.

These are just my personal thoughts on going back to school and being on disability. They are neither right nor wrong...just my personal opinions. I do think SS is going to think some of the same things I wrote for anyone inquiring about going back to school but afraid they will lose disability benefits if they do.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 01-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Is your goal to ultimately get off SSDI/SSI once you have completed school and find employment?

I have met others who simply want to go to school but not have their benefits touched. There are many reasons people want to go back to school and sometimes, the goal isn't to graduate and find a good paying job.

I met a girl in another forum some years ago on disability who was simply bored and wanted to attend school as a way to socialize with others.

My personal opinion is if your goal is to get off disability once school is completed and you find a job, the SSA should support you 100% because that is one less person they have to pay a lifetime of benefits to.

If OTOH one wants to go back to school and the goal is to remain on disability even after school completion, this person IMO is not truly totally disabled. Many people have mixed views about school. Some say if you are able to attend school fulltime, then you are able to attend a fulltime job and should not really be on disability. I have some ppl argue that these ppl are simply looking for the SSA to fund their education so they don't have to work and go to school at the same time.

I went to college many years ago, commuted, stayed home with my parents and not on campus, and also worked a fulltime job to pay for my tuition for 3 years even though I did not graduate and eventually ended up in the military.

Working and going to school simultaneously is hard but it can be done plus I did not have to pay back any student loans because I funded my own education entirely.

These are just my personal thoughts on going back to school and being on disability. They are neither right nor wrong...just my personal opinions. I do think SS is going to think some of the same things I wrote for anyone inquiring about going back to school but afraid they will lose disability benefits if they do.
If you go to school and stay on ssdi or ssi and you get loans you still have to pay it back.Remember student loans are no dischargeable when you are on ssdi or ssi just like taxes and childsupport.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Before going to any college and on SSDI/SSI I would check into all this because SS may think a person who can attend college is not too disabled to do so, I think it depends on the persons impairments , such as if the person was awarded disability for social anxiety and panic attacks everytime they are around people, but can go to school , that would be a "red flag" As long as the disability does not interfer with getting a education, it should be fine and encouraged, but make sure beforehand.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
keli449 (01-05-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
Before going to any college and on SSDI/SSI I would check into all this because SS may think a person who can attend college is not too disabled to do so, I think it depends on the persons impairments , such as if the person was awarded disability for social anxiety and panic attacks everytime they are around people, but can go to school , that would be a "red flag" As long as the disability does not interfer with getting a education, it should be fine and encouraged, but make sure beforehand.
So true some people don't think and that is what gets them into trouble.

The following user gives a hug of support to vann04:
keli449 (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
(female)

keli449 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post

If OTOH one wants to go back to school and the goal is to remain on disability even after school completion, this person IMO is not truly totally disabled. Many people have mixed views about school. Some say if you are able to attend school fulltime, then you are able to attend a fulltime job and should not really be on disability. I hear some ppl argue that these ppl are simply looking for the SSA to fund their education so they don't have to work and go to school at the same time.

ty my goal is to work been in med field 20 years i want to work i also went to school ft and worked ft single mom at 16 took 6 buses roundtrip and i did it! i can work but school is an accelerated program and not sure if job will go around my sched unless i tell them i will work for their hosp if they do, no i want to work so do u think ssdi will take me off should i just get a job and ask them? it will be impossible to work ft as clinical is when and where they send u and on their time. thanks for help

Old 01-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
(female)

keli449 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
crps and anxiety surg comming up and i will do it even with pain should i just ask ss office? iid in oregon ex went in and asked and they said it was fine, but well we broke up 20 days ago....i get anxiety if its extremly crowded and pts car accident nerve damage also but im a fighter. should i just go ask? its in reno nv

Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Yes, you can either go to the nearset social security office or call the 1-800 number, but if you call you might not get the same answer each time. Best wishes to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
keli449 (01-06-2012)
Closed Thread