It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

moetwins HB User
Can you get insurance if you're not working?

This might be a dumb question but is there any way to get health insurance if you are not working? I am 24 now and when I turn 25 I will be off of my parents insurance. I have not worked since 2004 because of health problems and I want to try and apply for SSI but I know that is a process that takes many years. I have heard some people on here talk about medicaid does anyone know what that is? Thanks so much for your help!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
Re: Can you get insurance if you're not working?

The first thing you need to do is apply for SSI. It is a long process and you have to keep up with things and keep copies of everything but it just depends on the situation as to how long it takes. It took me less than a year to apply and get accepted and started on SSI. Medicaid is an insurance for people with disabilities but since you are over 21 you will have to get SSI in order to qualify for medicaid unless you have a child/children or are pregnant.

In order to help you get SSI be sure to talk to anyone that is treating you for your medical issues and after you actually turn in the application see if they will send letters to social security and you (make sure you get a copy and one is sent to them also). This will help speed up the process and Social security tends to deny that they recieved things which is why you always want a copy. When possible you keep the original and make them take the copy.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful. Good luck with everything and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I answer the best I can. I am on SSI and have applied for Medicaid and am supposed to hear within the next week.
cardshark

Last edited by moderator2; 06-20-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If you have a little money, you can get insurance through Healthy NY program.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
(female)

moetwins HB User

Thanks so much to both of you that helped a lot!

janewhite1
, I have heard of healthy NY and it sounded really good but when I checked their web site it said this...
"The goal of the Healthy NY program is to promote and provide affordable insurance coverage to eligible small businesses that are not currently offering health insurance coverage to their employees. Healthy NY is also available to eligible uninsured working individuals and sole proprietors."
So does this mean that I would have to be working to qualify?

cardshark
, I'm glad to hear that you got on SSI! You got on it so fast everyone has been telling me how long of a process it is. I was hoping to get on SSI but since I'm only 24 I don't think that I would be able to. I posted on the disabilities message board asking if people though that I would ever be accepted, here is my post...
"Hi everybody, my name is Kelly and I am 24 years old. I don't know much about disabilities benefits but I would like to try and apply for SSI. I have not worked since 2004 and when I did work it was just a part time job at a bakery but I couldn't even handle that. Since then I have been attending a community college part time. I feel like I will never be able to work again because I have so much pain physically and mentally. I had surgery in 1999 to correct scoliosis and then I developed fibormyalgia, which consists of major fatigue, back, neck, arm, feet and leg pain and also TMJ. I also suffer from depression, generalized anxiety, social anxiety and migraines. The one thing that I do know about disability benefits is that they are very hard to receive but do you think that with my situation I would ever be able to win my case? If anyone has any other info on SSI benefits that would be very helpful. Thanks so much for your time"
Do you think that I would ever be able to get on SSI?

Thanks so much again to both of you for your help!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I just checked, for Healthy NY, you have to have worked at least part time within the last 12 months. I think Family Health Plus may be open to you, however. And, if you go to a Planned Parenthood in NY state, it's easy to get reproductive health care including birth control and regular exams with pap smears for free.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
(female)

moetwins HB User

Thanks for looking that up . I will check into Family Health Plus and thanks for the info on planned parenthood. You have helped me a lot.

Closed Thread