It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
(female)

papergoods HB User
hospital pre-birth down payments

This has been a rough year in everyones industry. Im due in a month ...got the pre-birth downpayment sked for the hospital. Mine is large even with good insurance. I dont know what to do or what other people are doing in these economic times. if I pay it I can barley afford a car seat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User
Re: hospital pre-birth down payments

Is this common?? I've never heard of having to give the hospital a down payment...I just assumed everything would be covered by my insurance. I'm also due in about a month & nothing at all has been said to me about this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

indiana333 HB User

I've never heard of that around here! Actually I'm supposed to be paying a 20$ co-pay for each OB visit and they haven't been asking for it. I think they bill for the entire pregnancy and delivery all at once. After the fact that is.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
(female)

lamby248 HB User

I've never heard of making down payments to the hospital unless there is no insurance.

With my insurance, I have a deductible to meet, then it is paid at 90% and I owe 10%.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
(female)

Green Frog HB User

My hospital does not require this, however, the doctor's office that will be performing my c-section requires that I pay a third of the cost of the surgery beforehand (based on my deductible) which is a huge chunk. I know what you mean about having to cough up that kind of money. I don't have any advice...but wanted to let you know that you are not the only one thinking about how to make all of this work in these hard economic times.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

We should all be familiar with our own insurance policies and in particular how pregnancy and delivery is handled. I have found that the hospital's finance office is usually very helpful in estimating costs based on my insurance, regardless of the type of surgery or procedure. They have elaborate lists detailing typical costs.

With my last pregnancy I was able to figure out in advance how much my c-section co-insurance would be, as well as the typical costs for my newborn (don't forget about those -- since he/she is a different patient at that point, the baby gets his/her own bill). This was I was able to guesstimate how much to add to our flexible spending account to cover these costs, especially since she was born in November and we had a "family status change" and could legitimately change our FSA numbers.

My previous doctor, as well as my current one, charge a "global maternity fee" that covers a set amount of u/s, blood work, and visits. They submit the charge to the insurance company around the 7th or 8th month of pregnancy and then set me up to make payments on it starting then, too. This time around, I'm due in Feb. so I had asked early on when I would owe money. But the clerk told me it was only after the baby was born. Well, at my last vist (20 weeks) I was asked to start paying! I told her I'd be happy to pay in January, but since we'd already spent our FSA for this year, I'd really rather wait. Plus, I'm due at the end of Feb, so that's a good two months of time to see my smiling face in their office to hound me for money.

And remember, ladies, it's always more expensive if you have a c-section... so ask about those prices, too. Oh, and since you're probably paying a percentage of the total price that is then knocked down by some other previously-agreed-upon percentage, I always ask for a detailed bill to ensure that it's accurate. My daughter's latest eye surgery had some funny stuff on it, so I asked for it to be audited, and it dropped by $2000!

There is an insurance board here on Healthboards.com, so that's probably a better place to have this conversation, since this isn't technically medical related.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
(female)

precious21 HB User

Curious to know if I can have replies out there? Roughly how much does a vag delivery cost and a c-section cost too.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I called my hospital and asked how much so I could figure out how much to put into my flexible spending account for this year. No one could tell me! I was very perturbed. They did tell me that if I was a cash customer (no insurance) that a c-section would be $6000 if paid by the 7th month of pregnancy.

Florida just passed a law where hospitals have to be able to tell patients how much procedures will cost... thank goodness!

So, contact your medical facility and ask them directly. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did!

Closed Thread