It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
(male)

jerinseattle HB User
Canadian Heath Coverage in US

I am a engaged to a woman born with vacterl, and in need of frequent care. She lives in Vancouver and I am in Seattle. She is afraid of losing her provincial care if she moves here with me. I do not think she will lose it, and I actually think she'll be better off with my health care stacked on top of her provincial care.

Has anyone out there dealt with keeping Canadian care at home when moving to the states? We love each other very much, but the fears and uncertainties are tearing us apart, and I need to hear from people who have made it work.

Thank you.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Canadian Heath Coverage in US

The best thing she can do is contact the health insurance administration in Canada and seek out information on when coverage ends, etc. If you were to marry this person, and you can immediately add her to your coverage and you have good coverage, then she wouldn't loose anything (though there may be higher prices for medical care in the US vs in Canada).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

catlover82 HB User
Re: Canadian Heath Coverage in US

You have to actually establish residency in Canada to qualify for health care benefits under the government plan. Once your fiance moves away, after a given time period her coverage will expire unless she keeps an address in Canada (which, if she's not living there, is fraud, I believe). She might be able to keep using her provincial health care card, but once it expires and she needs to apply for a new one, she won't be able to get one if her permanent address is not in that province.

Just because you're Canadian doesn't mean you're entitled to Canadian health care benefits if you don't live in the country. And you don't have to be canadian to receive benefits: after a certain amount of time living in Canada, even Americans can apply for a provincial health card and be covered under the provincial plan. It's all about who's actually living here and paying taxes. If you're not living here and not paying into the pot, you're not entitled to benefits.

Anyway, your fiance can check this out with the BC government, but I'm pretty sure if she moves out of Canada (or even out of BC) she'll lose her provincial coverage. If she moved to another province then she'd be covered by that province. If she moves to the US then there's no province to cover her. It's about residency not citizenship.

Sorry it's not the answer you were looking for...

Last edited by catlover82; 02-17-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Closed Thread