It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

regina riddle HB User
how do i get metlife to pay my short term disability

how do i get metlife to pay my short term disability

Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: how do i get metlife to pay my short term disability

Short Term Disability (STD) is based on the person's inability to do their job due to physical or mental disability (or a combination thereof).

Many factors come into play as Met sells thousands of different STD policies, depending on what the purchaser (the employer) seeks to buy

(1) There is a benefit waiting period before benefits begin. Sometimes as few as 0-3 days during which you must be disabled or up to 30 days. You must remain fully disabled during this time.

(2) The treating physicians will have to provide objective medical information to support that you are unable to do your job. Not just a diagnosis and return to work date but solid evidence. So this differs for someone who is a truck driver and can't drive with a broken ankle vs. a sedentary job where perhaps someone can do their job while recovering.

(3) Every insurance company uses medical duration guidelines to judge how long they estimate you will need to be on STD. For example, again using a broken ankle as an example, the guideline may show that for a Heavy job the expected duration is 60-90 days for a closed fracture (I'm just guessing here - it's been a while since I worked on claims myself) and maybe 120 days for an open reduced fracture. But for a sedentary job like a receptionist the duration may be more like 15-20 days for a closed fracture and 20-45 days for an open reduced fracture. ** All of these are estimates, and if a physician can provide proof that it must go beyond this period, benefits can often be extended, but solid proof must be provided (i.e. infection, additional surgery needed, etc)

Be sure to get a copy of the exact STD policy under which you are covered and look for the
(1) Benefit Waiting Period (aka Elimination Period)
(2) Benefit amount (usually a % of your pay - commonly 50-60%)
(3) Max duration payable (no matter how disabled coverage may be 3mo or 6 mo)

If you think you will be out an extended time period see if your employer provides Long Term Disability (LTD).

Last edited by SpineAZ; 04-13-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread