It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User
Exclamation Can't qualify for medicaid, what's left?

I lost my insurance when I got divorced. I currently have 3 pre-exsisting conditions, depression, PCOS, and a broken foot. Before I lost my insurance, I started looking into individual plans, I am employed part-time. Every plan that I thought would be good, denied me for either my depression or PCOS or both. I had one company tell me that I qualified only to get the cards and info and be told that my pre-exsistings would not be covered. I asked before I agreed to it, if those would be covered. I don't understand why someone, who has had continuous credible coverage for 7+ years despite pre-exsisting conditions, cannot get individual insurance.
Too add insult to injury, I fell on Halloween and broke my rt foot. My medical bills just for the orthopedic surgeon, no surgery needed yet, are over $2000. I don't even make that much in 2 months! I have been out of work since the injury. I tried to get on medicaid, but my child's income is too much. She gets a little over $350 a month for child support. We are living off of child supprt, and that doesn't even cover all the bills we have. Right now, I don't know when I will be able to return to work. I have severe nerve damage and uncontrolled pain from the break, I am still not able to walk without crutches long distances.
Does anybody know of any places that can help pay medical bills? I am in desperate need of help. I have prescriptions that I am needing to get filled, but don't have the money to get them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: Can't qualify for medicaid, what's left?

Call the hospital and talk to them about your situation. They usually are pretty decent about hard ship cases and write them off when they can. It may be harder now since everyone is tighting up.

You could try a clinic, they usually pro rate your bills according to your income, but at least your daughter and you can get treatment. It is a lot of paper work but worth it when your in the situation your in. Good luck

Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Your state may offer coverage for low income individuals. Individual insurance is solely based on the applicant so they find themselves unable to charge you a premium that would adequately cover your pre-existing coverages. Group (employer based) insurance is different in that they are pooling the risk. Of all those that pay in only a certain % will ever have a claim. Even then there are plans that run at nearly 100% premium in and 100% claim payment out (in dollars equaling out dollars). But an individual with pre-existing conditions is likely to have a 100% probability of using the coverage. And thus they'd likely be paying our more in claims than what they take in via premium you pay so there's no way for them to cover you.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you checked into disability?

Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User

sunshine: I am waiting to find out if I qualify for the hospital's charity program. That will cover the ER visit only, not the ER dr or radiology. My Ortho's office doesn't have a program, they told me that as long as I pay something every month they won't send me to collections. My bill for them is $2533 right now, so I will be paying them for the next few years. And I have not been released, I have at least another 5 weeks of no work. My PCP's office does have income based pay, so that isn't a problem. My daughter is covered by her father and also has medicaid. It is me that can't get coverage.

SpineAZ: The only state insurance is medicaid, and my daughter's child support is too much for me to qualify.

Titchou: Because my conditions do not prevent me from being able to work, I do not qualify for disability. My broken foot is considered a short term disability, and they do not pay benefits for short term. My conditions must be considered long term or have a death sentence. I could argue that my depression could have a death sentence if I don't take my meds or get too down again. I am considered to have high functioning major depression. I am able to force myself to get up and go to work and carry out daily tasks. The complications I am having with my foot, may prevent me from doing what I have done in the past, but with a job that requires less standing, I would have no problem doing. It is very difficult for a person my age (28) to get disability based on my conditions. And by the time they get around to my case, my foot will hopefully be better; which will mean that my depression is better.

If anyone knows of any other options, I will welcome them.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

The next time you are looking for work consider working for an insurance company. They tend to offer health, disability and life insurance. I am so lucky that happened to be the career path I chose.

Arizona has Access which is a low income health plan but not all states offer something similar.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There are lots of organizations which can help with medical bills, prescriptions, etc. You might try calling your local United Way (here it's phone number is usually 211) and they can give you all sorts of contacts.

You might also see if getting your daughter's child support paid to you as trustee for her rather than directly to you wouold get you eligible under Medicaid. An attorney can help you with that.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
There are lots of organizations which can help with medical bills, prescriptions, etc. You might try calling your local United Way (here it's phone number is usually 211) and they can give you all sorts of contacts.

You might also see if getting your daughter's child support paid to you as trustee for her rather than directly to you wouold get you eligible under Medicaid. An attorney can help you with that.
I hadn't thought about the United Way. I will give them a call and see what they can do.

I don't get it directly, it goes to the Family Support Payment Center and then to me. Most, if not all, child support in Missouri goes thru the payment center. They do wage assignments, it makes it easier to track who is making payments and who isn't. Even if I was trustee, it wouldn't matter. They consider any type of money coming in to the household as income. For a family of two, the maxium income is $264/month to qualify for family medical. Add to that, once I start working again,I would lose any benefit I was receiving. Missouri has the most screwed up government assistance system in the nation. They make it to where as soon as you start making a little bit more money you lose everything. If I were to voluntarily reduce my hours or quit, I not only lose my foodstamps, but my daughter would lose her medicaid. If my hours drop below 20 a week, I lose my foodstamps. If I make over $1549 a month, I lose my foodstamps. I can't afford to get ahead, and can't afford to stay where I am. Hiring an attorney is out of the question, since they cost money; and I don't have that. If I did, I wouldn't be in this situation now.
Missouri is the worst place to live and be at or below the poverty line.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

If you end up applying for SS Disability most of the reputable disability law firms tkae the case on contingency. That means you only pay if you win. www.ssa.gov has more information on SSDI and attorney fees.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
(female)

ashanean HB User
Smile Re: Can't qualify for medicaid, what's left?

Does your state have medicaid spend down?? In NYC if you make a certain amount over the limit for medicaid if you have the difference between your money per month and the limit in medicaid in medical bills medicaid will cover the difference in the medical bills. Alot of people do not know this. My grandmother does this. Look into this.

Shanean

Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
(female)

ashanean HB User
Smile Re: Can't qualify for medicaid, what's left?

Have you looked into The Missouri Health Insurance Pool program http://www.mhip.org/

Closed Thread