It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
(female)

txmommy86 HB User
Exclamation In desperate need of surgery but have no insurance or money

I just got released from the emergency room a couple of hours ago. I went in for severe abdomen pain to my lower left side. It has been hurting for the last four days and is getting worse everyday. It feels like someone is squeezing the tar out of me with no release and sometimes it even feels like I am being stabbed in that area. I am a single mom of a 17month old girl. Back in 2005 I was diagnosed with a cyst on my left ovary. So after ruling out kidney infection, UTI, and bladder infection, I was afraid that maybe the cyst ruptured. So I finally decided to go in today to get checked out, even though I dont have insurance. They drew labs, did a pelvic exam (which was painful) and did an external and internal ultrasound. Turns out I was right, the cyst has ruptured and not only do I have free floating fluid in my system but to add insult to injury I have 4 more cyst to the same ovary. On top of all that it also showed that I have an early tubal pregnancy. When I heard that I flipped out and knew for sure that I was staying and probably having surgery. The doctor gave me a pain pill (Lortab), a strong antibiotic by mouth and a dose of the strongest iv antibiotic (Rocefin). He then came in to talk with me and inform me of the severity of my condition. He asked me if I had insurance or if I could pay anything today. My answer was no to both: I dont have insurance and I am flat a** broke. Then he surprisingly said he had no choice but to send me home then. He prescribed me antibiotics and 500mg Lortab. He said that I maybe able to miscarry on my own and that if I dont start bleeding or bleed too heavy within the next ten days to return. Told me to rest until I feel better and to not lift anything over 5 lbs which is hard with my daughter. He told me I need to hurry and get some insurance so I can receive care from a gynocologist. Sent copies of all my test results with me to give to a doctor. Told me I could even go to a clinic but the only way Im going to recover is to have a hysterectomy. I am standing on a dangerous borderline right now with the cyst infection and especially the tubal pregnancy. I am nervous being at home but bc im broke with no insurance this is where I am. He would have kept me and operated if I had insurance or money. I am scared and nervous and not real sure what to do. As of right now I cant even afford the prescriptions he gave me. And theres the whole pre-existing condition dilemma. Before they allowed me to leave the hospital a registrar told me I owed $2000 and told me that if I dont make a payment before the next time I come in they cannot treat me until I make payment. I am a nursing student and have plans to go on to med school. I have goals in life and my daughter is counting on me to be there for her. I am a fighter, but do not know how to fight with my lack of tools. Please does anybody have any advice as to how I should go about all of this. I could try medicaid but usually its only for kids and pregnant women. I need this surgery before things get dangerously worse. Also my work seems to not be understanding of any of this and I am afraid of losing my job. Is it legal for them to fire me because of medical reasons? Any advice, suggestions, and/or prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
(female)

ashanean HB User
Smile Re: In desperate need of surgery but have no insurance or money

Since you are in Texas check this site out. http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/health/index.html

Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: In desperate need of surgery but have no insurance or money

There is no way to "hurry up and get insurance". If you already have the symptoms, and have no recent insurance, any condition you have already been treated for would be considered pre-existing and would not be covered. The best bet is to find a public hospital (such as a county hospital or one that is known for treating the uninsured and poor) and seek immediate treatment. If you go in via the emergency room to a public hospital they will have to do surgery if you are in dire need of surgery.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

mamadosunshine HB User
Re: In desperate need of surgery but have no insurance or money

I don't know what state you live in, but check with the Medicaid office in your state. It is not just for pregnant women and kids in most states. Call a Medicaid office and tell them your problem and concerns. They should be able to tell you if you would qualify for Medicaid. The Medicaid office may be able to tell you what you can do. I would also consult a attorney that deals with malpractice law suits. I have never heard of a doctor or hospital being so cruel.

Closed Thread