It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

Chrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB User
If you meet SSDI Listing

I have a question for all you veterns out there. A friend of mine told me today if you meet a "listing" of ssdi that you automatically get ssdi. I do not think this is true...but reallly dont know. I thought you had to prove it for a year too?? Am I wrong? He said if you meet a listing and you have a doctor or doctors that are willing to write it out that you HAVE to get it. The listing thing is so hard to understand even when reading it. Just wondering if anyone knew the answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy5626 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-13-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Re: If you meet SSDI Listing

The problem is a treating doctor's opinion of whether you meet a listing may be different from what SS thinks. i've seen so many people who say they've gotten the X-rays or whatever to meet a listing but still get denied. It may be that your Dr thinks you meet a listing, but SS doesn't think the condition is severe enough to prevent you from working. The process is so mysterious, maybe someone knows more

Last edited by sunni123; 05-12-2011 at 08:23 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
(female)

LMT33167 HB UserLMT33167 HB User

I don't think so, my dr agrees and wrote me a letter, signed my RFC forms and said the same thing in the form she sent back to the SSA and I was denied.

Last edited by LMT33167; 05-16-2011 at 03:59 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to LMT33167 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
(female)

Chrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB UserChrissy5626 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT33167 View Post
I don't think so, I met 6 listed blue book items to the tee and they are disabling where I can't drive, work, clean house, shop or do anything....my dr agrees and wrote me a letter, signed my RFC forms and said the same thing in the form she sent back to the SSA and I was denied.
I guess you never know with them. What is/was your 6 listings if you dont mind? If you dont want to answer, dont worry, I am just wondering.

The following user gives a hug of support to Chrissy5626:
jgrangran (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Sorry, but I don't think it is true either. I also met the listings, and had the MRIs and X-rays to prove it, but I will still denied 5 times over 2 1/2 years before I was finally approved.

The following user gives a hug of support to gayle428:
jgrangran (05-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to gayle428 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User

I don't think there is a exact rule that makes anyone for sure get it. Some get it right away but it looks like most get denied a few times before they are approved, even if everything is done perfectly. You just never know with them.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

OK, I give up! What is a listing???? Thanks! BB

Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

IIRC a listing is the description of symptoms listed in the SS Blue Book, which is required in order to be found disabled. It is Step 3 of the disability determination process. If you meet a listing (your symptoms match the description severe enough in the Blue Book), you will be found disabled and not have to proceed to Step 4 or Step 5 of the process. Step 4 determines whether you can do past relevant work; step 5, any other work.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There is no exact rule except in presumptive disability diagnoses where approval is relatively automatic

http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/

I would meet the spine listing but just because I have it doesn't mean, in SS's eyes, that I'm unable to work. So step one is if the person meets fully or partially a listing but then is there sufficient proof in SS's perspective that the person can't do any job of any type.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

This is Correct . Not only does a person need to meet the definition of disability regarding Social Security Rules , the disability needs to be severe enough and long lasting, at least 12 months or will result in death. After completing all the papers and forms that social security gives you, your claim goes back to your local social security office and is looked over. If it is found that you are not disabled , or meet their rules of disability, then you will recieve a deniel letter fairly quickly. However, if your claim does meet the definition of Social Security disability, then your claim goes to Disability Determination Services , commonly referred to DDS. DDS is not at the local Social Security office.
DDS looks over your claim with a fine tooth comb, and waits for your DR's reports to come in , either supporting your claim , and is severe enough to continue. I know that their is now a way for DR's to fill out S.S. forms on the computor which speeds up the process . Social Security has their own DR's , so even though your DR's say your disabled does not mean their is a automatic approval. If you do not have enough information for social security to make a desision then they will send you to one of their DR's . Commonly known as a CE. These Dr's work directly through social security. They can either support your claim or say your disability is not severe enough to be awarded benifits. Then a deniel letter will be sent out.
Social Security looks at past work history too, and sees if the applicant can work at any other job even if it is at a shoe factory.
If a person is applying for SSI , work history is not important because SSI is not based on work history , it is based on being diasabled and very low income. But, sometimes a person can get both SSDI if it is low enough and SSI.
For children, they can get on SSI the same way as adults , but the same rules apply. Often times a child will be found disabled rather quickly if their condition is obvious , such as a child with a genetic condition , cancer, Autism , blood disorder, heart problem , ect. In children with severe disability, they can often be on ssi for the rest of their lives, BUt , the parent or parents income is looked at and if they make too much , the child is not going to be approved. When the child turns 18, then can be on his or her own social security , SSI , and be approved. Because they are not on a parents record anymore.
But, their are a lot of single parents with disabled children that do not go over SSI money requirements , and are approved that way.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2011 at 11:11 AM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (05-13-2011), jgrangran (05-14-2011), sunni123 (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
(male)

flaco9 HB Userflaco9 HB User

...from what i've heard it takes about 2years to see the judge in most cases..i really don't think they go by those rules...about a month ago i got a letter from the lawyer i went to see,saying they are going to represent me,and they aren't going to take a case without winning it,because they want to get paid....so,hopefully i'll see judge in sept/oct...i've been waiting about 15months so far...thank god i'm almost there.....

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: flaco9
gayle428 (05-14-2011), jgrangran (05-13-2011), sunni123 (05-13-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco9 View Post
...from what i've heard it takes about 2years to see the judge in most cases..i really don't think they go by those rules...about a month ago i got a letter from the lawyer i went to see,saying they are going to represent me,and they aren't going to take a case without winning it,because they want to get paid....so,hopefully i'll see judge in sept/oct...i've been waiting about 15months so far...thank god i'm almost there.....
it is good that you have a Lawyer , and are close to seeing a Judge . I know someone who has applied for social security 5 times! He refuses to seek legal help, because he ways or thinks he can win on his own, despite trying for 5 years. He is a younh man , in his late 20's. Has not worked enough so he is and has been fighting on his own for years. I think if he did have a Lawyer it would go a lot better for him. He says he has an appointment date to see the judge.
I found out that my brothers friends, mother was finally approved after fighting social security for years as well. I am not certain if she had representation or not.
Even my sister N law has tried to get on social security and has been denied multiple times, even took it to the Judge's level, had a Lawyer too. Butm the Lawyer asked her very personal questions that had nothing to do with her claim. Questions like , are you happy in your marriage? Stuff like that. I have no idea why the judge would ask questions like that , having nothing to do with he disabilites.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User

It sounds like the lawyer might be interested in her on a personal level to be asking how happy she is in her marriage, unless maybe she is filing with a mental problem where she is having marital problems due to her disabilities.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #14
(female)

LMT33167 HB UserLMT33167 HB User

just curious, can you own a vehicle and get SSI? not sure where to put this but someone else talked about SSI...also does it help your case if your marriage is suffering problems because of mental/physical problems that started after your disability. I read somewhere when the husband gets sick, 90% or something marriages lasted but when the wife got sick (chronically) only 40% or sommething marriages lasted..have a good husband but being sick is really wearing on his nerves since he works FT and then takes care of the hosue & me after...I have no family since my dad died last year other than my step mother & sister but that's been estranged for years.

The following user gives a hug of support to LMT33167:
jgrangran (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I think that holds true I have seen it happen sadly with children with disabilities the marriage suffers eighter because of differences of approaches to the disabiliy are the hardship of having someone being disabled I'm sure that it happens my hat goes out to all the parents that have a child with a disability and really a single paerent with a child with a disability and to all the spouses that stick with there mate be it a female or male It is hard to live with a disability and really be happy so I'm sure it puts a strain on a marriage I don't know what exactily the person that has the disability is feeling but for me I feel betrayed by my body and the other spouse who knows what they feel like. Its just compicated the whole thing when you start out healthy and end up like that but there are so many people this happens to and really having ssi or ssdi is like a God send it doesn't change the fact you still have the disability. In my case my husband feels so bad the always thouhgt he would take care of me. But we are really taking care of each other. He is far worse than me. If I was you I would be honsest and have a Heart to heart talk to your spouse and ask him how he really feels. It a strange thing everyone has their on reality about how things affect them maybe life experinces is how a person handles it I don't know. But in my case we are both disabled. But I can see where you wonder how it effects your partner. It is alway good to talk about it. God Luck to you I hope this helps it just may confuse you more. LOL

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jgrangran
LMT33167 (05-15-2011), sunni123 (05-15-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
LMT33167 (05-15-2011), sunni123 (05-15-2011)
Closed Thread