It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

MisM HB User
Question State of Insurance Post Psychiatric Hospital Visit

I am a 21 year old college student within the United States (Arizona) who is suffering from, what I would consider to be, undiagnosed depression. I have seen counselors in the past for other reasons regarding anxiety and depression and have never found them helpful. I seek the help of professionals who will take my pain seriously as well as a structured schedule where I feel less prone to external factors that may cause mood swings. Thus, I have begun research on psychiatric hospitals.

A loved one warned me that if I enter a psychiatric hospital, the US government will, like his sister, swipe me of many health insurance benefits. At the ripe age of 21, I find this concerning not only for myself but for individuals like myself within my country.

I understand this must vary depending on an individual's insurance company, but does anyone have any experience with this?
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and would be checking myself in.

Continuation of my Situation:

Due to a recent struggle I am facing caused by a certain "nightmare of my past" returning to my life (by dating one of my best friends), I am experiencing emotional distraught and confusion more so than I ever thought possible. I have always prided myself in my ability to reason my thoughts and understand the difference between them and my emotions. My current situation has caused me so much pain and frustration that I no longer support my own emotions and barely know what emotions are justifiably.

Unfortunately, over the past couple months my issue has snowballed and created issues between my boyfriend, our best friends, and my precious relationships with all of them. I see no resolution, but I wish to become open-minded to the idea of finding one.

In the past, I have found counselors to not only be unhelpful, but also irritating. I never feel I am being taken seriously and I find it very difficult to trust them. If a psychiatric hospital is not a good option for me, are there any tips you guys can give to help me benefit from seeing a counselor or therapist?

Thank you and all who read my thread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: State of Insurance Post Psychiatric Hospital Visit

If your insurance covers mental health care benefits then you can use them. But often you must be referred for inpatient treatment. If you don't have insurance you'd have to speak to a psychiatrist to see what treatment options there are under you state's medicaid program if you are eligible for it.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: State of Insurance Post Psychiatric Hospital Visit

If you have insurance through Blue Cross then you should consult your Summary Plan Description to see what mental health care options you have. Often you can not be hospitalized unless in an emergency or referred for such by your doctor. The government plays no part in your policy provisions.

Closed Thread