It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

kristin79 HB User
SSDI Review

My husband has been on SSDI for over 6 years now. 6 months ago he got his first review notice, than we got the long form. We sent that in within the 2 weeks and didn't hear anything until a few days ago. He was now sent a evaluation form MSC 128 it is pretty much asking the same questions as the long form. Has anyone ever got this? My husband had tumors in the liver (half the liver was removed) and brain. The two brain surgeries has caused motor/muscle loose in all of his left side. He has to do everything with his right side which causes fatigue over all. Once he holds something in the left hand he has to use his right had to open his left hand or it wont let go. He is not able to lift anything with his left arm and walks with a limp since he has limited ankel movement. The one thing that worries me is that he is young, 32but he has only worked manul labor type jobs. This review process is very stressful!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: kristin79
coupe (10-27-2011), dfwlady (10-28-2011), ferd144 (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: SSDI Review

Hi there , and welcome to healthBoards. I am really surprised it took six months to hear back . Then anther form was sent. That second one sounds like a short form. I would go ahead and fill out everything and send it back to social security. I am not sure as to why your husband recieved both forms within a 6th month time frame , but I do know it is important to send them back. Chances are good your husband will continue benefits.

Last edited by mscat40; 10-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
(female)

kristin79 HB User

Hi Cat- thanks for getting back so fast, your amazing! I never thought it might be the short form. I will look at again when I get home but it was about 10 questions to answer yes and no than explain your answer. The questions were how much can you lift, walk, chores you do around the house and os on. And also asked could you do these before and can you do them now. One strange question was "do you work on cars" kind of thought that one was out of the blue. It is so stressful he really doesnt need this, no one does for that matter. But what are you going to do. Im going to call them to make sure I can fill this form out for him it doesnt state on this one like thelong form that someone can help you and you have to sign off that you helped them.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

hi kristin79, I'm very sorry to read of your husband's problems. I usually frequent the stroke forum here at health boards, but also check in here often. his problems are very similar to a stroke other than the liver thing. I had a massive stroke almost 19 years ago on November 2nd. 1992. have been left with impairments very similar to his, total left side paralysis. it took me till May 1995 to be approved for SSDI. since that time I've received one (1) short form review. as long as he is seeing his doctors regularly and taking his meds as prescribed? he should be fine as far as any review goes, I don't think he has anything to worry about in his benefits?

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Working on cars, eh ? I guess thry asked that question to see if he could do something so physically demanding like that. I have not recieved a CDR yet. However, heard their are 2 different forms. Your husband definately qualifies for benefits. i have not heard of many people getting discontinued benefits. How many years has he been on SSDI? For me it has been over 4 .

Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I don't have any personal experience with CDR's Kristin. I was just recently approved in August and given a 3 year CDR. I do have a question for you. You said your husband has been on SSDI for 6 years and he is currently age 32. So, when he was approved at age 26, did they say in the approval letter when he was going to be reviewed? Usually, the longer the CDR timespan interval, the more likely you are to receive the short form CDR (SSA-455-OCR-SM).

Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

kristin79 HB User

Hi Larry
Correct he is very much like a stroke patient. The only difference is in the brain surgeries they cut though the nerves and that's what caused the lack of motion and motor skills. He had all his cancer treatments at NIH in Maryland but has Kaiser in CA. Do to the fact that he as addiction tendencies they don't recommends any prescription drugs and he manages anything with over the counter. He fly's back to NIH once a year now, paid for by them, and does blood work , CT and MRI scans. He was in a clinical study. Everything else is done through Kaiser and they said more than 5 years ago he reached his MMI. Thank you for you thoughts. I just find it strange they sent another form asking the same questions.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
(female)

kristin79 HB User

The that question kinda threw me off but all i Can think is that because he workd at an auto place 10 years ago they r seeing if he can still do that. But being that he cant use his left hand I dont see why they would ask that. I would think they would have his medical records and would see that

Last edited by kristin79; 10-27-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
(female)

kristin79 HB User

Hi Blue I dont recall on the letter what it said we had so much going on than it didnt even cross our minds. He was on state dis for a year than went on SSDI and the approval only took a few months.

The following user gives a hug of support to kristin79:
dfwlady (10-28-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin79 View Post
Hi Cat- thanks for getting back so fast, your amazing! I never thought it might be the short form. I will look at again when I get home but it was about 10 questions to answer yes and no than explain your answer. The questions were how much can you lift, walk, chores you do around the house and os on. And also asked could you do these before and can you do them now. One strange question was "do you work on cars" kind of thought that one was out of the blue. It is so stressful he really doesnt need this, no one does for that matter. But what are you going to do. Im going to call them to make sure I can fill this form out for him it doesnt state on this one like thelong form that someone can help you and you have to sign off that you helped them.
Sounds like the second form sent was like a mini ADL/RFC. Have you completed and returned the form to SSA? If not, how long did they give you to have it completed and returned?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
hi kristin79, I'm very sorry to read of your husband's problems. I usually frequent the stroke forum here at health boards, but also check in here often. his problems are very similar to a stroke other than the liver thing. I had a massive stroke almost 19 years ago on November 2nd. 1992. have been left with impairments very similar to his, total left side paralysis. it took me till May 1995 to be approved for SSDI. since that time I've received one (1) short form review. as long as he is seeing his doctors regularly and taking his meds as prescribed? he should be fine as far as any review goes, I don't think he has anything to worry about in his benefits?

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe
Thats without a doubt the BIGGEST mistake SSDI recipients make after being approved...............they stop seeing their doctors as well as taking their meds

Good Luck

Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
(female)

kristin79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Sounds like the second form sent was like a mini ADL/RFC. Have you completed and returned the form to SSA? If not, how long did they give you to have it completed and returned?
We just go the form yesterday and they gave us 10 days to get it back to them. I plan on having it in the mail Monday. Does this mean the reviewing is moving in a good direction? I have a feeling there is not much in his file on his abilities since he reached MMI more than 5years ago.

Last edited by kristin79; 10-27-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
(female)

kristin79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd144 View Post
Thats without a doubt the BIGGEST mistake SSDI recipients make after being approved...............they stop seeing their doctors as well as taking their meds

Good Luck
the doctors told him he reached Max medical improvement over 5 years ago and there was no need to see physical therapy anymore. He still flies back ti NIH for his yearly check up with those doctors. Kaiser wont do anything for him they said he is as good as he will get. They just want to talk to him and here his story. He was at the doctors last month because his right side now was giving him trouble and the Dr said to walk with a cane more because his right side it over compensating for the left side. Thats all they really do for him.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd144 View Post

Good Luck
Totally agree Ferd. It is the only way to prove to the SSA that you still can not work when they review you.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin79 View Post
We just go the form yesterday and they gave us 10 days to get it back to them. I plan on having it in the mail Monday. Does this mean the reviewing is moving in a good direction? I have a feeling there is not much in his file on his abilities since he reached MMI more than 5years ago.
From what you have said Kristin, I don't think your hubby will have a problem continuing SSDI esp. if the doctors have said he has reached MMI. That to me means that he is not going to get much better but may get worse.

Closed Thread